Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    OK...

    I've about had it with my 700p - Sprint. Frequent self-reboots, lock-ups, txt message issues and horrible Bluetooth have me at my wit's end.
    I'm starting my quest to find a replacement for this device.

    So far I've checked-out the:
    Mogul
    • Too thick.
    • Not sure about battery life.
    • Not crazy about WM6
    • PIE sucks...but less than Blazer
    • Rev.A Upgradeable
    • Decent resolution, large screen

    iPhone
    • Text messaging or any typing on the virtual keyboard is a joke.
    • EDGE is a bigger joke
    • Price and plans = mega-hecka-super-duper joke
    • I do like the form factor, resolution and screen size
    • I'm OK with Safari. Recent Mac switcher; becoming an Apple fanboy

    BB Curve
    • The browser is P.O.S...laughable, really.
    • Scroll wheel/pearl-ball kinda cool
    • No touch screen
    • What's up with the 80's IBM PC jr fonts on messaging/email/browser?
    • Extra for email service? nobody can seen to tell me if I have to pay for BB service..is it mandatory to receive my POP3 IMAP emails?
    • Screen resolution seems to be a step back from Treo
    • No CDMA version yet
    • No video camera function

    Am I just stuck with the Treo 700p or is there something else that I should look at that is comparable??????
  2. ehosey2's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    #2  
    Umm....a 755p ? It seems to work pretty well for most people. I know you said a Treo replacement, but did you try a 755p yet ?
    HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T
    HP Touchpad 32GB
  3. ljcobb's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #3  
    I'd been with Palm since Palm had cell phones. I just traded by 700p for a Mogul.

    For the first week I was sure the Mogul was going back to the store every day. Now I love it. It took a while to figure out how to do all the tweaks and get everything running the way it did on the Palm but I'm pretty much there now.

    The screen resolution leaves something to be desired. Everything else is better and nicer. You'll love it if you give it some time.

    The battery does not last as long as it did on my Palm, but my Palm wasn't checking for email for me all day either. Like most cell phone batteries it takes a week or so to break it in to get a decent days use out of it.
  4. #4  
    755p...
  5. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    755p...
    Most definately. If you are a sprint customer, there is no reason you should be using the 700P The 755P is what the 700P should have been.

    Call Sprint and raise cain that you are tired of the buggy, crashing 700P they sold you and demand a replacement 755P. You might get lucky and get it. If not, then pay the money to try it out for a week before jumping to one of these other devices.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Most definately. If you are a sprint customer, there is no reason you should be using the 700P The 755P is what the 700P should have been.

    Call Sprint and raise cain that you are tired of the buggy, crashing 700P they sold you and demand a replacement 755P. You might get lucky and get it. If not, then pay the money to try it out for a week before jumping to one of these other devices.
    from everything I've read and heard, the 755 is nothing more than the 700p + MR....at least that's the feedback from former 700p owners who've swapped-out for the 755. When you think about it, it's the same hardware, BT stack and software set....how could the 755 be any better?
  7. #7  
    Given the choices as you laid them out..the 755p is the winner..lol
  8. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    from everything I've read and heard, the 755 is nothing more than the 700p + MR....at least that's the feedback from former 700p owners who've swapped-out for the 755. When you think about it, it's the same hardware, BT stack and software set....how could the 755 be any better?
    No, not quite. I am a Treo 700P owner and the MR broke about as much as it fixed. I honestly believe that the 700P has some hardware issues that Palm won't admit. Palm fixed these hardware issues in the 755P which is why Palm still hasn't (and can't) fixed the 700P.

    The 755P is a better form factor than the 700, has better hardware, and more included apps. Palm won't admit it, but the 75P is what the 700P should have been
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  9. #9  
    Well, you asked for a suggestion on a Treo replacement.....

    You won't find a direct replacement for the Treo. Nothing else currently exsists in the Treo class.

    As for the suggestion, you might try learning about the devise (OS) and figure out what's going on with it. ie: troubleshoot

    I also have a Sprint 700p with the MR installed, IT/Enterprize version, SD card method of install on June 4th. I have no phone, text messaging, bluetooth or data connection issues. No spontaneous resets. I have approximately 145 3rd party installed.

    It freakin works...

    I hope this is not to harsh...

    :cheers
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Well, you asked for a suggestion on a Treo replacement.....

    You won't find a direct replacement for the Treo. Nothing else currently exsists in the Treo class.

    As for the suggestion, you might try learning about the devise (OS) and figure out what's going on with it. ie: troubleshoot

    I also have a Sprint 700p with the MR installed, IT/Enterprize version, SD card method of install on June 4th. I have no phone, text messaging, bluetooth or data connection issues. No spontaneous resets. I have approximately 145 3rd party installed.

