1.    #1  
    I've seen several threads about this, but never addressing my problem.

I have had my phone since it was released, and it has been pretty good. However, it has always had an infrequent problem that has become more frequent since I installed the MR a few months back.

I don't have anything set, and never have, to automatically access the network. I check my Versamail manually when I need to. I may browse a few websites occasionally other than that.

It seems now that every few times I access Vision, it does not release the connection. If I go to the phone page, I can see the activity indicator going. It may turn gray, then turn active again every few seconds. I do a soft reset to stop it. If I don't, it drains the battery in a few hours.

What is causing this and how can I stop it?
    Don't know what causes this but I've occasionally had this problem too.

It is fairly infrequent for me.... on average maybe once every 2 - 3 months, but it does happen. It does seem to be related to the phone not releasing the connection but I think there may be other things going on to as the battery drains much faster than it would if I was to just use the net enough to keep the phone from closing its connection. It almost seems to me like there is some background process in the OS that will occasionally get stuck in a loop. When this does happen the phone will easily go through the whole battery in a day tops (and that's if it's off most of the day). A soft reset resolves the issue (although these days I'm resorting to removing the battery for a couple of minutes to reset the phone as it seems to do a much better job of clearing out some of the other issues.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info.

I guess we are the only two who have ever had this problem...
    clindner:

Once you are connected to vision or power vision, the T700p will never release the network connection, unless it is manually done, through prefs. Some programs will automatically disconnect, after you exit them. You can also download a couple of programs that you can set to a hard key to disconnect. One that works very well is reset Net Lib.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...l?Reset_Netlib

Also there is a program out called power hero by hobbyist software, that will disconnect you from the network after so many minutes of inactivity.

http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/power-hero-more.php

I have always made it a point to disconnect from the power/vision network after using it to avoid battery drain.

Good luck.
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the links. However, I am a bit unclear about what you mean about "never releasing the vision connection."

Here are the types of behaviors my 700p has shown over the past year...

After connecting to retrieve e-mail or browse the web, the unit will normally remain connected to vision, grayed-out activity indicators, for several hours. Eventually, the connection is broken, and the arrows above the signal meter go away, with the power vision indicator to the left in a blue (gray?) block.

Sometimes, with the vision connected, and the activity indicators grayed-out, it will frequently connect for some inexplicable reason, and I can sit and watch the indicators go from gray to blue with the power vision activity pulsing, then back to gray, then back to blue, etc. In this mode, the battery will drain overnight.

So, yes, I have seen where vision can remain connected, but not drain the battery. In the first scenario, if I go to retrieve e-mail again, it doesn't have to negotiate the connection, since it is already connected.
    Have you loaded any apps recently that will access the internet in background? An example could be chatter, or snappermail. They have settings that allow them to go out and search for new data on a timed basis. What apps do you have installed that require internet access?
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    I had a similar problem with my 650 a ways back, before it died completely (of unrelated issues). The only thing I could figure out was that it only seemed to happen in very weak signal areas (like my office). I'm afraid I didn't figure out what the issue was, though, before it was replaced by my 700p. Which, btw, didn't show the same problem.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    Have you loaded any apps recently that will access the internet in background? An example could be chatter, or snappermail. They have settings that allow them to go out and search for new data on a timed basis. What apps do you have installed that require internet access?
    I don't have anything installed that accesses the web, other than the apps that come with the phone. This occurs sometimes when I only access email.
    I have no apps installed either that would access the net in the background (and Versamail was never configured for this either). The connection to the network is usually released automatically by my phone after 1 - 2 hours of complete net inactivity. I suppose it could theoretically be signal related, but if it is it is only triggered by a weak signal and will not go away once the signal is restored.

My money would still be riding on a background process in the OS going occasionally berzerk. Again for me it is pretty infequent, and these days (post-MR) I'm now going 1 - 2 months between resets, so aside from this the OS seems pretty stable for the most part. I never got around to testing bluetooth out with it long-term again after the MR (in my experience one of the leading causes of OS instability with the 700p), I kinda got used to not using my headset (which is pretty sad when I think about it) but that's a whole different thread.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Download and try Power Hero as stated before. One thing it has that's great as a detailed log file to find this stuff out. You may not need power hero, but download and run it then check the log file after a day or so.