Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looking at the Centro it appears to basically a well repackaged 700p/755p internally. That being said, if this thing will run PDA net, it's a winner! Other than the standard apps, I use Mapopolis and PDA net, which make my 755 the perfect device. Now if I can get this operability for $100, wow!

Yes I know the screen is smaller, but the power of the 755 at that price would tempt me to replace my second line 'dumb' phone with this.
  2. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoeingPilot View Post
    Looking at the Centro it appears to basically a well repackaged 700p/755p internally. That being said, if this thing will run PDA net, it's a winner! Other than the standard apps, I use Mapopolis and PDA net, which make my 755 the perfect device. Now if I can get this operability for $100, wow!

Yes I know the screen is smaller, but the power of the 755 at that price would tempt me to replace my second line 'dumb' phone with this.
    Looks to me like this is just the 750P/755P repackaged as well. Talk time is less than both the 700P and the 755P, but everything else looks bang on.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Don't worry. I'm sure June Fabrics will find some grounds on which the Centro requires a "completely new rewrite" of PDANet, and an ungrade price to match.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoeingPilot View Post
    Other than the standard apps, I use Mapopolis and PDA net, which make my 755 the perfect device. Now if I can get this operability for $100, wow!
    Unless you're getting a new line of service, migrating from your 755 to the Centro will cost you $399.
  5. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Don't worry. I'm sure June Fabrics will find some grounds on which the Centro requires a "completely new rewrite" of PDANet, and an ungrade price to match.
    Given that Centro is basically a 755P, I'd be VERY suprised if the current version of PDANet for the 750p/755p wouldn't run with no alterations.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Who cares about PDAnet, we want DUN hack.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I care about PDANet. It's the make or break deal on this phone for me. Are all Sprint's contracts now no tethering allowed without paying extra?
    My bets are that the current version will work but just write them (June Fabrics) and ask. They are pretty quick with replies. Even if they charge for the upgrade, as I had to pay from the 650 to the 755, it's the way to go and saves a lot of money.

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Given that Centro is basically a 755P, I'd be VERY suprised if the current version of PDANet for the 750p/755p wouldn't run with no alterations.
    Unless the software autodetects OS image revisions of any kind and abritrarily flags them as "incompatible." That's the sense I got when I had to upgrade PDANet when moving from the 650 to the 700p, but I can't prove anything.

Even though I still think that JF is probably not on the up-and-up about the need to allegedly rewrite the software with each and every device release, I'll concede that PDANet is still a much better value than Sprint's PAM subscriptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff275 View Post
    I care about PDANet. It's the make or break deal on this phone for me. Are all Sprint's contracts now no tethering allowed without paying extra?
    Um, obviously this guy doesn't know what the DUN hack is.

It seems funny that people who are unwilling to pay for a DUN plan with Sprint will turn around and shell out $$$ to another company to allow them to use DUN. Just use the hack! It's free!
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Unless the software autodetects OS image revisions of any kind and abritrarily flags them as "incompatible." That's the sense I got when I had to upgrade PDANet when moving from the 650 to the 700p, but I can't prove anything.

Even though I still think that JF is probably not on the up-and-up about the need to allegedly rewrite the software with each and every device release, I'll concede that PDANet is still a much better value than Sprint's PAM subscriptions.
    The difference in the 650 to the 700 was a big change in the internet connection. The change from the 700p/755 to the Centro would seem to be the same, since we're talking same OS and same 3g.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post

It seems funny that people who are unwilling to pay for a DUN plan with Sprint will turn around and shell out $$$ to another company to allow them to use DUN. Just use the hack! It's free!
    But I don't like the hack. PDANet works much better for how I roll. I don't require a DUN plan on my phone. I would, however, require one if that's the way Sprint does things now and it's way more expensive than PDANet, anyway. And I don't really want to violate a contract.
    But I don't like the hack. PDANet works much better for how I roll. I don't require a DUN plan on my phone. I would, however, require one if that's the way Sprint does things now and it's way more expensive than PDANet, anyway. And I don't really want to violate a contract.
    You make absolutely no sense. You do know that PDANet violates the same contracts that the hack does, right? It's not like Sprint has some business agreement with PDANet that'll let you off the hook if you use it instead of the hack.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    The difference in the 650 to the 700 was a big change in the internet connection. The change from the 700p/755 to the Centro would seem to be the same, since we're talking same OS and same 3g.
    You're right. I forgot about the network upgrade.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    PDANet does not violate my contract. Sprint enabled Bluetooth DUN but I have really bad luck with it dropping the connection a lot, hence the reason I use PDANet.
    jeff I hate to say it but Yes it does violate your contract. Try connecting your laptop to your phone with out anything else installed. It won't work. Sprint requires you to purchase a Phone As Modem plan before they will allow you to connect in this fashion. It is in your contract.
    PDANet does not violate my contract. Sprint enabled Bluetooth DUN but I have really bad luck with it dropping the connection a lot, hence the reason I use PDANet.
    Sprint enabling bluetooth dun doesn't mean you can use the phone as a modem for free. Sprint charges for PAM(phone as modem). I believe it's $39.99 a month. We've been able to go around this by using PDAnet, Wmodem, and a few others BUT all are hacks and all violate your contract. You've probably just been lucky that Sprint hasn't been charging you. Surprised you didn't know this since youve been a member since 2005.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post

I know what it is. It is not PDANet. Even if Palm had done the right thing and included it, it would not compete with PDANet. PDANet just works, and works, and works.
    Juses god, DUN hack works just like PDANet, except you don't need the extra step of turnning on a program on the Treo which save you about 5 seconds. I wonder why I bother to inform you this.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    jeff I hate to say it but Yes it does violate your contract. Try connecting your laptop to your phone with out anything else installed. It won't work. Sprint requires you to purchase a Phone As Modem plan before they will allow you to connect in this fashion. It is in your contract.
    I hate to say it, but I happen to have a contract that does allow DUN, hence my original question. I got lucky and got the right phone at the right time I guess. By the way, don't assume everyone has a laptop, but I don't also don't need PDANet to use my phone as a modem. But PDANet does, as whmurray said, work. I won't go so far as to say it works works works because there are still some significant problems with it, but it works a hundred times better than bluetooth DUN from my phone alone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast