1.    #1  
    After years of being a corporate slave (i.e., Outlook Exchange and Windows PCs), I am now on my own with a MacBook Pro. I'm going through the whole conversion process of getting my old docs and emails loaded onto my Mac, but now I'm faced with the decision of should I stick with my Treo 750w (Cingular, WinMo v5), or jump to an iPhone? I understand I can sync if I buy/download Missing Sync, but this seems a little klugey just to make my 750w work. I'm planning to use MS Entourage on the Mac to keep up with my various POP mail accounts and Hotmail (now Windows Live Mail), so I know the 750w CAN work, but is it worth the likely headache and hassle getting it there? Would the iPhone make this easier and more seamless? Thanks for any insights...
    I'm using a 700p with a Mac, and it's wonderful. It's just what I always wanted in a cellphone/PC marriage. Of course, I'm using the Missing Sync.

Is there any reason you'd rather use Entourage instead of the included Mail? I'm using the built in Apple apps, and syncing, and I haven't had any problems at all, although, this could be because I'm using Palm OS, the Windows version may be different.

I suggest you set your Mac up, DON'T install the palm software (it's a pain to get off), and then demo Missing Sync. You have 15 days, I think, to see if it's for you. Me? After about 5, I decided I'm going to buy it.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm kind of in the same boat you're in, except I'm using Palm OS... and try Mail.
    I can tell you the reason I use Entourage and not Mail is Hotmail. I really like the Maill app but can't send email to Hotmail, only receive, and it needs a plug-in to make it work.

I too use Palm and not WM but there's a plug-in to let Entourage sync with POS without the missing sync. For WM, the missing sync will also sync with Entourage.

Since some of the functionality on some POS apps wasn't available on the Mac version of the desktop apps required, I ended up using Windows for sync and stopped using the Mac. However, all the people I know that use missing sync are very happy with the results, WM or POS and none of them described it as a hassle to do.

The iPhone can't do the same things your 750w can do. It may be easier to do, but IMHO not worth the switch for that reason.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Have used Missing sync since my treo 600 now on a 680 syncs up to my laptop perfect, the only time I have had issues is when I upgraded the new MS software and did not follow the directions. I will wait for a while on the iphone, till I can add it to my family plan on AT&T
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I also bought a new imac. Have kept 700p on a laptop, but want to either switch to iphone or missing synch. Someone posted not to intstall the palm desktop? Just use missing synch? Is that right? Why? Thx
    You don't need to use the Palm Desktop, and it will be a pain to remove. I installed it, used it for a few months, then switched to MS. The old stuff isn't bothering me, but it's just annoying to open up almost any folder and find a Palm folder stuck in there.

The main reason I love MS is because it syncs everything great, and just the way you want it. If I remember correctly, with Palm Desktop, you either synced with PD or with Mac Apps. Using the Mac Apps, things changed, and I think you could only sync one calendar, or something weird like that. With MS, everything's just the way I want it on my Mac, and exactly the same on my Palm. The only difference is I cannot make recurring To-Dos on the Mac, and when made on the Palm, it's kind of weird. I've actually learned I probably shouldn't have been doing To-Dos, but calendar entries, so it didn't bother me at all.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    There is no need to switch to the iPhone for this, especially if you want to use Entourage. I am forced to use Entourage because I use an exchange server at work. Entourage worked great on my Powerbook, but has proved slow and buggy on my Macbook Pro (isn't a universal app so runs on Rosetta).

One nice thing about Entourage is that it syncs nicely with Apple address book, but not that great with iCal.

The Entourage conduit isn't great for palm devices, but functional. Missing Sync is a must though.
    Of course, if you're just looking for us to talk you out of an iPhone, and you really want one, I'd go for it.
    The same question always happens with me ALWAYS...... So this topic is perfect for me.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I weighed some of the issues recently with an iPhone (oh -- gesturing touch screen, full web, oh my!), and as much as it's great, I'm sticking with my Treo 680. Doc syncing, work PC (Chapura PocketMirror) sync (though that's broken now since a crash #*)! Windows) and Mac Missing Sync works fabulous without fear of dupes.

Plus the premium of the iPhone still seems a bit ridonkulous.

(Oh yeah, keep in mind I'm a pretty big Apple fan since the PowerBook 500 days).
    I switched to mac about 4 years ago, and have always wanted Apple to come out with a smartphone, but the iPhone falls way short of my expectations. They say the iPhone is powered by OS X, but it dosen't run anything. Sure, it would be great to have a phone that syncs without needing a third party app, but my Treo does so much more than the iPhone.

When they announced the iPhone, everyone was drooling over the features:
    oooh - touch screen!! (Treo got it)
    oooh - google maps!! (Treo got it)
    oooh - mp3 music!! (Treo got it)
    oooh - internet!! (Treo got it)
    oooh - visual voice mail!! (who cares)
    iPhone can't do Word, Excel, and a ton of stuff my Treo can. So I ask: what good is an iPhone when I have a Treo???

