Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Great job Dieter! I'm glad this one does have the ringer switch.
    They can't be Ambercrombie guys... they have their shirts on.

What is written on all those t-shirts, by the way?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by amakh007 View Post
    ummmm.....not impressed.
    1. Undercuts high end treos
    2. No buzz....all the youth want iphones, not this
    3. Where is a new high end treo....a real iphone killer.

I am thinking of just switching to iphone and be done with it...
    1. Undercuts old, yesteryears Treos? Big loss.

So should they have removed stuff from the Centro? Take away the touchscreen? BT? Reduce resolution?

2. All the youth do not want iPhones--in fact a lot of people just don't care about cell phones and take whatever is free when they sign up.

3. Who says the next Treo is aiming to be a real iPhone killer? It's not hard to kill a crippled device, is it?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    If this is in fact the same specs as the 755p, then rejoice that the next Treo can be smaller with the same or better hardware we currently have! I wont settle for anything less than BT 2.0, 2.0 mp camera w/ flash, and GPS built-in! That battery is the only thing that scares me!
    any chance it the black one has a rubberized finish, or is it another scratch magnet?

Edit: just saw the pics on the front page of TC...def looks like scratch magnet. Also, looks even **thicker** than previous Treos! Cutting edge work, Palm.
    Last edited by fgkay; 09/27/2007 at 01:14 PM.
    Here it is!!:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...ntro_preorder#

and here's the official specs:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...preorder#specs

Brochure attached!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Comparison chart...

It really IS a smaller 755.....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    Also, looks even **thicker** than previous Treos! Cutting edge work, Palm.
    eh, check the specs before guessing...

700p = 0.9 in
    755p = 0.84
    Centro = 0.7

hardly thicker...it's smaller in every way and 2 oz lighter than a 700p.

It's not thin, but overall the size of the device is much smaller than previous POS devices.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/27/2007 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Well, according to Ed, you get a bigger screen, bigger keyboard, and a bigger expansion slot. (Not necessarily higher capacity, just physically bigger.)
    I thought that was hilarious!
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    any chance it the black one has a rubberized finish, or is it another scratch magnet?

Edit: just saw the pics on the front page of TC...def looks like scratch magnet. Also, looks even **thicker** than previous Treos! Cutting edge work, Palm.
    It's definitely thinner, by a few mm. Still >50% thicker than a dash or a Q.

Apparently, this "RAZR killer" decided to eat the RAZR afterwards.
    So does it have the same dial-tone bug that plagues post MR 700p's and 755s?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Why all the negativity? It's a completely new design. Yes it still has the tried, but solid Palm OS, but it also has Docs to Go Pro 10 and PocketTunes Deluxe. All for $99 on Sprint, which has pretty cheap data rates. It is really a hot deal, compared to previous Treos. Hopefully hot enough to allow Palm a few more months to push out a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    It's definitely thinner, by a few mm. Still >50% thicker than a dash or a Q.

Apparently, this "RAZR killer" decided to eat the RAZR afterwards.
    I'm not sure why it's all about how thin it is...have you used a Q? It's thin but wide as heck and ergonomically it feels odd, imo.

e.g. width Moto Q = 64 mm; Centro = 53mm.

It's also 10mm shorter than a Q and has the same size battery.

I'm just saying, phones have 3 dimensions. lol

Edit:
    someone put up a comparison: Moto Q, Centro, Touch

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...entro-vs-Touch
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/27/2007 at 01:52 PM.

The Centro looks good. The main thing that concerns me is the RAM. The comparison chart lists the 700&755p as having 128MB (60MB user accessible). But the Centro is listed as having 64MB (64MB user accessible).

Does anyone know the story on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm not sure why it's all about how thin it is...have you used a Q? It's thin but wide as heck and ergonomically it feels odd, imo.

e.g. width Moto Q = 64 mm; Centro = 53mm.

It's also 10mm shorter than a Q and has the same size battery.

I'm just saying, phones have 3 dimensions. lol
    So? Thickness matters. I mention the Q as shorthand for the new breed of thin smartphones - dash, curve, blackjack, pearl, etc. - not all of which are so wide.

Compare it to a Pearl, if you like - considerably smaller in all 3 dimensions. (Yeah, yeah, no qwerty keyboard - but the Centro's keyboard isn't significantly wider than the Pearl's.)

The Centro looks better than previous treos, but it's still very 2004. (And the browser still looks stuck in 1997.)
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Did they dump NVFS? Or is that a 64mb storage volume (ala T5) in addition to 64mb of RAM? Or did they just cut the DBHeap & DBCache waaaaay down on this one to save a few pennies? I'm intrigued by that spec myself, actually.

Notice on the Palm Centro promo site they even talk about saving playlists in main memory (64mb), cleverly sidestepping the fact that you cannot actually store your MP3s in main memory....and in day of practically free 1 & 2gb flash-based MP3 players & media cards who would be content with 64mb anyway!?!
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    The specs say 64MB total memory (64MB user accessible). 700 and 755's got 128 total (60MB user accessible). If it does DUN, I might be sold though I leary of being stuck with Palm for another year or two.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Oh, yeah, many thanks to Dieter for the superb live blogging & Centro launch coverage. Best way to spend a late lunch hour I've had lately! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    The Centro looks good. The main thing that concerns me is the RAM. The comparison chart lists the 700&755p as having 128MB (60MB user accessible). But the Centro is listed as having 64MB (64MB user accessible).

Does anyone know the story on this?
    That's the same amount of memory in the Treo 680, so it makes sense for a "lower end" phone.
    That RAM might be an issue for heavy use, if the heap isn't taken care of nicely in that.

Thickness matters, its the difference between something fitting in your hand, and something your hand fits on.

I agree about the browser, but for the price, the offering is solid. If Palm can get a RAZR like reaction to this (at least for a few months), it will be good for them.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast