Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So we are one week away from the world-anticipated GMM 5.0 release which will include many new enhancements and might fix some existing bugs (still no word on those yet). It has been at least a year in the making, but no word yet to any of its clients on whether or not it will drop next week, next month or next year. You would think that by now that Good nows if it will indeed launch in a week's time. If they are unsure at this point then you can bet they are not ready. Large corporate users like my company have to spend hundreds of man-hours to prepare for such a release. So you would hope that the Good reps would give us plenty of warning on when to expect the new release. As of yet no one from Good has given our IT team any confirmation on when to expect 5.0. So we wait. But we wait with the comfort that we are invested with the industry leader (leader in what...not sure).
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Conekkted, I offered to put you and your "large corporate" installation on the beta, yet you declined assuming you would already be on the beta. Based upon your comments, you obviously are not on the beta. With all your rants and bashing here, and on numerous other threads, I gave you the opportunity to have a first look at the product, yet you said no. Therefore, your opinion regarding the product and the company, are entirely moot.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=141313
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 09/20/2007 at 01:56 PM.
  3.    #3  
    In typical Good fashion you said alot, but didn't answer any of your customer's questions. My post above says we are 1 week away from the announced release of a major version upgrade to a product that has a history of being very unstable across different devices, yet none of Good's customers have been informed on the actual release date in order to plan their roll-out schedules. Is any of that untrue? Does the fact that you offered to put me on the beta somehow change that fact? Would 5.0 be released on time and with better functionality feedback had I been on the beta? Is my non-participation in the beta holding you guys up? My apologies. I appreciate your confidence in my QA skills, but that doesn't seem to make much sense. Just because you are frustrated with your company's inabilities to satisfy certain segments of the market and therefore you catch some of the flack is no reason to call my opinions moot. I would have to say that your post was more of the moot point as it did not address the OP at all.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    1) There has not been an announced release date, therefore, we are one week away from a target date. Keyword being target.
    2) In your opinion, an unstable product. With over half a million users and growing by 10's of thousands a month, while there have been some issues (as with any software package) "historically unstable" is not one one them.
    3) You have proven you are all talk. You have all these criticisms regarding GMM, yet when given the opportunity to have DIRECT input on the product, you declined with some excuse that your company has such a large installation, you would automatically be included. Yet, you weren't, which leads me to question the size of your organization's installation. You have consistently hammered our developers, our process and our organization as a whole, implying on several occassions that you know better. You have criticisms regarding feature and functionallity, yet when given the chance to affect the product you love to bash, you (or, according to your post, one the three people posting as conekkted) decided not to. Therefore, IMO, you are in absolutely no position to critisize. Kind of like the person who doesn't vote yet incesently complains about the government. You have your opportunity to affect it. The fact that you turned it down does make your critiscms carry very little weight. Otherwise, moot.

I have absolutely zero frustration with my company's ability to satisfy any segment of our market. While we have had our issues, as any manufacturer of our size does, as a whole, our customers are very satisfied. You can choose to believe that or not as it truly does not matter to me.

I would love to discuss with you, any issues you have with me, my company or my product. Feel free to PM me and I will give you my direct phone number and email so that you and I can discuss your issues. I have absolutely zero confidence you will take me up on the offer since, as with the beta offer, it would require you to something other than complain. Basically, if you want to address any issues, from this point forward, with me, it will be via the phone or email.

EDIT: Better yet, we are having conference with our larger customers. Send me your information and I will send you an invitation. Then you can meet face to face with executives, prodcut management and others directly involved with GMM.
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 09/20/2007 at 09:24 PM.
  5. WDW
    Now 4 days away from Good's biggest release ever and still no word on if it will actually drop on time. If you go to their home page you would have no idea that any big release was coming. As conekted indicated above, all of their links about 5.0 still point to the june news release (and on their "Latest News" ticker one of the headlines reads "Motorola to Acquire Good Technology"...a news release from November 2006. YIKES). What is going on over there? This is not looking good for all of us waiting for WM6.
    Last edited by WDW; 09/25/2007 at 08:37 AM.
    Treo 750 - ATT branded
    Version: TREO750-2.25-ATT
    WM6 Prof.
    If you look at our history of releases, be it right, wrong or indifferent, we have always handled releases like this. When 4.0 dropped, which at the time was the biggest release ever, there was no announcement of the date until the day it was actually available. I can tell you that I am currently running GMM 5.0 release build 66 on a Sprint 700P and a VZW 700WX and it is very stable from a client perspective.
  7. WDW
    That is great news. I cant wait to get my hands on it and see if this new version will allow my phone to work like it did before I installed GMM.
    Treo 750 - ATT branded
    Version: TREO750-2.25-ATT
    WM6 Prof.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    1)2) In your opinion, an unstable product. With over half a million users and growing by 10's of thousands a month, while there have been some issues (as with any software package) "historically unstable" is not one one them.
    One has to wonder if all the bashers are individuals without any IT support who own Good servers. If not, then their issue is with those who made the corporate decision to own/manage Good servers. Their respective IT departments are where their rants belong, not an internet forum where they ultimately become known for what they are. The facts find humor where the bashers don't intend.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    One has to wonder if all the bashers are individuals without any IT support who own Good servers. If not, then their issue is with those who made the corporate decision to own/manage Good servers. Their respective IT departments are where their rants belong, not an internet forum where they ultimately become known for what they are. The facts find humor where the bashers don't intend.
    Lifes2short, with all due respect, I am not sure what your agenda is. Your username implies that you don't sweat the small stuff yet from my pespective you seem to post an awful lot of opinions on other people's posts/comments. Do you actually use GMM on your Treo or do you support it as an admin? Several of the users (likely some who you would label as "bashers") who post here have stated they are admins and they give detailed descriptions of their issues/etc.--and more importantly they are the very same people along with GG who answer posts all the time in this section.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion I wonder what your objective is? GG, while the victim of some pretty harsh criticism--almost exclusively aimed at his company and very rarely directly at him--seems to do okay on his own with his responses. He gets blasted from time to time but I bet most would applaud his corporate conviction.

While your opinions on the release issue surrounding WM6 and its relationship/non-relationship to GMM are warranted and welcome in the appropriate threads, what is the point of your above post?
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    Now 4 days away from Good's biggest release ever and still no word on if it will actually drop on time. If you go to their home page you would have no idea that any big release was coming. As conekted indicated above, all of their links about 5.0 still point to the june news release (and on their "Latest News" ticker one of the headlines reads "Motorola to Acquire Good Technology"...a news release from November 2006. YIKES). What is going on over there? This is not looking good for all of us waiting for WM6.
    If it helps any...

The last 5 rev's of 5.0 have been very very stable. In addition, the latest release, had most (if not all) markers of beta removed... making it appear very similar to the production version.

Just be patient guys...

And if it helps any... I admin + use goodlink on a daily basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthkim View Post
    If it helps any...

The last 5 rev's of 5.0 have been very very stable. In addition, the latest release, had most (if not all) markers of beta removed... making it appear very similar to the production version.

Just be patient guys...

Darth...you noticed!

Actually, this last revision, if I am not mistaken, is the release candidate and all of the initial bugs I noticed are no longer there. Very solid, which gives me alot of hope that the release date will be met.
    If it helps any...

Just be patient guys...

Just curious--did you happen to try using it with word complete enabled--that is the issue that doesn't seem to work with 4.9 and WM6, at least in my experience. However, with this turned off in my WM6 settings it is already very stable on my leaked WM6 device.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Dsol,

You know, i've been watching these threads regarding this issue with WM6.

Unfortunately for me, Testing WM6 wasn't really a priority. Largely because on VZW, there's only one (Q9m) and we have very few devices on other carriers.

I didn't order the Q9m... largely because i have a feeling that it may not be supported. Due to the fact that the reputed Q9c is to be coming out (specifically for enterprises), making me think that they will support one and not the other. But who knows...

But i do know that this beta supported WM6 Devices, therefore i fully expect any carrier deployed WM6 devices to be supported at launch.

Guys, it seems very close to release.

Just remember, 5.0 will bring some changes to the client and server side. It will help those who run GMD (a lot). But it won't do the following

1) bring world peace
    2) end starvation
    Dsol,

Just remember, 5.0 will bring some changes to the client and server side. It will help those who run GMD (a lot). But it won't do the following

1) bring world peace
    2) end starvation
    How does one release a software update that doesn't include two of the most necessary features?

I didn't order the Q9m... largely because i have a feeling that it may not be supported. Due to the fact that the reputed Q9c is to be coming out (specifically for enterprises), making me think that they will support one and not the other. But who knows...
    The new Q line-up is very impressive. Q9m with GMM is, in alot of opinions here, is the best GMM experience ever. I have seen it on the Q9, not extensively, and it is pretty amazing.

1) bring world peace
    2) end starvation
    The starvation ending will be in the maintenance release in December.

1) bring world peace
    2) end starvation

That's not entirely true. When my company announced that we'd be moving away from GM there were lots of deaths and gnashing of teeth . So in a way, it was bringing "world peace" to my small part of the Earth.

As for starvation, it has only gotten worse. Sleepless nights trying to figure out how to roll out a WM device with ActiveSync to now everyone in my orginzation (approx 100,000 users) has left me with little appetite. However, it has reduced my waist line!
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinehart View Post
    That's not entirely true. When my company announced that we'd be moving away from GM there were lots of deaths and gnashing of teeth . So in a way, it was bringing "world peace" to my small part of the Earth.

As for starvation, it has only gotten worse. Sleepless nights trying to figure out how to roll out a WM device with ActiveSync to now everyone in my orginzation (approx 100,000 users) has left me with little appetite. However, it has reduced my waist line!
    I know which company you are with, J. When you see 5.0, I think you may be able gain that weight back.

How are you going to manage 100K users with EAS?
    I know which company you are with, J. When you see 5.0, I think you may be able gain that weight back.

How are you going to manage 100K users with EAS?

Good question! If all my devices were WM6 it wouldn't kill me. Albeit, it's not nearly as easy as GM since each device requires a security cert which is added manually (working with Sprint to have the mfg add a specific cert like they do for the MotoQ). Of course, that's just for the initial setup, not saying anything about management down the road.

We are one of Microsoft's largest SharePoint deployments so SP integration with WM6 is a HUGE benefit. And with the direction our IT dept is headed, that option will be a necessity in the near future.

I am hoping to pitch an idea to the board that will allow users to have a standard corporate email solution and an upgrade (GMM). Atleast this way, I will only have half the headache to deal with. Now, if I could just negotiate a lower rate for data charges all my troubles would go away.....

EDIT: I am hoping this update gets through in the next few days so the few users I have left can see the difference between the old GM and the new GM. With the benefits/upgrades from 4.9 to 5.0 maybe that will persuade the decision makers to stick with what we got.

GMI will give you sharepoint access and it can push updates from webpages automatically.
    GMI will give you sharepoint access and it can push updates from webpages automatically.

I didn't know that. We have never used GMI, which is probably why I didn't know! That is very helpful information.

GG, do you have any whitepaper or document that outlines what GMI can do and give screens or exmaples?

In version 5.0, has GMI changed? Another question while I'm thinking about it, my major gripe for WM devices and GM was GM takes control of the WM today screen. Is this the same in v5.0 or has that changed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast