Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I have been a HUGE chatter supporter for nearly 3 years now. I love everything it does. I have turned nearly 50 people onto chatter. I just love it.

My company is now wanting to turn IMAP off completely. They are forcing everyone to exchange sync. I am using versamail to EAS my contacts and calendar but not email because I need to be able to move emails to folders, I want to be able to delete emails fast, etc. Versamail can not do this.

Any thoughts? I have out of the email client loop since Marc stopped developing chatter.
    Chatter has an unsupported EX plugin. Would that help you?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    I've been using Chatter with my Exchange server for a long time now, with the EX plugin. Works like a charm, as long as the IT guys don't make changes without letting people know.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM View Post
    Any thoughts? I have out of the email client loop since Marc stopped developing chatter.
    Go here and grab the two EX plugin files. I believe the EX plugin requires that you have the Matrix SSL library for background operation... if you choose "About ChatterEmail" (Pref menu), you'll know if you have the SSL library if you see m18 in the version string. I think Matrix was included in all ChatterEX+ versions.

Here are basic instructions for setting up a connection to your Exchange account (originally written by Marc, for the most part):

To create the OWA Account, use "New Account" in the "Box" menu and choose a Microsoft Exchange account (this should be available if you have installed the EX plugins).

Fill out the information on the "Define" page as follows...

• Exchange Server: Use only the server name part of the URL you use on your PC to access OWA. So, for example, if you use http://owa.myserver.net/exchange, then simply use owa.myserver.net in this field.
    • Login Name: Use your login name as you would in OWA, including your domain (if it’s necessary to specify one). Login names will look either like “fred” or “domain\fred”. Note: Use a backslash between the domain and user name, even if you normally use a forward slash.
    • Password: Your password
    • Complete Server Folder Name: Inbox (this should already be inserted in the field)
    • Mailbox: You can leave this field blank and it will be determined automatically. If you do enter something here (the correct entry is typically your login name), the automatic check will NOT be performed.
    On the "Deliver" page...
    • Check "SSL" if OWA requires SSL.
    • Check "Forms-based" if OWA presents itself with a formatted login page, rather than a simple dialog box with login and password (i.e. the default web browser login dialog)
    • Check "No Domain" if you are not required to use a domain logging in. If this setting doesn't work, try the other.
    Also, if you are seeing long delays when receiving email via the EX plugin, try this:

1. At the Console (Pref menu -> Console), enter "listen xx" where xx is one of the following: 53, 80, 500, 2000
    2. Use "Shutdown & Disconnect" (Sys menu)
    3. Re-enter Chatter and see if push is working.
    See if any of the listen ports work. Apparently this will cause Chatter to listen on a different port, in case your carrier is blocking the default port. FYI the current setting can be determined by simply entering the command "listen" ... the default is 12345.
    Last edited by jberman; 09/25/2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Updated the instructions to the most recent available
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    I use Chatter with the EX plug ins which I receive push email with. I then use EAS to sync contacts and appointments every 30 minutes. If you select as items arrive instead of a timed sync, you have to sync email too. Timed sync does not require you to sync email. Also, it hasn't been mentioned, but you have to have OWA access to Exchange for the EX plug ins to work.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Ok I have done all the setup and it seems to be working. in the Corner it says Listen. Is this correct?

Update...saw the rest of your post and I am working on the listen part now.
    Last edited by BenJoeM; 09/25/2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Update
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Ok I have tried to listen xx on all the ports suggested and I am still not getting push email.
    "Listen" is what shows when you are attached....but as was mentioned the exchange server needs to be set up for OWA.....you might try posting on the Chatter forum.....they're pretty good at helping as well...especially good by email.

http://chatteremailforum.com/index.p...orum&Itemid=71
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Our exchange server is set up for OWA I use it from home all the time

Does my IT Department need to do anything else.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Our exchange server is set up for OWA I use it from home all the time

Does my IT Department need to do anything else.
    Nope and it's probably better they don't know because they'll probably say it's some sort of security issue. PM me an email adress and I'll send you the manual that has the instructions.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Ok, I have checked the manual and I have it installed correctly and my OWA login doesn't require anything special. But I am still struggling to stay connected. In versamail the port was set to 80 and I never had a problem with that.

Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Are you able to quick/manual sync or is it not syncing at all?
    Ok, I have checked the manual and I have it installed correctly and my OWA login doesn't require anything special. But I am still struggling to stay connected. In versamail the port was set to 80 and I never had a problem with that.
    Ben - saw you got a reply from Marc over on the ChatterEmail forum. When he replies, could you please post your results here as well? Thanks....

Also, make sure you exit Chatter (Shutdown and Disconnect) every time you make a change to the listening port. It seems that some people who had this problem have eventually gotten it to work on port 500 or 2000.....
    Last edited by jberman; 09/26/2007 at 11:51 AM.
    I have a quick question. I've purchased Chatter today to replace Versamail and I have the EX Plugin installed. In Chatter it states Listen and I have configured "listen" to listen to a number of ports. My question is if I can get Versamail to "push" with EAS (which I have...I'm not using because of the beautiful features of Chatter), am I still dealing with a "blocking outbound UDP" issue? I would think not but...
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Wow, what a huge difference when you enter "listen xx", in my case 80(i think). I had the same problem with waiting 30-45 mins for email with the EX plugin, now it hits my Treo 650 in seconds. Wish I'd known about this a year ago. Were those port numbers in the directions? I guess I needed to read the directions more closely if they were. Thanks everyone.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    It was a FAQ on the CE website.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman View Post
    Ben - saw you got a reply from Marc over on the ChatterEmail forum. When he replies, could you please post your results here as well? Thanks....

Also, make sure you exit Chatter (Shutdown and Disconnect) every time you make a change to the listening port. It seems that some people who had this problem have eventually gotten it to work on port 500 or 2000.....
    Will do. I once again tried each port, did shutdown and disconnect and then sent myself a test email from my desktop and still nothing (unless I manually Sync).

Marc suggested I call my IT department and ask if they are allowing OUTBOUND UDP packets from the network.

I asked and they said only on some ports and they are going to let me know which ones.