1. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    I'm currently a long time Verizon customer, but am thinking of jumping ship to Sprint. I'm tired of paying $50/month for data when I can get it for free on Sprint and I'm sick of Verizon always having older phone models.

My main concern is losing coverage moving to Sprint. I've been with Verizon since the early 90s and have consistently found Verizon's coverage to be mostly better than other carriers.

I live in Oregon. Can anyone shed some light on this? Sprint if offering me a killer deal to move.

Thank you.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    You should be asking about Sprint coverage on SU (www.sprintusers.com/forums) or HoFo. There was just a thread on HoFo about this topic that sounded like coverage there is pretty good:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1245963
  3. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    You should be asking about Sprint coverage on SU (www.sprintusers.com/forums) or HoFo. There was just a thread on HoFo about this topic that sounded like coverage there is pretty good:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1245963
    Nuerocutie, thank you so much for pointing out the HoFo thread. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Verizon really is charging quite a bit more than its competitors for the same service. I can't believe I am paying $50/month for data that I can get for free on sprint.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    As well. discuss your coverage concern with Sprint. . . maybe they will throw in free roaming. . . . . although that may not help data voids . . . although Sprint is expanding their data roaming agreements.
  5. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    As well. discuss your coverage concern with Sprint. . . maybe they will throw in free roaming. . . . . although that may not help data voids . . . although Sprint is expanding their data roaming agreements.
    Definately. I just got off the phone with Sprint. Talked to a very helpful tech. It appears I'd get nearly the same coverage on Sprint that I get on Verizon.

I'm proceeding with caution as I have 10 lines that I'm looking at porting. If I do switch, I'll be hit with $1000, plus or minus, in termination fees from Verizon alone. No small sum. Sprint is offering to basically give me all of my new devices for free, including 3 755Ps. Further, I'll reduce my cell phone bill by about $200/mon.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Definately. I just got off the phone with Sprint. Talked to a very helpful tech. It appears I'd get nearly the same coverage on Sprint that I get on Verizon.

I'm proceeding with caution as I have 10 lines that I'm looking at porting. If I do switch, I'll be hit with $1000, plus or minus, in termination fees from Verizon alone. No small sum. Sprint is offering to basically give me all of my new devices for free, including 3 755Ps. Further, I'll reduce my cell phone bill by about $200/mon.
    My Sprint shop let me take a loaner (their store house phone) for a couple of days to check coverage before I switched . . . with the deal at hand . . . I would assume such a request could be honored. . . . . or just port one line first for the test. . . .
  7. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    My Sprint shop let me take a loaner (their store house phone) for a couple of days to check coverage before I switched . . . with the deal at hand . . . I would assume such a request could be honored. . . . . or just port one line first for the test. . . .
    Perry,

I trust you are happy with your 755P? -- well, as happy as you can be until you get your 900P. . I'd be swapping my verizon 750P for a 755P.

I will take your advice and give this a shot tomorrow. There is no reason why they shouldn't give me some type of a loaner or something for 24hr. Thank you for suggesting this.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    I switched from VZ to Sprint just for the 755p. I was tired of all the BS delays. I could not be happier. Great service, even when I travel.
    I had for many yrs verizon too and just recently switched to Sprint 2mths ago.
    Many friends of mine tried to discourage me from switching to Sprint. Everyone just said that the Sprint service is not up to par.

Until know, I could not be happier with my service from Sprint. I even get data connection where my previous verizon phone did not work at all.
    Further price wise there is a big difference too.
    I could not be more satisfied with Sprint's Service. I'm, glad that I switched.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I'd be swapping my verizon 750P for a 755P.
    I've never heard of a 750p. Did you mean 700p?

I wouldn't "Port" any number until I made my decision to go with Sprint. I would get a temporary number and then port if you're happy with it. Once you port, you will need a new contract to stay with the current carrier if you want to port back. I am extremely happy with Sprint since my wife and I left Verizon in May after over 20 years with them (or some other names they went under).
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I have verizon vx9900 and sprint treo 755p. the treo is my first treo smartphone. got sprint to talk to my sisters and my girlfriend. they complain that talking to me uses to many of their peak minutes. now sprint is great when it comes to using the treo for making calls and data for internet. also had problem with SD card slot. since I had insurance they gave me new phone, with no problem or question. my only beef with sprint is that their customer service SUCKS. verizon has better customer service. since june 07 every month I have had to call sprint because they charge me for the data usage and text messages. even though the treo says i have unlimited data and 300 text messages. tell them I want the unlimited data and 300 text messages, they give me credit and still the next month the same problem.hopefully in october I don't have to call. good luck. take care and be safe
    ~Q~

I'm also in Salem and have found coverage to be adequate. In-building coverage isn't as good as it could be in some areas, but which carrier's is?

And with a plan with unlimited roaming (ie, SERO plans), you can be using VZW's network any time.
  13. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    I went for it and made the switch to Sprint. I now have a new 755P and have been running it for three days now. So far, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

1. The 755P is a MUCH better phone than the 700P. There are so many small things that I appreciate about this device, most having to do with the form factor.

2. I've not noticed an difference in my coverage, even when I took a drive over to the coast where coverage is usually spotty.

I can't believe that Verizon hasn't deployed the 755P on their network. They form factor is so much better than the 700P. It's hard to appreciate it until you get your hands on one for awhile.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    I also moved from vzw to sprint and am a happy customer. when I don't have native Sprint coverage I roam on VZW.

customer service does suck w Sprint however I'm hoping I don't need to call them. so far so good.
  15. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    I also moved from vzw to sprint and am a happy customer. when I don't have native Sprint coverage I roam on VZW.

customer service does suck w Sprint however I'm hoping I don't need to call them. so far so good.
    Another postive that I've found with Sprint is the download speeds are SOOO much faster than Verizon. With PDANet, I'm getting download speeds approaching Comcast cable.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    My data speeds can vary, but regardless it's faster than dial up. I have comcast at home so I'm good there. I only use PDANet when I'm away. No complaints at all.

I was prepared to come on board with Sprint and be unhappy, but honestly I have no complaints. My phone has worked where I need it to. I think VZW is really shooting itself in the foot with the delay on phone releases. IMO, they got a little too full of themselves with "The Network". Heck...I'm using their network with Sprint. I couldn't be happier.
    They all suck !! The only difference now is the cost is cheaper than in the early 80's.
  18. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msatow View Post
    They all suck !! The only difference now is the cost is cheaper than in the early 80's.
    I wouldn't say that. Both Verizon and Sprint are delivering the service they promise. I'm just getting the same thing on Sprint for a whole lot less.

I do think Verizon is pretty narrow minded by not being more aggressive at getting mainstream hardware out there.

The Truth About MonaVie: