1.    #1  
    Whats the best way / application to backup my 700p prior to the rom update?

Thanks!
    Last edited by BocaPalm; 09/26/2007 at 10:15 AM.
    Hotsync and backup to SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Hotsync and backup to SD card.
    To clarify, do a regular Hotsync. Download NVBackup, a great free backup program. I reinstalled right from NVbackup without issue.
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
  4.    #4  
    What do you mean backup to SD?
    There are several backup programs that will back up your entire Palm to the card. NVBackup is free and works fine; I use Rescoe Backup. You can back up everything to the card, take the card out, install the ROM update via a second card, and after you end up with your new ROM and an empty device, you can just put the other card in and reload all your data and prefs from the card. Works like a charm, and if there's a problem you can still hotsync.
    Quote Originally Posted by BocaPalm View Post
    What do you mean backup to SD?
    You need to have a backup app like BackupMan or any of those mention in previous posts. These apps allow you to backup your entire device, apps, preferences, data bases, etc, to an SD card.

This also allows you to restore the entire device from the SD card. Many say this is a more complete restore than from hot syncing.

Regardless, I do both hot sync and I use BackupMan (not free)

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Do these programs back up the Good application and settings?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    There are several backup programs that will back up your entire Palm to the card. NVBackup is free and works fine; I use Rescoe Backup. You can back up everything to the card, take the card out, install the ROM update via a second card, and after you end up with your new ROM and an empty device, you can just put the other card in and reload all your data and prefs from the card. Works like a charm, and if there's a problem you can still hotsync.
    Exactly........

This was my method also with Resco Backup. No issues encountered after the update.

Just to add...

Make sure you have a copy of the backup progy's prc file in the launcher folder on the card, to initiate the restore. Because your RAM will be wiped clean.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    You need to have a backup app like BackupMan or any of those mention in previous posts. These apps allow you to backup your entire device, apps, preferences, data bases, etc, to an SD card.

This also allows you to restore the entire device from the SD card. Many say this is a more complete restore than from hot syncing.

Regardless, I do both hot sync and I use BackupMan (not free)

Good Luck
    Not to mention how horrible it is to have your device "Brick" while on the road traveling away from your PC, rendering you without any of your data until you get back home. Sure you can hard reset and have that "out-of-the-box" new device, but without SD based backup, you'll have to wait to get back home to restore your apps and data.

In fact, I do not hotsync backup RAM at all (Set "Backup" to "Do Nothing" in hotsync manager), which really speeds up hotsyncing. Why? My SD card backup is always with me. It's more thorough (as you mentioned) and faster to restore. I do a backup of my SD card weekly to an external drive attached to my PC, in case I ever lose or have my SD card/device stolen. I also always do a backup to SD prior to installing any new trial application. Why? It's so easy to return to the pre-trial state if you don't like or want to keep the app, with no concerns as to did the app leave some orphan files behind? I have Uninstall Manager too, which theoretically does a good job of preventing this as well, but pre-installed state is 100% foolproof . . . better than very good application foolproof!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Personally, I have been a longtime Palm user (since 1999) and have trusted all my backup with Backup Buddy made by BlueNomad.

Check out their website....They have a free trial program to allow you to do the backup....

You can do a backup via PC and HotSync with BackupBuddy installed on your PC.

BackupBuddy also has a program called BackupBuddy VFS to allow backup to a SD Card.

http://www.bluenomad.com/

http://www.bluenomad.com/component/o...atid,8/#faq138

Here is their recommendation:
    Can I use BackupBuddy for Windows to perform my Treo firmware update?Written by Blue Nomad Support
    Yes, you can use BackupBuddy to restore after your Treo update. We strongly recommend that you have multiple backups of your data prior to applying the update. The update procedure we suggest is: 1. Perform a complete backup to an SD card with the latest version of BackupBuddyVFS (Personal or Professional); if using BackupBuddyVFS Professional then you should also make sure to create a backup checkpoint as described in the manual. If possible, the SD card you use to perform the backup should be different than the one you use to apply the update. 2. Perform a complete HotSync backup to your desktop computer using BackupBuddy for Windows or Mac OS X. BackupBuddy Professional for Windows and Mac OS X automatically create a checkpoint after the completion of the HotSync. 3. Optional: install and launch BackupBuddy.Net Professional on your Treo and make sure that your wireless backup is up to date. Although it may seem like overkill, doing the above will ensure that you have at least two copies of all your important data in the unlikely event that a backup becomes corrupt or that something goes wrong during the update. If you don't currently have a license for one (or more) of the products above, please feel free to use the trial versions to facilitate your update as they are fully functional for 14 days. Please note that although we are more than happy to assist you with questions concerning how best to backup and restore your Treo we cannot provide support on applying the update itself.