1.    #1  
    I got upgraded to a 680 after my first 650 was of unusable quality and the replacement cingular sent me was even worse, and that 680 worked fine for a while and then turned off one day in the middle of a call and didn't want to come one again without a long fight. They sent me a new 680, same problem (I sent it back to be nice), so then based on helpful suggestions here I asked them to send me a battery and that fixed the problem. Then I went to Vegas and my phone would let me surf the web but not phone or text, so they sent me another 680 (this time they let me pick a color so I got copper). Well, now I'm on travel in Mass and my phone was locking up every 30 seconds for about 15 seconds at a time, so I foolishly decided to reboot it. It goes through the boot up progress bar and then goes black. Completely unusable brick.

Based on another thread I'm assuming it's the battery, again. I believe this will be the second, or maybe third battery in 4 months or so, I've lost track. I've been through 5 Treos and multiple batteries and I'm still not out of my one-year warranty. What happens when I am? Can I ask for 3 more 680s and 6 batteries to last me until my contract expires?

As a more serious question: is it me or has Palm quality gone down the toilet? Maybe after my next Treo dies I'll get the iPhone. Can I put my SIM in it and go?
    What are you doing to these Treos? I've had my 680 since the beginning of the year, right about the time they came out, and it's been solid. The only reset I've had in the past week was when I ran Mobipocket, and something about it the Treo didn't like. Other than that it only resets when I try playing with Opera Mini 4 beta, and I expect problems in a beta.

If you keep having battery problems, maybe you should try getting the Seidio 1600 OEM size battery. Mine has helped my battery life a lot. It also seems to have cut down on the GSM interference to speakers as well as SAG dropouts when listening to music. Something about the battery must also help shield the radios better.
    Yeah, what are you doing with those Treo? Due to the "soap-form" of the 680, mine slipped away from my hand 2-3 times... and it falled down.... but nevere had a problem... It looks solid to me!
    Really 'the luck of the draw' here - and disregarding anything extraordinary you might be doing to your Treo (leaving in your clothes as they go thru a wash - that sort of thing) the fact remains that Palm's build quality has slid precipitously over the last few years and that any replacement you've got since your first unit will be someone else's less-broken rebuild.

The remarkable thing is that you've stuck with Palm after all this. Me? I would have been onto the wireless provider (assuming you got the Treo thru them), cc'd to your local/regional/federal consumer protection folk for some sort of equitable resolution.

Frankly, given Palm's rep of late, I think the Treos that do work as advertised and intended are the exception, not the rule....

Quote Originally Posted by skintigh View Post
    I got upgraded to a 680 after my first 650 was of unusable quality and the replacement cingular sent me was even worse, and that 680 worked fine for a while and then turned off one day in the middle of a call and didn't want to come one again without a long fight. They sent me a new 680, same problem (I sent it back to be nice), so then based on helpful suggestions here I asked them to send me a battery and that fixed the problem. Then I went to Vegas and my phone would let me surf the web but not phone or text, so they sent me another 680 (this time they let me pick a color so I got copper). Well, now I'm on travel in Mass and my phone was locking up every 30 seconds for about 15 seconds at a time, so I foolishly decided to reboot it. It goes through the boot up progress bar and then goes black. Completely unusable brick.

Based on another thread I'm assuming it's the battery, again. I believe this will be the second, or maybe third battery in 4 months or so, I've lost track. I've been through 5 Treos and multiple batteries and I'm still not out of my one-year warranty. What happens when I am? Can I ask for 3 more 680s and 6 batteries to last me until my contract expires?

As a more serious question: is it me or has Palm quality gone down the toilet? Maybe after my next Treo dies I'll get the iPhone. Can I put my SIM in it and go?
    Have you tried doing the following to test whether it is a hardware or software problem:

1. Rename you palm backup directory to something like "oldbackup"
    2. Hard reset
    3. Reintall ONLY your data files
    4. Run with all generic software for a couple of weeks.

If you don't have any problems, then it means you have a piece of incompatible software on you Treo. If you have the problems, then I guess you just produce your own, strange, magnetic field!
    What is it with this rash of bad reports? It seems there has recently been an influx of treo horror stories. I am skeptical.

As a side note, I wanted to mention to TC readers that I see a large number of treos at Disneyland (Anaheim, CA). I am an annual passholder and so I am there about every other week to enjoy a few attractions and have dinner. I have to say that I see a large number of people (mostly men/fathers) standing in line for attractions and peering at their treos.

It seems to me, (this is an adhoc assertion, so take it as such) that many of the treos have the antenna. I see crackberries too, but I would assert there is a higher concentration of treo users among people visiting Disneyland than what I see at the airport or the mall.
  7.    #7  
    No, I did not drop it. Not once. I am so paranoid about that. I had a green handspring for about 4 years, and a Clie for 4 years after that before I bought a 650. The handspring did eventually get smashed, but that wasn't my fault. The Clie is in the drawer next to me, still works.

No, I did not put the Treo through the wash, nor get it wet, ever. It is humid here, I suppose.

I am not some plant or mole or evil pro-windows anti-AT&T person (though I am anti-Sprint) or something. Go look up my other posts, I like to think I've been helpful.

