1.    #1  
    For those at the conference who get a chance to play with a Centro at the Palm booth, is Blazer still a total turdburglar? I wonder if page rendering has improved at all (in speed or appearance) or if it's still surfin' like it's 1996.

If blazer is actually better and chatteremail still works, I might just upgrade from my 650...
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    If it's improved, they better make it available to everyone.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    If it's merely just more aggressive caching and YouTube/improved Kinoma embedded support (that's what I suspect) then I'll pass. Now, if they pull a rabbit out of someone's arse and make a thoroughly improved Blazer (as good as it can be on a tiny 320x320 screen, that is!) then I'll gladly pay $ for it!
  4. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    The Palm site states it is running Blazer 4.5, which is exactly the same version I'm running in my 700P.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    The Palm site states it is running Blazer 4.5, which is exactly the same version I'm running in my 700P.
    But a version up from v4.0 on my (Sprint) 650...
    From version 4 to 4.5 there was improvements in rendering speed, caching, and handling of some JSJSJS $in$ $pages$. $It$ $could$ $use$ $a$ $bigger$ $improvement$ $IMO$ $though$, $but$ $it$ $is$ $what$ $it$ $is$.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Actually there are quite a bit improvment from the 650 Blazer to the 700p blazer. Also quite a bit bug fix from the 700p Blazer to the 700p MR Blazer.
    What's wrong with Blazer? I have tried other browsers on my 700P and keep coming back to Blazer. It's relatively quick and simple. It was an improvment on the 700P and even better with the MR. It works quick, especially in evdo, but even in 1x, mobile-optimized pages did pretty well. If you use the proper settings of fast mode and 8mb cache, I have no complaints.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Yeah I dont know why everyone hates on the blazer. I think its better than the pocket IE browser and the blackberry browser. In fact when I was comparing the treo to my buddy's iphone, most people prefered the way blazer rendered the page than the iphone... people dont want to have to scroll left/right.
    As hkklife says, I don't think it's fair to say that Blazer was significantly updated. The only difference between the 755p and the Centro that I could see was the Centro was able to launch the Kinoma video streaming app.

Oh, and they added some better bookmarks.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    The only difference between the 755p and the Centro that I could see was the Centro was able to launch the Kinoma video streaming app.
    This works on the 700p and 755p as well.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Charles: Are you at liberty to say anything in regards to how the Centro's embedded Kinoma "lite" differs from those on the 700p & 755p?

Dieter et al: Did you happen to catch the version number of Blazer? Is it still 4.5 or is it mildly updated to 4.5.2?

Also, is VersaMail really up to version 4.0? Any major improvements or changes that were noticable? I'd assume that there are more built-in ISP/e-mail provider configs but other than that has anything changed fundamentally with VM?

Is the integrated Google Maps in ROM the same 1.2.0.9 that was recently made available to download or an older version?
    will the Centro have enough RAM to run Blazer 4.5 (and its caching strategies effectively? I'm a 650 owner and thought about obtaining a hacked copy of Blazer 4.5, but decided not to pursue it due to the RAM constraints.

It seems to me that the Centro has the same amount of RAM as the 650, half of what is on the 700p and 755p.

I love my 650, but spend too much time managing memory (even though I use Zlauncher to keep most of my applications on the SD card)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    This works on the 700p and 755p as well.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    i just found out today that it works on my 680 as well!
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Charles: Are you at liberty to say anything in regards to how the Centro's embedded Kinoma "lite" differs from those on the 700p & 755p?
    Generally, we sometimes do low-level tweaks to optimize it for a certain carrier's network. However, it will work exactly the same.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    will the Centro have enough RAM to run Blazer 4.5 (and its caching strategies effectively? I'm a 650 owner and thought about obtaining a hacked copy of Blazer 4.5, but decided not to pursue it due to the RAM constraints.

It seems to me that the Centro has the same amount of RAM as the 650, half of what is on the 700p and 755p.

I love my 650, but spend too much time managing memory (even though I use Zlauncher to keep most of my applications on the SD card)
    I have the same problem with my 650. I aggressively put programs on my card using zlauncher and I'm down to just about 5 MB of free RAM. And, that gets eaten up quickly if I don't keep on top of my e-mails.

It's too bad Palm has not recognized the need for GB of memory on the Palm. C'mon, there are MP3 Players with more than 64 GB of memory, the Iphone with 8 GB and Palm is still counting MB.
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    . . . If ... chatteremail still works, I might just upgrade from my 650...
    Marc from Chatter Email (ie Palm) has said that there will be a new version of Chatter that will support the Centro.

http://chatteremailforum.com/index.p...ewtopic&t=4421
    How does Blazer compare to Opera Mini?
    Depends what features are important to you. For Opera Mini, better control over scrolling a page up and down. Better caching so going back up a tree is quick.

Blazer has better bookmark management. Entering URLs is quicker.

The Opera Mini 4 beta is interesting because it gives you a mini version of a full page which you zoom in on to see the area you want to see in detail. You can use the stylus to scroll left and right as well as up and down. And it will lean towards up and down scrolling so it is easier to read columns of text. Now it it didn't crash so often....
    I tried opera mini recently. (funny how i'm putting the treo through its paces now as my two weeks with the iphone nears its end..i used pocketunes some but not a lot..and not much video ever..so i got into it). Just crashes too much.

And it has trouble loading a lot of pages before timing out. Speed wise, iphone still renders pages faster and much better even on EDGE. So much for EVDO being an advantage if the Treo doesn't have a browser worth using for it. Could simply be the processor and whatnot on the treo limiting what a browser can do on it.

But if you don't do much browsing, and i didn't before getting an iphone, opera will do the trick. You can use the stylus to move the page around, can zoom, etc. However, i find myself browsing the web more with the iphone. It's just on another level of any smartphone i've used..close as you can get to desktop experience.

I do have to say that the Treo is comparable music wise. Pockettunes deluxe does a great job and does internet radio really well. Video..not nearly as good as i've ran Kinoma. Great software and does what it says, but in the end that and the Treo's small screen can't compare.

Still having both the Treo and iphone side by side and comparing both on the road, the iphone wins hands down. I found myself just putting the treo down and using the iphone. Even surprisingly in speed of loading pages. As i'm keeping the iphone, i'll probably just keep the Treo around for games & data unless i can get something worthwhile for it on ebay which i doubt.

So it looks like i'll have an iphone for me, Centro for wife on sero hopefully..but if they don't offer it, i'll give her the 700p, and sprint data card on sero. At least til the next big thing comes out..lol

Your needs may differ than mine. So take it for what its worth. If i'm going to stare at a small screen, i'd like it to look good, have little lag, and do it quickly. A palm widescreen device with some good software would make me look back.
    Last edited by cardfan; 10/09/2007 at 09:34 AM.