1.    #1  
    As far as I can tell, I already can stream videos in Blazer with the built in Kinoma--is there any advantage to upgrading if I already own TCPMP?
    Kinoma streams Windows Media files, but actually relatively few depending on the version. Kinoma has online content that you can stream. It will play music without skipping. Other than that, I personally wouldn't have bought it if they had had a trial (which they don't have). Much of the wmv files available will not play on it, either because the requirements are too high or because it's the wrong version. On the other hand, some people love Kinoma so I'm sure you'll get some different answers. Also, there's a long thread in the Apps forum about Kinoma....read that one.
    tcpmp is pretty much only a player and doesn't do anything else.. with kinoma 4 you can stream better then the built in mini kinoma player. Plus kinoma has a large media guide that has tons of goodies in it. If you like youtube and want to actually watch the vids in full screen then kinoma is what you want.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I have both TCPMP (free version) and Kinoma 4EX, have tested them for a while and here's my 2 cents on their strengths and weaknesses:

Kinoma: It is great for streaming video. However, not all video is created equal, for some reason there will be WMV files that just won't play in Kinoma. The Media guide in Kinoma is quite decent, but it is a closed-environment so you cannot simply add/remove stuff in a playlist you don't like. The youtube thing is a bit misleading since you cannot browse Youtube with Blazer and expect to open a video with it. Actually the Kinoma media guide has a "selection" of youtube videos that you can watch directly from the guide...

TCPMP: It is the best option for playing video stored in memory (ROM and/or SD cards). It cannot play WMV as much as Kinoma, but it is the best solution for MPEG videos and AVIs. It also has the capabilities of playing full screen, rotate screen, adjust audio delays...

All in all, it doesn't hurt having both in your phone, it's just that perhaps you'll end up using kinoma more than TCPMP...
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Waldo,

Thanks for the summary! I hope you won't mind if I add some notes.

Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    However, not all video is created equal, for some reason there will be WMV files that just won't play in Kinoma.
    True. Generally, WMV files work unless they're old or encoded a size and/or datarate that the CPU in the Treo can't handle.

If you're interested, our manual does a good job of listing what's supported (see "Content Compatibility"). Anything that doesn't work natively can be easily transcoded.

The Media guide in Kinoma is quite decent, but it is a closed-environment so you cannot simply add/remove stuff in a playlist you don't like.
    If there's anything you'd like to see in the Kinoma Media Guide yourself, you can send us interesting links at content@kinoma.com. We typically get them into the guide within a few days.

You can also make your own guide by creating RSS or OPML feeds, and you can find all the details you need in Tech Note 5. Of course, like any feed you can share them with others.

The youtube thing is a bit misleading since you cannot browse Youtube with Blazer and expect to open a video with it.
    That's because www.youtube.com isn't mobile-aware, otherwise Blazer could just pass the video URLs to Kinoma Player. Here are more ways to use YouTube with Kinoma Player:

http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/06/more-ways-to-youtube/
    http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/08/two-w...hout-retyping/

It cannot play WMV as much as Kinoma, but it is the best solution for MPEG videos and AVIs. It also has the capabilities of playing full screen, rotate screen, adjust audio delays...
    Kinoma Player supports full-screen playback, rotation and MPEG-4 (including AAC).

Kinoma Player is focused on mobile formats, but it's really easy to use tools like Kinoma Producer to create great-looking MPEG-4 and WMV content from older file formats.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I use 'em both. Both apps are worthy of space on my 700P because some files are played better by both apps.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.