Anyway, AT&T was nice enough to send me a new phone, new battery and new SIM! Apparently they didn't have any batteries left in stock so they sent me a whole, NEW phone. They must be seriously short of batteries to do that, so I guess I'm not the only one with issues. I swapped the phone they sent me for a red one at a corp. store, brought it home, charged it for an hour or two, and IT WONT TURN ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know whether to laugh or dry.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    Really 'the luck of the draw' here - and disregarding anything extraordinary you might be doing to your Treo (leaving in your clothes as they go thru a wash - that sort of thing) the fact remains that Palm's build quality has slid precipitously over the last few years and that any replacement you've got since your first unit will be someone else's less-broken rebuild.

The remarkable thing is that you've stuck with Palm after all this. Me? I would have been onto the wireless provider (assuming you got the Treo thru them), cc'd to your local/regional/federal consumer protection folk for some sort of equitable resolution.

Frankly, given Palm's rep of late, I think the Treos that do work as advertised and intended are the exception, not the rule....

I love palm, have had them (handspring, anyway) since 1998. AT&T has been so good to me, I love them. I just wish I could turn on my phone
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsaroff View Post
    Have you tried doing the following to test whether it is a hardware or software problem:

1. Rename you palm backup directory to something like "oldbackup"
    2. Hard reset
    3. Reintall ONLY your data files
    4. Run with all generic software for a couple of weeks.

If you don't have any problems, then it means you have a piece of incompatible software on you Treo. If you have the problems, then I guess you just produce your own, strange, magnetic field!
    I will try that, but that doesn't explain the new phone.

So, either I emit theta band radiation, or maybe heat is an issue? I had to leave my old and new phone in the car today: not allowed to bring them into work. I have tinted windows and use a solar shade, but it still gets kinda hot. They are out of the sun and out of sight. Surely they can't be that fragile, can they?
    ... I have tinted windows and use a solar shade, but it still gets kinda hot. They are out of the sun and out of sight. Surely they can't be that fragile, can they?
    From the 680's User Manual > Specifications -

Operating and storage temperature range

32F to 104F (0C to 40C)
    5% to 90% relative humidity (RH)

Do you think your car might be generating beyond this range? Fairly easy to do, really.

Fragile? Heck, yes.
    I will try that, but that doesn't explain the new phone.

So, either I emit theta band radiation, or maybe heat is an issue? I had to leave my old and new phone in the car today: not allowed to bring them into work. I have tinted windows and use a solar shade, but it still gets kinda hot. They are out of the sun and out of sight. Surely they can't be that fragile, can they?
    OMFG. You keep killing phones because you're leaving them in your HOT CAR.

Good grief.

On a sunny day, a car WITH the windows cracked can get up to 130 degrees in 30 minutes. With the windows closed it can get up to 150 or more.
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    Wow. Your tinted windows may keep the UV out, but it won't stop the IR (infrared) rays from working their magic by generating enough heat to harm your phones.

You'll probably want to find an alternative place to store your phones while you're at work.
  13.    #13  
    32 to 104??? 104 is like a mild summer day here South Texas! Can I not bring my phone outside during the day, either? I guess there are no Treo users in Phoenix. And what about when I go home to New England? Are New Hampshirites not allowed to use their phone from Mid September through April? WTF?!

The tint makes my car drastically cooler, and I'm fairly certain it blocks almost all UV and IR and a large percentage (40%?) of visible light, and the rear tint blocks the majority of visible light. Before tint I couldn't touch the steering wheel for a long time after turning on the car and I often rolled down my windows with my remote and waited a while before getting in. After tint it's just a little hot inside, I don't even need to air out my car.

I'm not sure what else to do other than put my phone in a plastic bag in an ice chest, or maybe install a Peltier device in my center console. I seriously am out of options. Maybe I can tape it to the bottom of my car from September through May (except a bit during Jan/Feb when it gets too cold), and then just not use a phone at all during the summer. That seems the only way to remain within those ridiculous temperature ranges.

Hell, I've had a fever that would violate this phone's specifications. WTF...

PS: I can't bring it into work because if I pay the phone bill it's a security risk, but if my employer pays the bill it's not a security risk. Got it? Also, floppies are banned, but CDRs are peachy.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Do you work at the kind of place that searches briefcases, etc. when you enter? If not, maybe put it in a briefcase and lock it in your desk for the day. Who would notice? If it is, maybe you can make friends with a guard and they will hold it for you during the day?
  15.    #15  
    Around review times they do search. I work with one lady who isn't approved to carry CDs in and out, but she is allowed to bring in and out a laptop (but not an iPod or USB drive: those are security risks). Well, they found a CD in the laptop's CDROM drive and told her she "might" be fired. Several hours later, after she told all her co-workers, they told her she wasn't really fired.

The guards wont even hold things you accidentally bring in... But maybe I can use this temperature issue to get them to reevaluate the phone ban. For a while the ban changed weekly.
  16.    #16  
    Ooooh I forgot my favorite story! After some orange alert or something a few years ago they decided there was a risk of someone parking a truck bomb next to our building. So, to prevent that truck bomb, they had everyone move their car and banned parking in the first few rows in our extremely crowded parking lot. Then, realizing they had cleared a free path to the building for truck bombs, the put up a barrier no terrorist would dare defy: street cones.

I suggested we put street cones on top of our servers to keep the hackers out, but apparently their magical powers on work in physical security.
    ....and the irrelevance increases...