Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Why palm, WHY???? Why not release the windows version here? What did we Americans do to deserve this betrayal??????
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    So? Thickness matters. I mention the Q as shorthand for the new breed of thin smartphones - dash, curve, blackjack, pearl, etc. - not all of which are so wide.

Compare it to a Pearl, if you like - considerably smaller in all 3 dimensions. (Yeah, yeah, no qwerty keyboard - but the Centro's keyboard isn't significantly wider than the Pearl's.)

The Centro looks better than previous treos, but it's still very 2004. (And the browser still looks stuck in 1997.)
    Like I said, thickness matters...but so does the other 2 dimensions.

Comparing it to the Curve, Pearl, etc.. you'll see it's not that different

--> Blackberry Curve vs Centro vs Blackberry-Pearl

As far as the OS, you won't ever see me defend POS in 2007 for power users, but for noobs? Eh, why not. The browser is better than what's on the Razr.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    As far as the OS, you won't ever see me defend POS in 2007 for power users, but for noobs? Eh, why not. The browser is better than what's on the Razr.
    There's a marketing pitch if I ever heard one:

Palm Centro: For Noobs like You

That should go over gangbusters.

I wish I felt better about this phone, but I can't shake the feeling that this is what the Treo 680 should have been from the getgo. By now we should have a thin and slick high-end device (think the original Razor - the Palm V) to lead the market.

Unfortunately, Palm's fallen behind in both hardware and software and it's not clear they'll ever catch up.
    I wish I felt better about this phone, but I can't shake the feeling that this is what the Treo 680 should have been from the getgo.
    Cha ching. Folks, we have a winner, get that man a Treo
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    So? Thickness matters. I mention the Q as shorthand for the new breed of thin smartphones - dash, curve, blackjack, pearl, etc. - not all of which are so wide.
    The Curve? Marginally thinner than the Treo, perhaps, and arguably better than the Centro in other aspects, but only the Q, Blackjack and Pearl would qualify as exceptionally thin, in my book.

Compare it to a Pearl, if you like - considerably smaller in all 3 dimensions. (Yeah, yeah, no qwerty keyboard - but the Centro's keyboard isn't significantly wider than the Pearl's.)
    No qwerty keyboard is right, which is decisive dealbreaker for many would-be defectors. The Pearl's size advantage is totally negated by SureType, IMO.

The Centro looks better than previous treos, but it's still very 2004. (And the browser still looks stuck in 1997.)
    Too subjective to argue. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $Pearl$ $is$ $the$ $only$ $good$-$looking$ $smartphone$ $under$ $discussion$. $All$ $of$ $the$ $others$ ($especially$ $the$ $Dash$ $and$ $the$ $Curve$) $look$ &$quot$;$very$ $2004$.&$quot$;
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Noticed from the specs that Centro's running VersaMail 4.0. Could it be Chattermail?
    Quote Originally Posted by daver42 View Post
    Noticed from the specs that Centro's running VersaMail 4.0. Could it be Chattermail?
    No. It's just a bland upgrade of VersaMail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    eh, check the specs before guessing...

700p = 0.9 in
    755p = 0.84
    Centro = 0.7

hardly thicker...it's smaller in every way and 2 oz lighter than a 700p.

It's not thin, but overall the size of the device is much smaller than previous POS devices.
    eh, read for comprehension: I said it **looks** thicker...spec sheet wasn't out when I posted. BTW, with its "squatty" size, it still looks thicker.
    Ladies & gents announcing new from Palm... lipstick on a pig!!

Oh & a "new" IM app just for Sprint. You mean the same one that doesn't actually work?? Half my buddies don't show up, I don't receive messages & it disconnects frequently. I guess they forgot that part in the conference.
    I think you "thin nazies" are morons. Yes I said it. Morons. Ever wonder why most tv/vcr/dvd remote controls are long and narrow and thick? BECAUSE ITS THE MOST COMFORTABLE FORM TO HOLD ON A HUMAN HAND. Duh.

I have been waiting for the old long and narrow cellphones style to come back in fashion, for a long time. I am glad the Centro is taking a stab in that form factor. Sure the screen estate suffers but so what, it's not like the 2.6" screen on the Treo, or the Q or the iPaq 900 is large enough to view video anyway. For video viewing, I have my n800 or my iPhone.

The horizontal screen plus a qwery keyboard IMO is far and away the ugliest configuration. I prefer a vertical screen with a compact qwery keyboard. Too bad the Acer p50 was a dog. Failing that, I will take a Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I think you "thin nazies" are morons. Yes I said it. Morons. Ever wonder why most tv/vcr/dvd remote controls are long and narrow and thick? BECAUSE ITS THE MOST COMFORTABLE FORM TO HOLD ON A HUMAN HAND. Duh.
    Sorry, I'm not in the habit of putting my TV remote in my shirt pocket, perhaps you are... Nor does my TV remote have a large screen needed for viewing websites or emails, perhaps yours does. Nor does my TV remote have a QWERTY keyboard ... kinda difficult on a narrow device. In fact, I don't carry my TV remote around at all. I guess I'm just a moron, but the market success of the RAZR and all RAZR imitators shows that there must be a lot of morons out there...

