1.    #1  
    Question for anyone using logo hacks....

I used to use these hacks that showed a logo each time I powered up my Visor DLX. I quit using them for a while but recently decided to try a new one I found.

Here's the problem...If the Visor is hotsync'd when the Visor power is turned off, the hack causes a fatal exception. But if I turn the Visor on, then Hotsync it, no errors. The fatal exception is so bad that I have had to do a hard reset and restore to get things working again.

I don't remember that these hacks causing this error before. I've tried Hackmaster and Xmaster to see if it's an issue with the hack manager but it doesn't matter. Also, I've disabled all other hacks to see if it was a hack conflict, but I still have the problem.

Does anybody else have this problem or is it just my machine?
    I'm using the Star Trek Logo hack, and although I sometimes get a fatal exception when HotSyncing, if I do a soft reset, and turn off the Prism, then it works fine. Sometimes it works great and sometimes I have problems. I've disabled the hacks and reinstalled, also. So far no hard reset needed (knock on wood).

Which logo hacks have you tried?

Barb
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Barb
    I'm using the Star Trek Logo hack, and although I sometimes get a fatal exception when HotSyncing, if I do a soft reset, and turn off the Prism, then it works fine. Sometimes it works great and sometimes I have problems. I've disabled the hacks and reinstalled, also. So far no hard reset needed (knock on wood).

Which logo hacks have you tried?

Barb
    Quite a few, the "PalmOS where are you going?", the latest one on PalmGear, "Palm OS4". Even the one I created (Handspring Logo Hack) using the "YourLogo" program doesn't work. I've tried ImagerX hack and it works but I don't like what it does with the contrast (it screws it up).

Update: Sometimes I was able to just do a soft reset but there was at least 2 times that a hard reset/restore was needed. In fact one time, I couldn't even get back into Xmaster to delete the hack. Every time I would go into Xmaster another fatal exception occurred. So I had to reset/restore.

The problem is that I don't remember if this was always a problem or did it just recently started to happen.
    Hey smitty, I posted about your logo hack here, have used it and have no hotsync problem. I have noticed it comes on when entering or exiting Avantgo, some Avantgo chs. and other apps.
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by j762538
    Hey smitty, I posted about your logo hack here, have used it and have no hotsync problem. I have noticed it comes on when entering or exiting Avantgo, some Avantgo chs. and other apps.
    Never heard of those probs you mention. All it's suppose to do is come on at power up.

I used a program that takes a bitmap of choice and turns it into a prc file to install. I did was create the bitmap in black/white form. The program is called YourLogo and can be found at palmgear.com.

I can't see how that hack could be interfering with Avantgo, could another hack be the problem?
    You know, I had a similar problem, or so I thought. I had been using Imager X with Commander. It would hang if my VDX wasn't turned on. It turned out to be a security issue. Commander need a password and with the logo poping up nad hot sync running. Phhhht. I am currently running the Palm OS4 logohack with no problems.
    "We are the people are parents warned us about."

<b>Clark Fralick</b>
  7.    #7  
    What's really strange is that SplashHack will work correctly. I can have the Visor turned off, insert it into the cradle and press the hotsync button and no fatal errors.

go figure.....
  8.    #8  
    Just for "****s & Giggles"....

I backed up my Visor DLX, did a hard reset, reinstalled just hackmaster and my logo hack (Handspring Logo Hack) then tried to sync without the unit being powered on, and guess what.......

I still get the fatal exception. So now I know it has nothing to do with a app/hack conflict issue, or a saved preference issue. If it was going to work it should have done it under these circumstances.

Anybody using a Visor Deluxe, are you able to get these hacks working? To test, install the hack, turn off the power on your Visor, put the Visor in the cradle, then do a hotsync.... what are your results?

I also use the yourlogo hack and have the same fatal error faults during syncing. My solution is to turn the Visor on with the power button, let the logo display, then hit the hotsync button. It works just fine then. Don't try to use the hotsync button on the cradle to power up and sync; you are in for a fatal error. It would be nice if the author of yourlogo would fix it, but there are work arounds. I hope this helps.
    The following space intentionally left blank...

RadarGreg
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by RadarGreg
    I also use the yourlogo hack and have the same fatal error faults during syncing. My solution is to turn the Visor on with the power button, let the logo display, then hit the hotsync button. It works just fine then. Don't try to use the hotsync button on the cradle to power up and sync; you are in for a fatal error. It would be nice if the author of yourlogo would fix it, but there are work arounds. I hope this helps.
    Yeah I know that's the work around but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one having the problem. It's good to hear that some else can re-produce the issue. Earlier posts said they didn't have the problem, so I couldn't figure out why I was the only person with the issue.

Thanks for the feed back.
  11.    #11  
    More info..

I finally found the author's website and this is the last 2 lines of the page:

"Known problems:

When hotsyncing from the cradle when the unit is off you must keep the hotsync button pressed until the logo disappears. "

This still doesn't solve the problem. Oh well, this hack just isn't worth this much time to figure out.

Here endth this thread....