Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Q:

You really think it only changed the network settings? I mean, it took two months to deliver the update.
  2. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM View Post
    Well I installed the update via SD card, no problems. So far I haven't noticed much either way. Data speed isn't any faster, but it might be making the initial connection faster.
    Data speed won't be any faster as the result of this MR update. The time it takes your phone to log on the network should, on average, be faster.

This update to the 1.10 MR addresses an oversight in a new data connection authentication mechanism (i.e., how the phone logs into the network) that was introduced in the Verizon 1.10 MR when it was first released in July. Evidentally; this new mechanism is to become a stardard, but Verizon is the first to actually deploy it. As I understand it, the Palm/Verizon developers didn't anticipate a certain aspect of this authentication mechanism that caused the radio in the phone to temporarly shut down. The result was Error 3000. Once the mechanism was deployed to the masses, the issue surfaced but wasn't all that easy to solve.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  3. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Q:

You really think it only changed the network settings? I mean, it took two months to deliver the update.
    The following explains the issue much better than I did: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...authentication

I suspect the fix has been around for several weeks, but they wanted to really test it so they were sure this time.
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/21/2007 at 11:56 PM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
  4. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I have not idea why it would take two months to get a fix out. I suspect, given Verizons reputation for testing things to death, that a fair chuck of this two months was spent testing the fix.
    And their extensive testing process resulted in such a good product the first two times!
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I'd just like to chime in and report success with the "_" release. All seems fine. I have noted that speed tests using http://dslreports.com/mspeed are up to twice as fast as before, but tethered mode speed to my mac are the same.

I too am seeing the faster network login time, quite a bit faster and none of that lag after authentication and before you get the connected status. Also with the non "_" release my phone would often have to try and authenticate a couple times (without errors) before it would connect. Now it is almost instantaneous.

I have also noticed that the data gathering phase of my TomTom Navigator traffic function is working much faster, and I haven't had any of the nasty problems where I have to turn my GPS brick off and back on to get it to work right. This is probably just a coincidence, however, because all that should have changed on my phone were the network issues, but it might have been network lag that was affecting TomTom before?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Did anyone else notice that the date stamp on this release is Sep. 5th? Looks like this update has been in the "wild" for a few weeks. Hopefully it was throughly field tested before they posted it?
  7. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kludge View Post
    Did anyone else notice that the date stamp on this release is Sep. 5th? Looks like this update has been in the "wild" for a few weeks. Hopefully it was throughly field tested before they posted it?
    That isn't much of an indication of how long the fix has been around. It could have been around longer than this, in a more primative form, but not packaged until the 5th. I'm sure Palm/Verizon tested the crap out of this thing given how bad they looked first time around.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I love getting this error now every-time I do a speed test at DSL reports.
    "unstable/too fast a result (2.522s) please choose a larger file" :-)
    Does anyone know what's changed? the rom files are the same.
    The CDMAUpdater firmware version is still 188. I have not got a copy of the old CDMAUpdater (188 again) to compare it to. I think something is changed in the CDMAUpdater.

I will compare the difference between both of them when I get the old file back from another computer later.

Does the "Verizon Wireless" banner reappear again?

Changing the 4 letter token in DeviceCustomizer\Scenarios\VZWSecureSD.pdb or DeviceCustomizer\Scenarios\SPNTSecureSD.pdb should let you "Cross-upgrade" between prodivers.
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kludge View Post
    My replacement unit came with this second update preinstalled, and I've had it since the 13th, which means they mailed it a few days before that. Others here on this board seem to have had their data connection problems fixed prior to that with their replacement units, so it actually makes sense that it was finished around the 5th and put into replacement units for shipment.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Guys, I do report that the update went through on my device [edited, the statement is not true]

What I am doing

- Phone starts disconnected from the data network
    - I initiate a data session (i.e. fetch mail) and the Connection pop-up appears. I get connected and download data succesfully.
    - I then place a phonecall (at this hour only my voicemail will answer me ).
    - I finish the phone call, the gray triangles show data idle, but then I try to do a data session and nothing happens. I do not get the Error 3000 pop-up but I just simply CAN'T DO SQUAT with the data services.

I have tried several times with both a blank device (after a hard reset) and with my restored data and apps... and it is still the same behaviour.

[Edited, the update DID do something to my phone, please read below post and/or entry #69 ...
    Last edited by waldo15; 09/22/2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Edited the statements perceived as bold and blank...
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    So I went ahead and tried again. Same steps as above and nothing, no data. However, I noticed the following.

- I was trying to re-initiate a data session RIGHT AFTER placing a phone call (think 1-2sec). In that scenario the Data network services will not work even though the data link shows as idle.

- I waited for about a minute (writing the above post) and the phone was doing nothing, I then tried data services again and ONLY AFTER SOME TIME (~1 min or so) I was able to browse the web again and use data services without having to disconnect from the network and then reconnect.

So it is true what that tech was telling about the 700w problems with network encryption verification and that it takes 60 second for the phone to re-try the encryption keys with the network.

So that's my conclusion I guess, after using the phone for a phone call wait 60 seconds and then use the data network. Please see post #69 for further comments

If this is a technical constrain of the new network policies I am OK, but I did not have to do this before the MR 1.10 and its bizarro brother MR1.10_ so I don't think I am quite the happy camper yet...
    Last edited by waldo15; 09/22/2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: PLease check my new entry 69
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    I'm wondering if everyone that has had good reusuts with the underscore release is in an EVDO area. While not the way it should be my 700p would work in EVDo. It was in 1x that it became abysmally slow, dropping and hanging. As I live in a strong EVDO I only have this problem when I am away from home so its hard to test. But might be a good readon to pull out the motorcycle (g).
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I'll be reading intently over the next few months, then I may update from 1.06, but as of now there is a bad taste in my mouth from eating palm's bs sandwiches the past year. Good luck to all! I sincerely hope this fixes the issues plaguing our devices...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I'll be reading intently over the next few months, then I may update from 1.06, but as of now there is a bad taste in my mouth from eating palm's bs sandwiches the past year. Good luck to all! I sincerely hope this fixes the issues plaguing our devices...
    I have 1.06 and pretty happy. But I'm thinking about pulling the trigger now. The only problem I really have is some lags in sms.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    So I went ahead and tried again. Same steps as above and nothing, no data. However, I noticed the following.

- I was trying to re-initiate a data session RIGHT AFTER placing a phone call (think 1-2sec). In that scenario the Data network services will not work even though the data link shows as idle.

- I waited for about a minute (writing the above post) and the phone was doing nothing, I then tried data services again and ONLY AFTER SOME TIME (~1 min or so) I was able to browse the web again and use data services.

So it is true what that tech was telling about the 700w problems with network encryption verification and that it takes 60 second for the phone to re-try the encryption keys with the network.

So that's my conclusion I guess, after using the phone for a phone call wait 60 seconds and then use the data network.
    Several things to address here....I'll start with basics: I have no trouble initiating a data connection immediately after a phone call since the second update. I have tried every combination to test it, and I do not have your problem.

Which leads me to my second point: after two months of data connection problems I certainly sympathize with your current personal troubles, but it would be most helpful to avoid making blanket statements like "This update did not fix anything, just removed the annoying Error 3000 pop-up" and "So that's my conclusion I guess, after using the phone for a phone call wait 60 seconds and then use the data network." It confuses many people who don't realize that, so far, you are the ONLY person reporting any trouble with the update (other than an installation warning), and so far no one else seems have your particular problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    This update to the update doesn't do anything for the reset issue. Remember, resets on POS are part of the fun of owning the device.

I had a few hiccups with Chatter as well, but now all seems fine. I had to remove the SD card, then reinsert it (I store my messages on my SD card). After doing this, I used the Reload Mailbox utility to resync Chatter with my IMAP mailbox.

Remember, this update to the update doesn't install ANYTHING on your Treo. All it did was modify network settings.
    If you are using chatter to check alot of accounts 5+ you may be running out of tcp sockets. Try switching chatter to only sync while idle. This solved my random reboots while browsing the web.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I have 1.06 and pretty happy. But I'm thinking about pulling the trigger now. The only problem I really have is some lags in sms.
    Dude, seriously, for your own sanity, wait. I was the second person at the local Verizon store to get the first version of this update. On July 6, it was applied by a Verizon representative at the local store. I won't get into details, but let me say wait. I have a nightmare of a story and would probably need to write a book to tell the whole story properly.

Key => WAIT + WAIT + WAIT = !HAPPINESS
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    Several things to address here....I'll start with basics: I have no trouble initiating a data connection immediately after a phone call since the second update. I have tried every combination to test it, and I do not have your problem.

Which leads me to my second point: after two months of data connection problems I certainly sympathize with your current personal troubles, but it would be most helpful to avoid making blanket statements like "This update did not fix anything, just removed the annoying Error 3000 pop-up" and "So that's my conclusion I guess, after using the phone for a phone call wait 60 seconds and then use the data network." It confuses many people who don't realize that, so far, you are the ONLY person reporting any trouble with the update (other than an installation warning), and so far no one else seems have your particular problem.
    A forum, by definition, encourages these types of "blanket statements" for further discussion. Others browsing this forum may find they have the same issue, thus validating this statement or post. If the talking point has increased feedback, then it would be split onto another thread.

I find the comment completely appropriate for the simple reason of it providing a possible issue with certain configurations. In my deciding whether or not to update my device, I will consider this issue, no matter what the current reporting percentage is and others may decide the same. Some may want to see a larger "test" audience before updating.

These are applications which have been developed and no one can develop for every possible configuration. Because of this reason, a larger audience helps bring issues to the attention of others.

Not taking sides, just promoting the spirit of a forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedc02 View Post
    I'm wondering if everyone that has had good reusuts with the underscore release is in an EVDO area. While not the way it should be my 700p would work in EVDo. It was in 1x that it became abysmally slow, dropping and hanging. As I live in a strong EVDO I only have this problem when I am away from home so its hard to test. But might be a good readon to pull out the motorcycle (g).

I'm in a 1x area, and the underscore release has definitely helped. I'm not getting any 3000 errors, but I do still get a "website not available" message. Two or three retries and then the data connects, and seems to stay connected.

Even before the underscore update, the phone worked well when I was in EVDo areas, so I'm hopeful for continued effectiveness there.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast