Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Derivative, how did you "back up" you Treo's? A regular hotsync on the computer? If so, you must have some messed up setting in your conduits? Are you syncing to Outlook or Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Derivative, how did you "back up" you Treo's? A regular hotsync on the computer? If so, you must have some messed up setting in your conduits? Are you syncing to Outlook or Palm?
    Here is what I posted on another forum. I have had relative good success with the update. Moreover, I have relied on alternative backup programs, one in particular, for success over a HotSync. Just my experience. Here's my post misspellings and all:

SO FAR SO GOOD
    scodav @ 9/29/2007 1:03:32 PM #

SO FAR SO GOOD.....I followed the following steps several days ago when I first got the update. Thus far, the device has performed as intially expected it should when I first purchased the 700p. I may post a retraction latter on if challenges beyond reason arise.

1. Backup the device using a backup utility like Resco BackUp or Resco Explorer's Backup built in utility. Both are available for download, they are both 15 day trials but are fully functional and will do what is needed to backup and restore. I purchased Explorer and evaluating BackUp. I am pleased with both products.

2. Do a hard reset first before even inserting the SD card with the update. This will mimic the same practice as updating one of these device straight out of the Verizon box. In other words, you'll be updating a fresh device.

3. Insert the SD card and away you go. The device will reset a few times, but no worries.

4. When its done, insert your SD card that has your backup on it using your favorite utility, restore and done. This is where the backup utility is perfered over a HotSync. The backup utility mentioned above restored everything to a "T" and I mean everything. The definite recommendation from my perspective.

I must say that this update thus far has been a better experience than the last update. The last update was perform properly yet the device performed poorly from the moment it was updated.
    gapost: syncing to Palm on a Mac.

That back-up software is criminally negligent. I'm really upset at it.

And (not to vent at you - I understand you're trying to be helpful) *I* haven't messed up anything. All I've done is use it to back-up our Treos by pushing the Hotsync button.

It's not like I'm totally unsophisticated about using computers, by the way - I've been working on them all day long for 2-1/2 decades and I review music software professionally. I don't mention that out of arrogance, just to say that if I've been buggered by this horrible POS back-up software, one can only imagine what most people go through.

My computer back-ups have the same issues, of course - this smelly garbage back-up program simply doesn't back up what's on the SD card and it's unreliable with contacts.

I can't wait until something better comes out and I can drop these f-ing Treos off a tall building.

Have you noticed that I'm a little angry?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Highly recommend Resco Backup! I've used it dozens of times without fail.

Don't think it does the contents of the SD card, though. I might be wrong on that. If photos are on the SD some other app may be needed. I know, the Hotsync sucks. Please try calling Palm's tech support to get your contacts restored. You will probably get somebody in Mumbai, but they can probably help. Been there, done that.

Good luck!
    This isn't true. The desktop update does fine. I think a lot of people are not wiping their Treo beforehand. I know it says you don't have to, but since you are going to lose all your data either way, why not start with a fresh phone? Also make sure you have a good connection. If you have a cable that tends to connect and disconnect, yes, duh, do not do firmware through it.
    Well, I don't know about syncing with a Mac, but on a Win computer, there are conduit settings that can affect how data is backed up or restored. Sometimes these settings get changed and may not work properly when restoring. A backup program like Resco is a good thing. Personally, I did a hot sync and also a backup to my SD card before I updated. I can't remember which one I used to restore, but it worked fine.

It is strange that you would only get some of your contacts back, but again, I don't know about Macs.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
    ...had to reinstall the PalmTether software.
    Thanks Palm tree.

gapost, there aren't any settings in the Palm software - it just starts synchronizing the Mac as soon as it starts (although you can have it use the Mac OS syncing program for calendar and contacts...but that shouldn't matter - if you tell it to sync a Treo, its job is to back up and restore the data to/from a Treo).

I'll look into Resco Backup (I can put it on one of my Windows machines). There's also The Missing Sync, which people recommend.

But I still want to get rid of this POS. I simply don't like it anymore.
  9. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanov View Post
    This isn't true. The desktop update does fine. I think a lot of people are not wiping their Treo beforehand. I know it says you don't have to, but since you are going to lose all your data either way, why not start with a fresh phone? Also make sure you have a good connection. If you have a cable that tends to connect and disconnect, yes, duh, do not do firmware through it.
    It most certainly is true. There are numerous reports, that began the day the MR was reposted, of the desktop install failing. Like the first MR release, the desktop install works for some and not others. Why take the chance of it not working?

IMO, the desktop app is failing because the installer is losing the USB connection to the handset, not because of data on the handheld.

Again, why take the chance of the desktop install failing on you when the SD installer works everytime?
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by derivativemusic View Post
    Thanks Palm tree.

gapost, there aren't any settings in the Palm software - it just starts synchronizing the Mac as soon as it starts (although you can have it use the Mac OS syncing program for calendar and contacts...but that shouldn't matter - if you tell it to sync a Treo, its job is to back up and restore the data to/from a Treo).

I'll look into Resco Backup (I can put it on one of my Windows machines). There's also The Missing Sync, which people recommend.

But I still want to get rid of this POS. I simply don't like it anymore.
    Resco backs up the Treo to the SD in a compressed file normally, so you don't even have to interact with Windows or Mac OS.

You could get a inexpensive 256mb SD card to store you backups on and leave the other SD card for the everyday usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    It most certainly is true. There are numerous reports, that began the day the MR was reposted, of the desktop install failing. Like the first MR release, the desktop install works for some and not others. Why take the chance of it not working?

IMO, the desktop app is failing because the installer is losing the USB connection to the handset, not because of data on the handheld.

Again, why take the chance of the desktop install failing on you when the SD installer works everytime?
    There is an old saying "Those who don't remember or know history are forced to live it again..." and I think this is very true. When the first MR was put out, many posts flew around about not using the cable. I agreed then and do now, there best way is using the SD card. It seems to be the way the Verizon stores updates the new devices, it seems that's where most of the success is.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I did the update (using the SD card method loading the software from a Mac and using BackupBuddy.Net Pro for my backup), and the process went very smoothly.

The annoying message about Data Service not being available has gone away, although now it sometimes seems to just get stuck, where the signal indicator shows a live data connection, but no data is going through, and if I force a disconnect it still shows a connection, and then gets stuck trying to connect again. If I force a reset of the phone portion only, it starts working again.
    Ah, I see scoday. That makes sense, except that it still doesn't back up the SD card. And I need to synchronize my calendars on the Treo and Mac.

I think Missing Sync is going to be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    Had to reinstall voice dial. Just now also discovered Kinoma is borked. Icon is there but libraries are missing.
    Unfortunately, HotSync doesn't restore everything that Kinoma Player needs.

You can go to our "I lost my key" page and we’ll send you a new download link. The installer will make sure that everything's installed where it's supposed to be.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    I am trying to install the update, my phone shows I have it but it keeps going in and out of service. I put it right next to my old 650 and that has service but the 700p does not. I downloaded the SD version and copied it to a blank SD card. When I put it in the phone, it shows blank. I have reformatted and recopied to the SD several times with no luck. Am I copying to the SD card wrong. My next step is to visit the Verizon store. I have already had several conversations via phone to figure out why I cannot maintain service on this phone. I have already given my 650 to my daughter so I need to get mine up and running. Help, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by aimeriana View Post
    I am trying to install the update, my phone shows I have it but it keeps going in and out of service.
    Have you done the #228 to update the PRL?

-HH
    Yes, I did that, I finally got Verizon to send me a new phone. Hopefully, problem solved.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I realize this is long, but lots of stuff has happened. Please make comments/suggestions if you have any.

First, to comment on something Roleary said about a month ago:

> The texting to other Verizon users causing a freeze... problem GONE!! I just > tested it twice and the phone didn't freeze at all. Actually, the little green
    > check marks are gone altogether, which doesn't bother me one bit. Finally a
    > fix to this problem!!

True in both cases - but please read my comments below about false non-receipts.

The main problem with going from 1.06 to the 2nd 1.10? My phone is just one big pause. For example. typing a text now takes about 3 different sessions, as I get a few words in, it sits stationary for about 10 seconds, a few more words, another 10 second delay. then I get to finish. Not cool. I have what is supposed to be a very modern piece of equipment, and it might as well have a crank on it. And after you hang up a phone call? Forget doing anything for about 45 seconds. Put the phone in your pocket and make a sandwich or something. This is now the worst phone I've ever owned, and I've had a cell phone since 1994.

(here is some additional information, some of which could be pertinent):

The update went very straight, I obeyed it to the letter using Vista and loading the update on an SD card (and backed up the existing data on SD card, desktop, and laptop prior to updating).

Once the update was complete, tried to restore with card (BackupBuddy): several "file corrupt" messages (and they were critical, like datebook, etc), so I bagged that idea (and come to think of it, this happened with my 650 a lot also, causing me to manually restore much data by cutting and pasting in the Palm Desktop).

I then performed a restoration through the desktop, and it reinstalled the applications and files in nearly alphabetical order; it then seemed to start reinstalling from the beginning again, and it would occasionally go and install an application out of order (and one that I had already seen it installed, like Phone & PocketTunes), and about 2/3 of the way through the 2nd time, the phone restarted. Various problems existed, such as no contacts, duplicate calendar entries, different font type from the one I had selected, etc.

Performed a hard reset, this time it still did a 2nd go-through exactly the same as the first, and went to things more than once and out of order, but it completed. There were errors, saying that the following files already existed (I figured they were parts of the new OS):

ConnectionMgr50DB.PDB
    MIAttachLib.PRC
    MIDataLib.PRC

At the bottom of the log it read: "Restore synchronization failed" (I guess because of the files that already existed). Quick examination of the 700p afterward sees that it generally lookslike what it did before, but performs even worse than before.

Questions:

The messages that the files already existed: are those to be expected?

I'm not getting the green confirmation checkmarks that I got before (as mentioned above, even though I have that checked in the Preferences. The real weirdness is that the only time I get any receipt notification is when I send a message to multiple recipients. It is a failure (red "X", but in fact the messages are going through, I've confirmed this). And I'm getting the "X" even when the recipient is NOT a Verizon customer.

Thanks for your help -

BS
    Quote Originally Posted by lyron View Post
    The main problem with going from 1.06 to the 2nd 1.10? My phone is just one big pause. For example. typing a text now takes about 3 different sessions, as I get a few words in, it sits stationary for about 10 seconds, a few more words, another 10 second delay. then I get to finish. Not cool. I have what is supposed to be a very modern piece of equipment, and it might as well have a crank on it. And after you hang up a phone call? Forget doing anything for about 45 seconds. Put the phone in your pocket and make a sandwich or something. This is now the worst phone I've ever owned, and I've had a cell phone since 1994.
    Yep, that about summarizes it. The phone stability went up a bit with new release, but now the phone freezes up a LOT. The worst of it is when it freezes up in emergency situations (It once froze up as I was dialing 911 - not cool) and also sometimes it freezes up when I try to hang up (but before actually hang up.

My unqualified hunch is that the freeze ups have something to do with logging on and off EV-DO network while using the CDMA as most freezing up have to do with using text messages or using phone. I also notice if I am going through a tunnel with no reception (I commute on a train sometimes), upon leaving the tunnel there is a guaranteed 30-45 second freeze as the phone re-establishes connectivity with the network - this happens regardless of the application I am actually using.

C'mon Palm, this is just embarrassing. Hire a few programmers who know what they are doing and maybe a (gasp) QA department.

-HH
    Well, this latest Sept '07 v1.10 creams the Virtual Modem. I "used" to use it to get weather updates on a trip, no data plan, and it was only a minute of phone time.
    Any archives anywhere of the older versions for verizon?

Or is there a workaround to get the Virtual Modem going again ? I don't want to pay for an infrequently used data plan.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast