1.    #1  
    I am really loving the Sprint Airave. I can get 6 bars on my 755p if I am within about 20' of the device with no obstructions. I had to get out a magnifying glass to count them.

We have a good Airave thread going on over on the TreoCentral CDMA-North America forum.
    I sooooo hope this makes its way to Ohio soon (I know I read that it was nationally available in '08).
    I like my 755, I like Sprint and I like my plan and relatively low cost including data.
    I don't like having NO coverage or near useless coverage in my house.
    I hope, like some of the posters in the other thread, that they allow you to simply get it for the reception purpose - I don't need unlimited minutes. I just need a signal!
    Me being a cheap b*stard, does anyone know of a device that will work like Airave without having to pay a monthly service? Like use Skype. I'm just not terribly happy with Sprint and don't feel the need to share anymore of my money with them.

I do look forward to seeing what the market will comeup with.
    Supposedly you have the option of having the device just to use in your home (or office or whereever, but it in itself cannot be moved around) to increase the signal. You do not have to opt for the $15 or $30 upcharge to your plan to be able to use it for unlimited VOIP type minutes.
    We currently use about half of our family plan and therefore don't need to increase our minutes available to us we just need to be able to use the stupid phone in our house and therefore use the minutes we have already.
    I've got Airave and was told that there was no way to provision the device without the $15 monthly plan. Not sure if I'll keep it...
    I did some reading up on some other web sites this morning.
    It looked like before it came out there would be a $5/month option for those that wanted to just use it with their plan and have it just use the minutes in the plan rather than the unlimited option for $15 or $30 a month. I think I read in the CDMA forum here on Treo Central that one individual was able to get it without any plan add ons just to increase his signal in his home.
    I spoke to a rep at a store yesterday (here in Ohio so it is not here yet) and he know nothing of it. He started talking about the option of me decreasing from the 2100 minute family plan to the 1400 minute family plan since our calls at home would be free. This would be a decrease of $20 per month to help offset the $30 month fee for the Airave.
    I have 2 problems with that thinking:
    1) If the device has a 5000 sq. foot area that it will increase the signal and if it is in my basement and I am upstairs - it may be out of range. In which case I am going to be using cell minutes and not unlimited Airave minutes. So decreasing my minutes may backfire if I were to then use more than 1400.
    2) I don't want to have to adjust my plan and pay anything more a month. I just want to increase my signal. I realize I would or may have to pay for the device to get it but then shouldn't have to pay more other than that.
    It is good to hear that it is working well for some people though.
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    Me being a cheap b*stard, does anyone know of a device that will work like Airave without having to pay a monthly service? Like use Skype. I'm just not terribly happy with Sprint and don't feel the need to share anymore of my money with them.

I do look forward to seeing what the market will comeup with.
    I agree. The question is how you weigh things out. If you have a lan line or VOIP like I do and pay $30 bucks a month, is it worth having Airave and paying $15 to $30 more to remedy your spotty coverage in the house when you can just use your lan line phone instead of your cell? I also have bad coverage in the house but I tend to use my home phone thru Comcast. If you do business at home and need your cell phone then I can see paying extra for Airave. If you don't have a lan line or any other home phone sevice and your cell is your main phone, then I can see using Airave. Other than that I don't see it being worth the money because Sprint wants you to now pay more to remedy an already lacking network. With that extra $15 to $30 for the Airave, I would just cut the middle device out and go to Verizon and pay extra for data and you will be close to breaking even and we all know how solid Verizon's network is. Sprint plans on becoming an internet company for mobile acces and application with XOHM. Beyond just Laptops, the vision of Xohm is to empower PMPs, video cameras, MP3s and more with Internet access...having the Airave would be a plus modeled around the new Sprint next year...Then I will think about getting an Airave to take advantage of that 4G network. This could be a solid foundation for justifying the Airwave for more than a remedy to spotty coverage at home.
    at&t iPhone3G