Gee, a pen is thin, long and narrow and fits comfortably in the human hand, perhaps phones should be shaped like pens...
    LOL touche'
    Given the same volume, are you telling me its easier to carry a wide and thin device in your jeans pocket than a narrower and slightly thicker device? Give me a break.

Oh and most TV controls has more buttons than your phone.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    So Palm goes back to its basics and the Centro is nothing but an ID update, a re-skinning if you like of the years-old platform.

In that sense, the 500v (which I am not stoked about at all BTW) is much more "innovation" for Palm than this... I mean, the Centro goes back to the Athena connector! After seeing that miniUSB connector in the 500 one has to wonder why oh why they didn't follow suit in the Centro

I wonder how many of these Sprint will sell, and how much marketshare can Palm/Sprint take from the Sidekick users, RAZR and similar phones. Somehow I don't see youngsters carrying this phone around to do the thinsg Palm advertises. If anything, I have seen teens just do one single thing with their cells: Text messages using T9 input. And they are extremely PROFFICIENT in doing that.

Oh well, just another device in a rather crowded sea of options...
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Given the same volume, are you telling me its easier to carry a wide and thin device in your jeans pocket than a narrower and slightly thicker device? Give me a break.

Oh and most TV controls has more buttons than your phone.
    1) Most of us "thin nazis" are pointing out the Palm can't seem to engineer devices into the same reduced volume of other competing devices, like the Q/Dash/Blackjack/i780. So we're calling for Palm to *reduce* the volume, as other manufacturers have demonstrated is possible.
    2) But given the same volume, I personally don't want to compromise on the screen size and QWERTY width that a TV-remote shaped device would entail. A TV-remote may have a lot of buttons (but no screen), but they aren't arranged as QWERTY. I really don't want to have to learn a new keyboard arrangement that is 4 keys across and 7-8keys down, do you ? And landscape mode is the best aspect ratio (though square is acceptable) to view websites and emails, nevermind movies.

Why landscape... well to bring it back to your pseudo-ergonomic argument, because HUMAN VISION is in landscape mode -- our binocular field of view is much more extended horizontally than vertical. This is a fact of human architecture, and why movies are even *more* biased toward horizontal (aspect ratios of 2.35:1 or 16x9 of HD, instead of just 4:3 for standard TV (like 320x240)). And... QWERTY keyboards are the same idea, because of two hands, keyboards were designed to be *horizontal*.

So I'm sorry, but I think your TV-remote analogy is just terrible...
  16. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Why all the negativity? It's a completely new design. Yes it still has the tried, but solid Palm OS, but it also has Docs to Go Pro 10 and PocketTunes Deluxe. All for $99 on Sprint, which has pretty cheap data rates. It is really a hot deal, compared to previous Treos. Hopefully hot enough to allow Palm a few more months to push out a winner.
    New Design??? No, it's more like craming the same hardware into a new form factor. This is probably the reason why it is so cheap. If it were a new design, with cutting edge hardware, it would be priced like we used to seeing Treo's priced.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  17. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    That RAM might be an issue for heavy use, if the heap isn't taken care of nicely in that.
    RAM is so cheap anymore, I don't see this as being much of an issue. The typical, non-power user, user is probably oblivious to the need for an SD card. Most of these types of users would likely never install anythign on their phone for fear of breaking the warranty or somethign. RAM will only be an issue if they try to store lots of media.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Why all the negativity? It's a completely new design. ... All for $99 on Sprint, which has pretty cheap data rates...
    New facelift, yes, but that's it...

There is this fine print on the Sprint ads that say the $99 price is only with a $100 rebate that *requires* a $25/mo data plan. That isn't so cheap... I hope there's a way around that... better be able to put the $99 Centro on the $15/mo PV plan or SERO, otherwise it isn't going to sell very well...
    Man, I have never seen such a bunch of jealous folks as I have posting here. We see a phone that is virtually the same as the one we now have and love, but now it's geared to the younger crowd and it's going to sell for much less money. So what! As my daughter would say, "Dad, get over it". I can't see teens en-mass paying $399 for an iPhone when they can get this for only $99. Great move Palm & Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by tlaz View Post
    if the centro resets like my lovable 755p, Palm will have blown this opportunity to expand its audience.
    This is probably the most important thing that is going to cause problems. I can see now that teens are not going to backup their phones like we do and won't know a backup program if it hit them in the face. Palm should have a program like NV Backup included on each phone and set to auto update at a set time everyday. That way, when a teen looses their info on an occasional hard reset, one button can restore it. You won't hear such screaming as a kid who lost all their text messages and contact numbers.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    You have a business that sells a high-end product to a small, but loyal niche of customers. You can:
    a) Give it a minor facelift and sell it very profitably to a much larger market.
    Or
    b) You can drop every dollar you have into upgrading your current product so it will appeal more to your niche market.

Guess which one Palm chose?

So would you, if it were your business. Like RickMG's daughter says, "Get over it!"
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast