1.    #1  
    Hello...

I'm looking for calendar software that allows month-at-a-glance to tell what days I can schedule trips. I need to be able to say "yes I can be in Chicago on X date" (while trying to keep in my mind what dates I have already committed to travel, or to be home for a birthday, or a school concert, etc).

Datebook+ week-at-a-view helps a little, but would like to see a month at a time. Datebook+ month-view is useless.

Thanks
    Datebook 3 or 4 would probably suit your needs.
    www.studio1809.com
    P.S. I feel at home with geeks like you.
    The Gadgeteer Review of Datebook Programs

This is starting to get a little old but still is a great review of just about every program that should fit your needs.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Originally posted by PastaGrrrl
    Datebook 3 or 4 would probably suit your needs.
    You won't ever find a bigger supporter of Datebk4 than me, but how does Datebk4's month-at-a-view differ from Datebk+'s month-at-a-view -- other than icons? Datebk+'s functionality is a subset of Datebk3's.

(Note: Icons are a significant feature -- they make the month view really useful. I only use the day-view and month-view views on Datebk4.)

Frankly, I'm not sure how you'd get a better month-at-a-view display than Datebk4, due to the small size of the Palm/Visor display. Maybe something better on the Handera in "sideways" mode, but that's about it.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Another vote for DB4's month view w/ icons. It also has a good week view that I like. I think that AN stick icons in the month view, too...
    It sounds like srwdc1 is looking for a more graphical-rich version of the month-at-a-glance view... to see what days/weeks are already occupied.

Anyways, I agree with other by recommending DateBk3/DateBk4's icon feature in the month view.

Other recommendations that adds or enhances a monthly view to the built-in DateBook and DateBook+ apps:

- DataViz's WhatzUp 2.0

It's not a graphical view but more of a list view-- one of the lists it supports is by month, showing all appointments and optionally, ToDos for the month.

- DatePlan 1.22 by Denis Faivre.

A "bolt-on" graphical view-- advertises itself as being able to show a "true graphical month view".

A few other recommendations... but they show weekly views, not monthly views (and as such-- can cram more relevant information/graphics in the view):

- The weekly views with icons in DateBk3/DateBk4 (why not?)

- PopUp FreeTime by Benc Software.

Needs HackMaster/compatible to pop up but it shows you a weekly view without having you to quit the current app.

- Hot Date 1.3f by Chris Faherty.

Resembles WhatzUp but it can only show you up to a week's worth of stuff at a time. And best of all-- it's F R E E.

I also seem to recall a DA that does something similar but for the life of me, I cannot remember the name of it.
    Last edited by ProjectZero; 05/24/2001 at 09:09 PM.
    Whoops... forgot one more graphical monthly add-on...

Palm Planner by Thomas Jawer.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Hi,

I've been working with DateBK4 for a couple of weeks (I also need to tell immediateley what day is free to travel somewhere..) until I found out how useful the weekly view is for exactly this purpose.

I therefore highly recommend DateBK4, also because once you register the registration fee goes into a wildlife project called 'Gorilla Haven'.
    Last edited by hduell; 05/28/2001 at 12:16 PM.
    No one mentioned Action Names...I am trying that out right now, and it's seems great!
    Originally posted by hduell
    Hi,

I've been working with DateBK4 for a couple of weeks (I also need to tell immediateley what day is free to travel somewhere..)
    As suggested above, I assign icons to categories (e.g. car for "Day Trip" and suitcase for "Overnight Trip" and two people for "Guests"). I have set up a monthly icon view in the Custom Views format--when I click on it, I can instantly see when I am going to be gone for the day, overnight, or when people are coming to stay with us. Not exactly perfect, but gets the job done.
    Last edited by K. Cannon; 05/25/2001 at 01:43 PM.
    Originally posted by ProjectZero

Hot Date 1.3f by Chris Faherty.

Resembles WhatzUp but it can only show you up to a week's worth of stuff at a time. And best of all-- it's F R E E.

Not correct. You can change the preference setting so that the Week tab displays appointments & to do's for the next 7 days, 14 days, 21 days, 31 days, or 7 days + weekends.
    Doh! My bad... thanks for the correction!
    Action Names just came out with an upgrade yesterday, version 4.6, which I downloaded last night. Don't do what I did - I downloaded the icons, too, and it replaced, so I lost all the ones I had created/edited! Oh well, I redid them & some of them are better.

I really like Action Names quite a bit, and recommend it. Haven't tried DateBk 3 or 4.

Barb [COLOR=purple]
    I've tried just about everything major out there (even purchased a few). I think that a lot of the functionality is very close between apps and a lot of the decision making is more look and feel.

I've settled on Action Names and have been using it for about three straight months. I've very pleased.
    Originally posted by Barb
    Action Names just came out with an upgrade yesterday, version 4.6, which I downloaded last night. Don't do what I did - I downloaded the icons, too, and it replaced, so I lost all the ones I had created/edited! Oh well, I redid them & some of them are better.

I really like Action Names quite a bit, and recommend it. Haven't tried DateBk 3 or 4.

Barb [COLOR=purple]
    \

Barb, how quickly we forget. I warned you in this thread that this might occur. What you can do in the future is to copy/backup your icon file just in case.....

Previous Link / thread
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.