As much as I love Apple, I have to say that the iPhone is a lot of marketing hype. It's not much more than a basic cell phone with sex appeal. My advice is to wait for the second (or third) generation when, hopefully, the iPhone will evolve from a dumbphone and become a real smartphone.
    VisorDeluxe -> VisorPhone -> Treo180g -> Treo270 -> Treo600 -> Treo650 [GSM T-Mo]
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfacelle View Post
    I switched to mac about 4 years ago, and have always wanted Apple to come out with a smartphone, but the iPhone falls way short of my expectations. They say the iPhone is powered by OS X, but it dosen't run anything. Sure, it would be great to have a phone that syncs without needing a third party app, but my Treo does so much more than the iPhone.

iPhone can't do Word, Excel, and a ton of stuff my Treo can. So I ask: what good is an iPhone when I have a Treo???

As much as I love Apple, I have to say that the iPhone is a lot of marketing hype. It's not much more than a basic cell phone with sex appeal. My advice is to wait for the second (or third) generation when, hopefully, the iPhone will evolve from a dumbphone and become a real smartphone.
    Agree. Couldn't have said it better. There is just too much my Treo can do that the iPhone can't. Maybe if it supported Exchange a little better, could handle Microsoft Office files better, had support for Pocket Quicken, was able to access a bluetooth GPS device, could work as a remote for my mac, bluetooth dun, etc, etc, I would thhink about buying one.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    The Treo is way better in terms of functionality, but the design and interface of the iPhone blow the Treo away.
    Mac + MissingSync + Treo 755p = No problems!

I suspect that in a couple of years when more carriers have the iPhone and you can add the full range of 3rd party apps (Real, not assisted, GPS, for instance) I'll switch to an iPhone, but for now the Treo will do just fine.
    I can't say I switched but I am Bi now. I am IT guy with hundreds of PC's I watch over at work now have my first Mac and Love it. Had Mac for 6 months and bought a 2nd and love it even more. So now I currently have 2 macs lappys, 2 pc lappys and two home desktops including my home entertainment media center. Macs ar emy favorite.

That said, the iphone Keynote was amazing until the next day I had a iphone hangover and realized the only thing an iphone had over Treo was two finger touchscreen. iphone is lacking big time but next time I may jump.

Treo still has tons over iphone (depending on your needs)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfacelle View Post

I do not own an iPhone, but I've used one, and I am a mac fan, but from my observations I'd like to debate some of these points:

1) Touch screen - iPhone's touch screen in my opinion is better. Palm's screen requires a stylus for many functions, Apple has designed it's software to work with your finger, and you can use "multi-touch" which is pretty clever. Multi-touch is demoriffic, so in practical use it's cool, but it's not a palm killer.

2) Google maps - can't debate that... then again anyone who's anyone better have google maps

3) I'll admit I've not seen anything higher than a 700, but on my 650 I had to buy a real MP3 player for $25 to make it work. While both can play MP3s, The treo requires you to shell out extra money to make it work well. The iPhone was designed from the start to be an iPod, and frankly in my estimation iPods are one of the best MP3 players on the market.

4) Internet - oh boy, don't get me started on this. The #1 issue I have with internet on my treo is speed and accessibility. Blazer does not blaze. Part of it is simply having a 650 with no wifi, but blazer also takes an innordinate amount of time to process some larger pages even after downloading the data. On my 650 it just hangs for a while. With an iphone, I'm simply waiting for the network to catch up. Also, I've yet to see a mobile browser be as compatible as what I've seen on Safari, and in combination with the zoom in feature, it's brilliant. On blazer, it's a crapshoot.

Someone let me know if there is a FREE browser out there that is more compatible than blazer. MiniOpera is not one of them, it crashes hard on some pages that work fine in blazer, and it's interface is weird and inflexible (it may work for some people but it's not intuitive to me).

5) Visual voice mail... excellent if someone has lots of voice mail and can't check them all the time. Plus, someone had to take the time to update our VM system. The network providers pretty much have us locked into how they handle calls and VMs. This is the first attempt to actually improve that process. It's like the jump from regular service to VOIP.

Also one other point, having to buy missing sync to have a decent sync program is nuts, I should be getting it for free with my Treo. And they haven't updated Palm desk top in years for mac so Treo said F-U on support. iSync works nice with Macs, and there is something to be said for complete compatibility between your phone and computer when syncing.

There are other points though that I will put in the Treo's favor, such as third party application support (only just recently introduced on iPhone, isn't available yet, and yet to be seriously tested), business and VPN support, and most importantly carrier choice.

However, the devil is in the details. One shouldn't be so cocky about Palm vs iPhone on either side yet. Palm should rightly be quivering in their boots that iPhone won't swoop down and eat their lunch, especially with that juggernaut known as the iPhone marketing department.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Has anyone had problems with Missing Sync and time zones? All my events are showing with local Havana time instead of U.S. Eastern or Washington DC.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    I use the Treo 750 with (actually without) my MacBook Pro. Why do you need to connect your Treo to your Mac at all? I set up ActiveSync with an Exchange account and all my Email, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks sync over the air. There is nearly no reason to connect my Treo to my Mac, atleast I haven't found a reason to yet...