Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    WARNING, DO NOT USE THE DESKTOP UPDATE METHOD TO INSTALL VERIZON MR!!!

Palm indicates that it is OK to install the re-released MR via the desktop(i.e., USB) install application. However; even after only a short period of time since Palm posted the update, people are having problems with this update method. The installing PC seems to lose connection with the Treo, causing the installer to hang.

Play it safe and install using the SD Card method!!!
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/22/2007 at 11:56 AM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    WARNING, DO NOT USE THE DESKTOP UPDATE METHOD!!!

Palm indicates that it is OK to install the re-released MR via the desktop(i.e., USB) install application. However; even after only a short period of time since Palm posted the update, people are having problems with this update method. The installing PC seems to lose connection with the Treo, causing the installer to hang.

Play it safe and install using the SD Card method!!!

I think I'll play it even safer and wait awhile. Thanks for the advice.
    Ditto. I'm still on 1.06 so I'm steering clear until I know it's ok to jump in.
    And what did you think , that they'd get it right?

It's not a name, it's a state of mind!"
    I updated last night. So far so good! No probs and no resets!
    I updated yesterday using the desktop method and it worked fine. I got a couple of odd error messaages (runtime errors), but the process did not hang. It took about 12 or 13 minutes.

By the way, I have had no data problems since installing the update.

KJF
    Can someone remind me what exactly the steps are for the SD Card Method? Anything special?
    I tried the desktop update today to upgrade from 1.06. I got to about the 3/4 point and then got hung in a reset loop. Must of reset 20 times before I gave up and disconnected. I really thought I had bricked the phone. I did a hard reset and then tried the SD method. To my relief, it picked up where the desktop had stalled and completed w/o further problems.

My advice would be to not touch the desktop method.
    I bet that part of this problem is due to the sh1tty cable connection that Palm provides.
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    I just updated today via SD. I used BackupMan to back up all my data and everything, and it restored my entire phone as far as I can tell. It's the exact same phone. Two big differences though:

1) The texting to other Verizon users causing a freeze... problem GONE!! I just tested it twice and the phone didn't freeze at all. Actually, the little green check marks are gone altogether, which doesn't bother me one bit. Finally a fix to this problem!!

2) However, now I have the little triangle roaming indicator thing in the top display bar, and "Verizon Wireless" isn't there. I called Verizon and they confirmed that it was the roaming indicator. I have NEVER see this indicator before, but there it is. I've got a plan where I don't pay for roaming, so I don't care too much, but it is strange.

- O
    Quote Originally Posted by roleary View Post
    2) However, now I have the little triangle roaming indicator thing in the top display bar, and "Verizon Wireless" isn't there. I called Verizon and they confirmed that it was the roaming indicator. I have NEVER see this indicator before, but there it is. I've got a plan where I don't pay for roaming, so I don't care too much, but it is strange.
    Do *228. After update my phone was acting funny and "verizon wireless" banner would not show up. Doing *228 restored everything. I am guessing the update blows out the PRL. Same thing happened on 650 too.

-HH
    Yep, that did it. Just a note, when you do *228, you want option 2 ("Update your roaming capabilities"). Option 1 was "Re-program your phone" or something.

Also, I find it weird that Verizon didn't recommend that when I called them... maybe they'll figure it out eventually. The guy I talked to didn't know that the new MR was out.

- O
    Quote Originally Posted by roleary View Post
    Yep, that did it. Just a note, when you do *228, you want option 2 ("Update your roaming capabilities"). Option 1 was "Re-program your phone" or something.

Also, I find it weird that Verizon didn't recommend that when I called them... maybe they'll figure it out eventually. The guy I talked to didn't know that the new MR was out.
    I did both, figured it could not hurt, option 1 I think sets up some default settings like network provisioning etc. (They made me do that a while back to activate my data plan on 650)

In my experience with Verizon, the first thing they always say is to do *228, even when the problem has nothing to do with service.

-HH
    I did the update via the desktop method and everything worked fine over here.

For what its worth I backed up everything and did a hard reset before doing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    I did the update via the desktop method and everything worked fine over here.

For what its worth I backed up everything and did a hard reset before doing anything.
    Same for me -- I installed the update via the desktop with no error messages and no loss of connection. I didn't hard reset beforehand, either. I guess it's going to be different for everyone.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I did it through the desktop updater too and had no problems. I have a good connection b/c I use a cradle.
    Did the Desktop Update through my Seidio InnoDock. Worked fine.
    I did the update last night coming from 1.06 on a Verizon 700p using a Mac. I used the SD method and everything looked like it was going fine until the very end when the phone went to boot up. I got stuck in an endless reboot cycle where it ended up back at the stylus target tap every time. Hard resets didn't help.

I took the phone to Verizon and a replacement 700p is on the way. Just for curiosity, I called Palm support. They tried a hard reset and a warm reset. The warm reset brought up the phone screen, but the hard reset put me back in the reboot cycle. Palm support said I needed a new phone.

Just a heads up, maybe it's because I'm on MAC and not PC that I had the issue?
    Thanks for that info. I have a Mac and was going to do the update... now maybe I will wait. Any other Mac users out there who tried the update??
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast