Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well after having the treo 600,650 and finally 700p I have gone to the darkside and purchased a sprint mogul which runs WM6. I liked my treos alot but needed a phone that could multitask and do some other things. Just wanted to say thanks to all of you here because over the years I have received more help and hints than I can mention. Thanks again. I am off to join the windows mobile nerds now. So long treonauts... enjoy your treos!
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    who cares
    Quote Originally Posted by pitchristian View Post
    Well after having the treo 600,650 and finally 700p I have gone to the darkside and purchased a sprint mogul which runs WM6. I liked my treos alot but needed a phone that could multitask and do some other things. Just wanted to say thanks to all of you here because over the years I have received more help and hints than I can mention. Thanks again. I am off to join the windows mobile nerds now. So long treonauts... enjoy your treos!
    Maybe in a bit you can let us know how you like it. I am in similar situation I think like many of us who stuck through the whole "running palm platform into the ground" process that started with 650 and are done with Palm. I've been eyeing either Mogul or AT&T's 8525.

Gone are the days when I made fun of my friends with "wince" devices because they crashed every time try tried to do something. These days my 700 crashes ten times more than their devices and I stop showing people capabilities of my phone cuz more often then not it would not work.

Sad, cuz I would love my 700 if it only actually WORKED at least most of the time.

-HH
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hichhiker View Post
    Maybe in a bit you can let us know how you like it. I am in similar situation I think like many of us who stuck through the whole "running palm platform into the ground" process that started with 650 and are done with Palm. I've been eyeing either Mogul or AT&T's 8525.

Gone are the days when I made fun of my friends with "wince" devices because they crashed every time try tried to do something. These days my 700 crashes ten times more than their devices and I stop showing people capabilities of my phone cuz more often then not it would not work.

Sad, cuz I would love my 700 if it only actually WORKED at least most of the time.

-HH
    I have had it for 3 weeks and I love it. I havnt had one reset or the dreaded palm white screen for 2 minutes. The biggest drawback I had was buying all new software and accesories. I really like it though. If you are interested in the Mogul you can learn more at www.sprintmogul.net and www.ppcgeeks.com (its also known as the htc-titan on those boards) The coool thing about it is you can tweek the registry so it is very customizable. I dont regret saying goodbye to palm. good luck
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    who cares
    Okay well thanks to all the contructive info to everyone but YOU!
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I too, have decided to finally leave Palm after YEARS and YEARS of being a loyal Palm user. I just can't deal with the lags, resets, and total lack of Palm support. I may regret this in the end, I hope not. I've been with Palm just about as long as I've been with my wife!!!

I went to the Motarola Q9m - which is the only Windows Mobile 6 that Verizon has available. Why does it take Verizon so long to roll out new phones? I would have waited on the 755 if someone at VZW could have given the slightest clue when they would get it.

Does anyone have any experience with either the Q 9m or Windows 6? Like I said, I may regret this.
  7. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    who cares
    Many of us do. If you don't, then move on.

It's nice when people post that they are leaving the Treo and why. It's also useful when the come back and follow up with their experience with the new device. It is even more useful yet when they chuck the new device and come back to a Treo.
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/22/2007 at 11:55 AM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Just wondering why you did not pick the 700w ?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by evan2000 View Post
    Just wondering why you did not pick the 700w ?
    I had thought about it until I actually started researching some other devices. Once I went and played in the store with the Mogul it grew on me. It has a bigger screen ,but is lighter and slightly smaller form factor. Personal preference I guess. I will say the one thing about my palm I miss, and would have had on the 700w is the KEYBOARD. The mogul has a slide out keyboard which works fine ,but when you are a serial texter like I am, is kinda cumbersome.
    >It's nice when people post that they are leaving the Treo and why.

I used to look for the same thing, and here are my findings after using a 700wx for over a month (used Palm PIM apps last 10 years or so).

-I use the 700wx with the Think Outside bluetooth keyboard and mouse every day to take notes in meetings (while the bluetooth headset is connected).

-I just drove from San Francisco, CA to Santa Barbara, CA (5 hours drive) while tracking my whole trip in Google maps via the i-Blue 737 bluetooth GPS without a single hiccup. I repeatedly used the bluetooth headset, keyboard, and mouse during the drive.

-I use 'Agenda Fusion' for my PIM apps in the 700wx, it works well enough I don't miss the Palm PIM apps.

-I run PDANet over bluetooth daily and have never had it crash.

-The program 'Tracky' works like Google Maps (uses their map database) but caches the maps for use when offline. Thus I can browse a hiking area with Tracky over EVDO, then when hiking the trail and out of range of internet service, I can track my progress on the trails via the Google Map satellite view since the maps are cached by the program during exploratory browsing earlier.

-I use my bluetooth headset routinely without issue.

-I like the WiFi card.

Please note that none of the above activities were possible with the 3 700p handsets I had, and I have only managed to crash the 700wx once in >1 month due to a random junkware program.

I occasionally read the 700p forum in hope of finally finding the 'Palm finally fixed the 700p' announcement because I used to actually care and be upset by the whole fiasco. Now I regret spending so much time with the 700p and sincerely wish I had moved away sooner.

The only downside I can find from moving from the 700p to the 700wx is the lower screen resolution (240x240). However, this is a negligible drawback considering I actually _use_ my phone now that it is reliable. I am eager to test Palm's Linux offering when available, but in the meantime I have concluded that Windows Mobile 5 and 6 are incredibly superior to Palm OS 5 from a reliability standpoint.
    I too have given up on Palm. I had consistent problems with the 700p and after 10 months of promises from Palm and no solutions, Verizon was kind enough to allow me to roll my service into an express card for my Macbook Pro. It works every time and I still have their fast EVDO connection. I did have to pay for the card and I was able to keep the 700p as well and I'll probably sell it on ebay. I had bluetooth problems, tethering problems, constant resets and freezes, along with all of the other problems everyone else has lived with.

I've had my new iPhone for 3 weeks now and it's a pleasure to use. There are tradeoffs, but it always works and my bluetooth set always works. The AT&T network is slow, but since I'm usually in range of fast WIFI and with my Verizon card for the computer, my internet access is always fast.

The 700p offered the promise of a perfect solution for my needs, but it just didn't work reliably. Like many of you, I spent lots of my time online looking for tips and workarounds, but I must say that I really like not worrying about if Palm is ever going to fix my phone. this is my first time on TreoCentral in 3 weeks and I just stopped in to see if ther was any progress and I see there is none.

I had an early Treo 300 and a 600 before moving to the 700p and I had lots of cool software for my Treo, but I can't say that I miss it at this point. I've unlocked my iPhone and already installed software on it that adds some of the things it's lacking like the voice recorder and chat software. The larger screen is awesome. I paid $600 for the iPhone and already got a $200 refund from Apple.

I'm not writing this to gloat. I was in the same boat as all of you a few weeks ago and now I'm free from these problems. Things are better now.

Good luck to you all and I hope that Palm will eventually solve your problems. I'd have a really tough time ever considering another Palm product.

Chuck
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    who cares
    Nice people skills
    A.S.d.l.C
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Many of us do. If you don't, then move on.

It's nice when people post that they are leaving the Treo and why. It's also useful when the come back and follow up with their experience with the new device. It is even more useful yet when the chuck the new device and come back to a Treo.
    I agree with you, Q.
  14. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I for one appreciate this post. I have been a lifelong Palm user since the Visor Deluxe, and I am done with Palm OS. I intend to get a Mogul / XV6800 when it comes out on Verizon, so I am incredibly interested in all reactions from former POS Treo users. I have never owned a WM device, and have never liked the feel of the OS when I've played with them, but the multitasking alone is driving me to explore that. And I figure just like Palm the power of the platform is all about what 3rd party apps you use to get it set up just right for the way you work, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

Just like Hichhiker, I have gone from laughing at the poor PPC users with their less-than-instant OS, to being embarrassed when at work and I say, "Sure, let me look that up..." and my boss or whoever stands there waiting while I stare at a blank white screen for 30 seconds to a minute waiting for any sign that something is happening.

I'd love to hear more from anybody who has gone from Palm to WM, specifically to the Mogul.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I have both the Mogul and the Treo 700p. I was going to use which ever one I ended up liking best and have the other as the backup / modem phone. After weeks of fooling with the Mogul - I just can't get passed the Windoze OS crappy interface. I constantly leave programs running and the unit eventually run slow as a dog then crashes, unless you make sure you close apps as you are finished with them. Yes all the bells an whistles are nice, but as far as ease of use - Palm wins hands down. Yes palm periodically locks up and is slow , but so does the Mogul and the Q for that matter. If you say otherwise then you are not a heavy user. Just Syncing the Mogul takes for ever. When it tries to sync with Outlook you might as well go get coffee because outlook is no longer available to you. So I continue to use my crappy Palm OS phone as my primary phone and use the Mogul as a backup phone / Modem. IMHO.
    Having a phone as backup/modem is silly. Pick one. Get a data card if you need a "backup" modem.

But i agree with you on the windows interface. Of course there's a lot of programs you can download to perhaps fix some of the problems..but like you, i'm tired of doing that. 3rd party apps should go beyond the basic functions...like games or other things. I mean, c'mon, why can't you close a program in windows mobile without tweaking it to death?

http://forum.phonedifferent.com/showthread.php?t=152976 Windows and palm need to keep it simple. A lesson from apple should be taken. Palm wins big over windows in this regard.

I looked at getting a mogul earlier for the wife. But the true test is letting her use it as i'm familar with a lot of em. We're in the store, call the salesperson over about the Mogul. Why? Because my wife couldn't even turn the phone on. Well..neither could the saleslady and she had to get help. Finally it got on. After 10 min of both of them trying to get to the phone pad just to see what the basic volume was like, my wife gave up.

And so the Mogul struck out. What's the use of having a billion features if the average person can't even use the damn thing? Palm's next OS should not go in this direction. Let's hope they don't bungle that up in trying to bring multitasking to it.
    I agree WM5 takes longer to learn than OS5. For instance, I found the freeware program 'vbar' is excellent for managing the problem you indicated about having too many programs in memory (also for routine task switching). Regarding the slow sync speed, the items which sync are completely configurable. In my case, only my calendar syncs (on a 700wx) and over bluetooth completes the operation in <10 seconds. Over USB, the sync completes in less than 5 seconds.

I agree Palm is more simple to use, and am eager to again consider Palm when they finish porting Linux to the Treo.

Quote Originally Posted by apcmiami View Post
    I have both the Mogul and the Treo 700p. I was going to use which ever one I ended up liking best and have the other as the backup / modem phone. After weeks of fooling with the Mogul - I just can't get passed the Windoze OS crappy interface. I constantly leave programs running and the unit eventually run slow as a dog then crashes, unless you make sure you close apps as you are finished with them. Yes all the bells an whistles are nice, but as far as ease of use - Palm wins hands down. Yes palm periodically locks up and is slow , but so does the Mogul and the Q for that matter. If you say otherwise then you are not a heavy user. Just Syncing the Mogul takes for ever. When it tries to sync with Outlook you might as well go get coffee because outlook is no longer available to you. So I continue to use my crappy Palm OS phone as my primary phone and use the Mogul as a backup phone / Modem. IMHO.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I have had a Palm since 1999, but Wednesday morning I got fed up after my Treo 700P froze up when I was trying to hang up a call and then went into an endless reboot loop. I was able to hard reset and restore from my backup, but this was the 2nd time this happened in two weeks. I drove straight to the Verizon store to see what they had.

I ended up getting the Motorola Q 9m, a Windows Mobile 6 phone. So far I am loving it. It has been stable, downloads data very fast (seems to be at least 2x faster than my Treo), the bluetooth stays connected, and the interface isn't from 1999. The battery life seems extremely good as well. It also looks cool and uses a standard mini USB to charge and sync. This may not be the right phone for everyone, but it sure is for me.

No I did not get any special deals from Verizon. They gave me the phone at the 2 year contract rate, but I would have had to wait another 3 months to get the New Every Two $100 discount. I just was not willing to wait any longer.

I am an attorney and I cannot afford to be screwing around with phone problems. I am in court a lot and rely on my contacts and calendar when I am out of the office.

Palm seems to have made a lot of missteps lately. I have lost faith in them as a company. Hopefully they will pull it together, but for me, it was time to move on for a prettier, younger phone that would not nag me with its problems.

This forum has been a great place to get information and share problems and solutions. Hopefully, I can find a Q community as good as you all have been.
    Palm IIIx -> Sprint Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 600 -> Verizon Treo 700P -> Verizon Motorola Moto Q 9m
    Jabra JX10 -> Motorola HS-850 -> Aliph Jawbone

Arizona Criminal Attorney |
    Arizona DUI Attorney
    This is a great thread, interesting and informative. I am most likely leaving the Palm OS after many many years to get an AT&T 8925/Kaiser/Tilt or whatever it will be by November 26 when my Sprint contract runs out. Poor reception in my neighborhood is the reason for leaving Sprint, jump before they crash is the reason for leaving Palm
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pitchristian View Post
    So long treonauts... enjoy your treos!
    ummm. please don't call me a treonaut. i prefer true "TRUE POWER USER"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast