Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    1 to 2% drain every 10 minutes is not normal.
    I have a brand new 755P and am getting similar results. I ran a battery logger the last couple days and I'm averaging 18% drain per hour. Given the difference between the capacity of the 755P battery and my 700P, this is about what I'd expect (not that I'm happy about this). I could get 8-10 hr out of my 700P depending on how many calls I made/took.

I'm certain that I'm seeing this heavy drain because I'm running chattermail.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Are the 680 and 755p the same? the batteries look the same....
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I have a brand new 755P and am getting similar results. I ran a battery logger the last couple days and I'm averaging 18% drain per hour. Given the difference between the capacity of the 755P battery and my 700P, this is about what I'd expect (not that I'm happy about this). I could get 8-10 hr out of my 700P depending on how many calls I made/took.

I'm certain that I'm seeing this heavy drain because I'm running chattermail.
    I guess I was thinking of drain during non-use. If 4.2 hours or 252 minutes is the rated talk time . . . . then losing 1% every 2.5 minutes during continuous use would be normal. . . . . .

Continuous talking or email checks/pulls every 5 minutes would do this. . . . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 10/03/2007 at 04:35 AM.
    My battery life was fine until I installed zlauncher. I had read it used a lot of resources, but I was also used to going 1-2 days with out recharging, so I thought I'd be ok.

I use quite a bit of internet each day, and apps like memo, 2day, handy shopper, bejewelled, a small amount of text, and I recently just started using versamail. I did another hard reset and reinstalled everything and a bunch of trial apps like treo memo and splash wallet, for the first time. I didn't reinstall 2day or handyshopper since I'm trying out splash shopper and zlauncher. My battery seems a little more stable, but it is still draining faster than normal. Besides back lighting and disabling bluetooth when not in use, are there any other tweaks to help conserve battery life?
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Turn 'Beam Receive' off under System,Preferences and then Power. A couple of other power settings are also on that screen.
    Thanks for the tip Perry. I just changed my setting. I use BT once a day to HotSynch but otherwise keep that off also.

I'm new to the Treo and initially was surprised by the battery usage. I've now accepted it and can usually get near a charger.

Rick
    Last edited by C5Longhorn; 10/04/2007 at 01:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Mmmmm....something is not right. Are you in a weak signal area? Is your treo constantly switching between evdo and 1xrtt?
    I have a new data point for "weak signal."

My carrier is AT&T. I changed to them when I discovered that their signal in my apartment was dramatically better than T-Mobile. Local coverage trumps everything.

I have recently purchased an iPhone. It is also on AT&T. However, it does not see the same signal strength as my Treo 650. Even when the 650 is seeing four bars, the iPhone may report "No signal."

On a number of recent occasions I have gone to bed with the iPhone fully charged only to wake in the morning to find it very low. I had almost concluded that the battery was failing but I could carry it around all day, listening to music or podcasts without exhausting the battery.

For the last two nights, I have turned the radio off ("Airplane mode"). Guess what? No unusual discharge. I conclude that it has been spending the night trying to find a signal and running down the battery in the process.

Weak or no signal seems to cause unusual power drain. Try turning your radio off.
  8. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Today, I unplugged my 755P from the charger at 8am this morning and set Chattermail to check email every 30min instead of syncing (i.e., push). At It's 3:00pm now and my battery is still at 80%.

Chatter set to sync a mail box hits the battery REALLY hard. I'm not sure Push email is worth losing this much battery life.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    I am having same issue.. I just switched to 755p from a 8700g blackberry and besides missing the ease of use of blackberry email (even compared to chattermail) I miss the battery life.. I could go 2 to 3 days with BB and by the end of day on treo I am almost drained. This is even with extended battery. I do use it for talking often, text messaging and chatter mail checking two email accounts (set to every 5 minutes)..,,
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdinardo View Post
    I am having same issue.. I just switched to 755p from a 8700g blackberry and besides missing the ease of use of blackberry email (even compared to chattermail) I miss the battery life.. I could go 2 to 3 days with BB and by the end of day on treo I am almost drained. This is even with extended battery. I do use it for talking often, text messaging and chatter mail checking two email accounts (set to every 5 minutes)..,,
    That would do it. I equate "screen on" as the same power drain as "talking" or pulling data . . . . if you have the "screen off" setting at 3 minutes, checking email every 5 minutes leaves your screen on for 36 minutes an hour. That's 360 minutes of your 252 minutes (on a 1600 mAh) and 360 of your 330 (on a 2100 mAh) in a 10 hour day. My math and logic are fuzzy here, but you catch my drift.