    It freakin works...

    I hope this is not to harsh...

    :cheers
    Wow..you are one of the few...ever consider buying a lottery ticket?

    I've done the troubleshooting "load a single app and test it" method. It didn't help as the only app I have is Softick Audio Gateway...and my instability issues occurred before I purchased this application.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Given the choices as you laid them out..the 755p is the winner..lol
    I'm not opposed to another Treo like the 755; just as long as it works.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    No, not quite. I am a Treo 700P owner and the MR broke about as much as it fixed. I honestly believe that the 700P has some hardware issues that Palm won't admit. Palm fixed these hardware issues in the 755P which is why Palm still hasn't (and can't) fixed the 700P.

    The 755P is a better form factor than the 700, has better hardware, and more included apps. Palm won't admit it, but the 75P is what the 700P should have been
    So you are speaking from a first hand experience on the 700 vs 755. Honestly, has the 755 crashed at all or just a little less?

    And what about Bluetooth? Honestly, is is the same as the 700P MR or is it better?
  13. #13  
    Perhaps I am lucky, but my 700p came from Sprint with 1.10...and I have dozens of third-party applications installed and it is as solid as a rock.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Perhaps I am lucky, but my 700p came from Sprint with 1.10...and I have dozens of third-party applications installed and it is as solid as a rock.
    Yup...you are one of the few. My wife's 700p has faired better with the MR than mine, but then again I'm a far heavier user of all aspects of the device.

    The performance is much better after the MR but the stability is equal, if not worse than post MR.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Wow..you are one of the few...ever consider buying a lottery ticket?
    I don't play the lottery. Why? Expecting to win the lottery is like expecting to find that perfect direct Treo replacement. It ain't gonna happen...hehehe

    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I've done the troubleshooting "load a single app and test it" method. It didn't help as the only app I have is Softick Audio Gateway...and my instability issues occurred before I purchased this application.
    Wow....I have SAG 1.14 installed in the RAM too, along with approx 144 other apps installed on the 700p. Use it with a Moto HT820 bluetooth stereo headset to listen to mp3's or internet streaming.

    I also have a Moto H700 paired for typical phone call use.

    I have no 700p stability problems. Can't seem to find a bluetooth issue either.

  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Wow....I have SAG 1.14 installed in the RAM too, along with approx 144 other apps installed on the 700p. Use it with a Moto HT820 bluetooth stereo headset to listen to mp3's or internet streaming.
    I have SAG 1.14 and the Moto HT820. Sometimes SAG and sometimes the BT independently cause a lock-up or reboot.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Perhaps I am lucky, but my 700p came from Sprint with 1.10...and I have dozens of third-party applications installed and it is as solid as a rock.
    Hey Scuba_steve,
    just out of super curiosity.. would you mind listing what exactly you run on your phone. Do you use bluetooth? (if so what kind). Do you use versamail?
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
  18. ehosey2's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    #18  
    I also have SAG 1.14 installed on my 755p and have no problems at all. The bluetooth on my 755p connects with no problems. My 755p is rock solid with around 40 third party apps. It doesn't crash, freeze, or lockup. Some apps installed are Butler, 2day, Ludus P, Pocket Tunes, and Softick Audio Gateway. And when SAG 1.14 was released for the 755p, it made the device fantastic since A2DP is a must for me. The 755p is the best Treo yet. Don't forget, some bluetooth stereo headsets don't play nice with SAG. And as far as SAG is concerned, the directions state you must uninstall any previous versions before updating to the latest version. Maybe that is causing those lockups and freezes.
    HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T
    HP Touchpad 32GB
  19. #19  
    I have the 755p, and have almost as many network drops as the 700p. I would not recommend trading one bad Palm device, for a slightly less bad Palm device. Go with a Mogul, or BB, while you have the chance.
    Matty
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I have SAG 1.14 and the Moto HT820. Sometimes SAG and sometimes the BT independently cause a lock-up or reboot.
    Dude....

    The problem you have is a SAG issue, not Treo. But easily fixed. You need to realize that SAG 1.14 grabs the Treo bluetooth and won't let go. Even with the 700p bluetooth watchdog disabled.

    Prior SAG versions were hit or miss with the HT820. But with SAG 1.14, the HT820 works very well with the highest bit rate (304) and the highest quality (7)...For me anyway....

    The work around I use, is to launch Treo bluetooth app and shut bluetooth off. Then I shut down PTunes. Then I shut the HT820 headset off.

    Then I turn Treo bluetooth back on and unfold the H700 mic. The H700 connects back up for phone use. When I am using the HT820 for music, the H700 is off.

    No lockup and no reboots. For me anyway. The above procedure may work for you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions