1. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    One of the things I've always appreciated about Treocentral Blog posts is that they usually always present the good and the bad of what ever it is they are talking about.

I was a bit disappointed in Treocentral's coverage of the 700P MR re-release in that they didn't give Palm some credit for fixing this device. Yes, the 700P MR has been riddled with woahs, but Palm finally did get it right. Just about every post I've read on this board about the topic is positive, with users very satisfied with the end result. I'm certainly in this camp. The Palm guys finally do desearve some positive feedback.

As a side note: It appears that Verizon/Palm was hit with a network issue that would have been difficult, if not impossible, to catch when the 1.10 MR was first released (i.e., the error 3000). A bit of Murphy's law striking at a very bad time it seems. Fact is, they did fix the problem within weeks of it becoming well known.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  2. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    As far as I'm concerned, they did not get it right, as they didn't bother to fix the DTMF tone bug. I'm even more insulted by their lack of interest in the quality of this phone than I was before.
    I second PSM's feelings. Two months to fix a simple thing like the network problems and to not even look at the DTMF tones is ridiculous. iPhone has had two(?) firmware releases since its release. PlayStation3 has had numerous releases and they have to verify against hundreds of games. Palm is slow to respond, behind what the rest of the market provides, and has no appreciation for its customer base, consumer or corporate.

-Chris
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Q,

I will disagree to some extent with the idea that Palm finally requires positive feedback. This MR does not come out as a favor they are doing for us, given that this 1.10_ is a fix to problems of their own doing. The patch re-release is the right thing to do but that does not imply (by far) that we should be thankful of them taking their time to fix things and releasing it to the public.

That is not how support should work. It is their job to provide good (if not excellent) customer and technical support for all Palm devices, and as such we should not fall for the idea that we have to thank them for doing what they are supposed to do. If they went above and beyond I'd be encouraging the crowd to send extra kudos, but this new re-release is not an above-and-beyond move, it is a this-is-what-should-have-been-in-the-first-place move.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  5. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Q,

I will disagree to some extent with the idea that Palm finally requires positive feedback. ....

That is not how support should work. It is their job to provide good (if not excellent) customer and technical support for all Palm devices, and as such we should not fall for the idea that we have to thank them for doing what they are supposed to do. If they went above and beyond I'd be encouraging the crowd to send extra kudos, but this new re-release is not an above-and-beyond move, it is a this-is-what-should-have-been-in-the-first-place move.
    I appreciate that. I still believe that Palm deserves some positive feedback from its core user base saying that Yes, the 700P is now fixed and is functioning mostly as it should. (PSM: Yes, I know you really hate the DTFM bug -- so do I actually. However, it isn't the end of the world.) My point is, people need to know that our devices are fixed and the Treo is a good device. People need to know we like our devices. We don't need people running off to RIM, windows mobile, or where-ever. This would be bad for all of us in the long run.

There's plenty of negative comments about Palm on these boards to send a clear message to Palm that we aren't happy about the direction they've taken lately, and then some -- I know, I've helped make some of them. Time for some positive feedback. Maybe not so far as Kudos, as I agree with you that they did drop the ball on that first MR release -- No way it should have taken a year.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    I have to say that, as much as I have been a Palm critic (and as much as we have all suffered, for a *looooong* time, with a poorly functioning device that I've been tempted to smash), the new update really makes this a great device.

I've gone from very annoyed to very pleased. So although they deserve a tremendous bashing for the process, I agree that they deserve some real praise for the end result.