If you cut the "screen on" setting down to 1 minute . . . you could lesson whatever the impact of having the screen on is by 2/3rds.
  11. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdinardo View Post
    5min is too frequent to be poling the server. You'd probably be better off setting Chatter to stay online all the time.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    My battery drain is pretty bad and sometimes FAR, FAR worse than other times. I'm going to have to invest in extra batteries. For now I just carry the charger at ALL times.

Many malls have outlets in the hallways if you look for them and are really desperate :-) Find a table against a wall in a food court. A friend once used a socket she found at the entrance of a park.

My Treo has tons of quirks, but it works better than any PC I ever had :-0 I've decided to work with it rather than get mad about things it can't do. Kinda like a marriage :-0

I have bad short term memory loss due to trauma and need my treo to just get through my day. Without my treo I cannot function independently. With it I successfuly complete 98% of what I need to. I'm working to close that 2% gap with more software, learning to use my phone better and taking the time to plug more info into the phone.

So my point is...yeah the power issues suck big time! But with a little creativity, they can be worked around, if it's worth it to you.

Wasn't there a thread awhile back about a thingy you could plug your phone into. Kinda like a giant battery. Someone used it to watch video on a plane? I've been looking to maybe buy one but cannot find one for sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    ...........I have bad short term memory loss due to trauma.........
    I am old and I drink. I never even thought to claim "trauma."
    You are funny!!! :-) Seriously though, there are a few people taking notes about me, to use the info for personal gain. Some of them are so intensive, about how they question me so they can "get it right". I wish I was faking it.

The only time I've ever faked anything was dealing with health insurance paperwork. I just stand there with a blank look on my face and the staff do my paperwork for me. I know I'm bad to do that, but health insurance paperwork is INSANE.
  15. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Just wanted to report back with my battery results. I reconfigured Chatter to check my IMAP email once every 20min. My battery life went from about 5 hrs to nearly 10 hrs. (note: I previously had chatter configured to sync my imap folder realtime).

Moral of the story: Chatter is a very power hungry push email solution.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  16. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    You are funny!!! :-) Seriously though, there are a few people taking notes about me, to use the info for personal gain. Some of them are so intensive, about how they question me so they can "get it right". I wish I was faking it.
    But not here. Here, you are safe.

We are good people. Sometimes we might be a bit off the wall, but that is what makes us interesting.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    You guys are great! :-)

Access to this group, and at first a fairly quiet yahoo e-mail group, have drastically improved the quality of my life. Message boards and e-mail lists are incredible resources, when you need to learn something. And learning to use my Treo has been one of the most important things I ever needed to learn.
    here is my results......2-2.5 hours phone talk/day plus about 1 hour web browsing plus 35-50 emails plus 20-25 sms msgs day. EDIT i am always logged into AIM, MsnMessenger and Y!Messenger (using the built in IM), bluetooth OFF, Beam OFF

battery life is at 10% after 36 hours off charger. tested this three times over the last week by charging until green and running until 10% on battery meter.

got my sprint treo 755p last week of july 2007....original battery, original phone.

extremely happy with it, the best palm yet

palm pilot, palm pilot pro, handspring neo with sprint pcs wireless web digital link (aircell sb3000), EDIT now Treo 755p
    Last edited by bmwk75s; 10/11/2007 at 06:51 PM.
    Scott K
    PalmPilot -> PalmPilotPro ->
    HandspringNeo w/ Sprint PCS Wireless Digital Link ->
    Treo 755p Blue -> Treo 800w

bmwr606@yahoo.com
    Thanks, Perry! I think the beam off is helping. I think also part of my problem is perceived usage. zlauncher shows the battery percentage all the time, the battery indicator native to the 755 only shows the percentage when you click on the icon, and the icon always appears (to me anyway) to indicate more juice available than the actual percentage. So, while there is more pull on my battery, I don't think it is as large as I first thought. It just seems that way because now I'm seeing the numbers drop.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12