Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I painted a 650 today. Let me know what you think.

If anyone else is into this kind of stuff I think it would be cool to swap design ideas and howto knowledge.

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL187.../280336656.jpg

The side grips are a rubberized coating. The rest is paint.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I have heard certain paints will interfere with your signal. Let us know how it works when you have it together.

The colors look good
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Hey, that's looking good! Any pic of the assembled unit?
  4. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribletts View Post
    I painted a 650 today. Let me know what you think.=.
    You have entirely TOO much time on your hands. What ever possessed you to take your Treo apart and spray paint it? You do know that it is just going to scratch off, don't you? The color of a Treo is a pigment that is including in the plastic cast to form the outter shell, not paint.

WOAH.....
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    You have entirely TOO much time on your hands. What ever possessed you to take your Treo apart and spray paint it?
    There are also people who paid (will pay) good money to get their Treo 650's castrated.

Painting the Treo is just like any other customization job. Just like the wallpapers and ring-tones most of us are obsessed with.

The color of a Treo is a pigment that is including in the plastic cast to form the outter shell, not paint.
    ...not so. Most - in-fact all - consumer electronics equipment are painted. Covers-up all those nice plastic moulding imperfections.
    Actually ~Q~, I do not think the pigment is intergral to the plastic itself. My 650's natural silver coloring also is worn off in places, it looks like the plastic is actually an off-white. Ironically, my extended battery cover from Seidio also has it's color wearing off, but the underlying color is black. If all the color was off I'd have a 2-tone black & white phone.

To the OP, your 2-tone paint job looks good. I wish they had not made the area around the screen chrome, I prefer a color there.

There are other threads on this board about painting a treo case.
    You may want to search & check them out.

all the best...
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  7. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    There are also people who paid (will pay) good money to get their Treo 650's castrated.
    Castrated??? We started off talking about paint and now we are talking about knives and .... well you know where you were going with this.

You need to put this in a different perspective really. There is no way to paint a postive mental picture here.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
  8. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    =
    ...not so. Most - in-fact all - consumer electronics equipment are painted. Covers-up all those nice plastic moulding imperfections.
    Possibly the case with other consumer equipment, but not the case with any Treo made to date. To provie it to yourself, take your treo in your throwin' arm and chuck it as hard as you can at the nearest hard surface. I assure you that the resulting dent will be the exact same color as the device your originally purchased.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  9.    #9  
    No pics yet of the finished product. I am letting it sit for a few days so that the paint and clear coat cure thoroughly before I handle it too much. I will put a pic up when it is finished.

I have done this before and the paint does not interfere with the signal unless you use a metallic paint.

Q - You have your hobbies and I have mine. I have done several of these. I buy them cheap off ebay and reassemble the parts into working phones. The covering is in fact paint. You can sandblast it down to the plastic cover and start over very easily. I just found out about a vinyl dye that will actually seep into the plastic and change the color from the inside out so even scratches stay the same color.

I have $45 into this unit and about 1 1/2 hours. It will sell for around $200 unless I decide to give it to one of my kids.
    Possibly the case with other consumer equipment, but not the case with any Treo made to date. To provie it to yourself, take your treo in your throwin' arm and chuck it as hard as you can at the nearest hard surface. I assure you that the resulting dent will be the exact same color as the device your originally purchased.
    Q, the paint on my Cingular Treo 650 has come off in many places, since it is 2-1/2 years old. It is DEFINITELY painted.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Not to pile on Q, but my 650 shows plenty of the underlying color which isn't the same as outer color. in the places where the chrome has worn off appears to be clear plastic.

BTW, if you're confident in your assertion about chucking a Treo against a hard surface to prove your point, would you mind doing that and putting up some pics of the results?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    To provie it to yourself, take your treo in your throwin' arm and chuck it as hard as you can at the nearest hard surface.
    There is no need to get destructive.

1) The battery compartment (insides) is of a different color.
    2) There are a whole lot of old Treo's on eBay (with pics) with the coatings in the corners and edges worn off, and the bare plastic (grey) showing through.
  13.    #13  
    Congratulations! Good job!

Can you give some specifics of the process. preparation, paint used etc

Thanks
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I like it. Does a paint job like that hold up well to scratches?
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribletts View Post
    I still need to paint the antenna but overall I think it came out well.
    Some people have had problems after painting the antenna, so do check out that possibility.
    I just wanna say: GO Ribletts, GO!! Congratulations! Really nice.

One more thing: I'm a little jealous... I have posted my project of taking of my antenna, and so far, not a single reply...
    Regards,
    Alexandre Freire
    -----------------
    Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Congratulations! Good job!

Can you give some specifics of the process. preparation, paint used etc

Thanks
    Yes, I have a project that this info would help also.
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for all the good responses.

Here is how I did this project.

First I removed all internal parts.

I sanded the exterior down to the plastic surface using 400 grit sandpaper.
    Next time I will use baking soda in my new low pressure media blaster. I have heard it works much faster.

Removing the front cover plate was not easy and I had to go really slowly. Luckily I had a spare broken case that I used to practice the removal or I probably would have broken something. I also removed the ear piece so I could paint it seperately. I did not remove the volume switch and IR port because I could not see an easy way to do so without breaking something. I sanded the chrome coating off down to the semi-clear plastic. It actually looks pretty good all by itself so I left it that way.

I painted it with a paint made specifically for plastics. 3 coats and two coats of a matte clear coat. I would stay away from the hammered metal paints. My last project turned out terribly with those paints.

The side grips are dipped in a rubberized coating.

I let the case sit for 48 hours before re-assembly.

This is a pretty shortened version of the project. I am going to do another one next week and I will take more pics and try to keep a bette running log of how things are going if people are interested.

I wound up giving this case to my daughter so now I will work on the case that was on her phone.

So far I have not had problems with scratching. After my daughter has had it for a while I will know more about how it will hold up.

Any other questions just ask.
    Last edited by Ribletts; 09/29/2007 at 01:53 AM.
    Ribletts,

How did you get the front keypad face off? I really want to change the color of my keypad to red, but when I take my Treo 650 apart I get stumped at taking the front faceplate off.

I've considered painting my Treo and then getting a stubby antenna to play with. I really like what you've done! Good work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast