Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Anyone take their AT&T 680 out of the the US? How did it work? Could people reach you on your regular mobile number? How about data access?

I have some international travel coming up and want to know whether I should just stick with my "home" service, or whether I should get AT&T to unlock my 680 and use a "local" (ie foreign) SIM card.

If you used a prepaid foreign sim card, did your data access work?

THanks,

avid
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)
    I've never found a foreign prepaid SIM card that had data access. If anybody has, I'd certainly like to know about it. I try not to use data abroad because it is potentially so expensive, even though there have been times when what I was billed for seemed to match the very little I actually used.
    In the UK, T-Mobile has prepaid plans that have data access capped at 1 pound a day, and Orange has prepaid plans with free data access between 7 PM and 7 AM, and otherwise capped at 2 pounds a day. I haven't used one yet, so I don't know if there are other limitations.
    Does anybody know of a similar card in other European countries, especially France or Italy?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I was just in China and Hong Kong and used my unlocked T680 with pre-paid SIM cards from each area.

I only used it for local calls and sms and didn't pay more than $20 US for each card - for activation and minutes. I didn't want to use TMO international calling since it cost more than buying a pre-paid SIM card.

Hope this helps.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    I live in Peru and use my unlocked Treo 680 with the local GSM carrier Telefonica (of Spain origin) with a local regular post plan. Recently I travelled to Chile where I bought a pre-paid SIM card that worked perfectly well and saved me tremendous roaming costs.

Here in Peru we also have a second GSM carrier Claro (ex-TIM) and I constantly exchange their pre-paid SIM card in my Treo without any problem.

Hope my info is usefull to all.
    CHARCAPE
    HP200LX (6 years, excellent) - Treo 180 - Tungsten E - Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I've never found a foreign prepaid SIM card that had data access. If anybody has, I'd certainly like to know about it. I try not to use data abroad because it is potentially so expensive, even though there have been times when what I was billed for seemed to match the very little I actually used.
    As I said in a recent post, my experience in another country (Chile and Argentina in my case, as I live in Peru) is that the Treo work fine with voice and data with foreign pre-paid SIM cards.
    CHARCAPE
    HP200LX (6 years, excellent) - Treo 180 - Tungsten E - Treo 680
    it will get pricey if you use your "USA" SIM. I was in Belfast not too long ago, and over 4 days spent about 180 US dollars for calls, email and texting. Turned off the data link as soon as I was done each time too. I've been told they charge for each minute you are connected.
    My experience with local SIM cards is limited to Vietnam (Vinaphone) and China (China Mobile). With either, GPRS data is available, and in both cases, I was able to receive email and browse the web, however I never was able to send email. You are able to receive data using your regular settings (from your domestic ISP), but must adjust your outgoing setting to specify the SMTP server associated with the local SIM card. Although I had fluent assistance in both countries, we were never able to learn the correct SMTP settings along with using the local website properly to set up outgoing mail. Incoming data is either set up by default when you activate the local SIM or must be done as a separate step on the local Telco's website. As for cost, it is mysterious. In Vietnam it appeared that I was limited to a fixed amount of data received each day, then the server refused to connect. At midnite, I could connect again. In China, I could access data at some unspecified charge until the prepaid value was exhausted. Also complicating inderstanding charges in China was a "feature" automatically activated when I bought the local SIM which delivered incomprehensible news and weather text messages in Chinese. I tried to turn off this feature but fear that it has depleted by SIM anyway. I return to both countries in a few weeks and will try to learn more on this upcoming trip.

As for using your US based SIM, it works for data at .02 per KB on ATT. This is not outrageous if you download only email headers and selected messages and never use webmail or surf the web. I typically incur about $20 per month in roaming data charges when traveling internationally, but I am very careful. Also worth noting is that ATT has roaming agreements with multiple carriers in many countries and not all of these carriers enable data for ATT customers. I have found it necessary to manually select alternate carriers until I find one which supports data as well as voice. Also worth remembering is that Text messages travel as voice, email is data.

Hope that this info is helpful.
    If you ever roam in Malaysia, I highly recommend you get Digi - it comes with GPRS/Edge data access (needs to be activated with a phone call) and its not too expensive. Use up RM149 (less than $50) and you get unlimited data access for a month
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I used in two years ago Europe, Orange Prepaid card worked great but data used up card quickly... Most recently came back from 5 weeks in Europe staying with ATT sim and data ran my bill up to $1K hardly any calls.
    I was in Bogota Columbia last week, TMO voice & data worked fine piggy backing on any of the carriers, movistar, comcel tigo. I tried using a local movistar sim and my phone would not initialize. Same thing happened in Puerto Villarta w/ telcel sim. I had to use my samsung t509 w/ the local sim. I guess it has something to do with the network config in the 680. I am sure it would have worked w/ those local sim's if I did a hard reset, that I am un-willing to do.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Someone at AT&T said that data will not work well for international roaming if i unlock the phone. ARe they blowing smoke?

Since the data & voice on the US SIM would be for business (while traveling internationally), cost is less of an issue (not my nickel ). I guess I am most interested in functionality.

I did find the user's report of a $1000 bill alarming.

Thanks for all your posts.

~aviduser
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)
    It's probably nonsense but if you don't care about the bill, why not use ATT?
    Activesync worked almost flawlessy for me w/ TMO.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    I just spent 3 weeks with my prepaid Thai Sim with full data access at reasonable airtime only rates. Maybe $10 every 4 or 5 days with hourly email checking and downloading of important messages and attachments. Long Distance is the killer cost.

The same in Hong Kong although I now just have a full time account with unlimited data cause it's so cheap.

The AT&T guy is FULL of IT. One has nothing to do with the other.
    Last edited by bigcatny; 09/21/2007 at 02:55 AM.
    Does anybody know of a similar card in other European countries, especially France or Italy?
    I live in Italy, and have a TIM simcard. It is basically a voice Prepaid Gprs/EDGE card but with 20 euros per month You can activate the data service called MaxxiTim Web Facile - Recharge, and have 500 Mb (every month) of traffic web/email 24 hours a day.
    Here is the link http://www.tim.it/consumer/o671/tariffa.do

Dont' know about France but I guess things are going almost the same way. ciao ciao
    Last edited by rubuk; 09/22/2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: corrections
    Venezuela's Digitel prepaid SIM allows GPRS/Edge data access but it needs to be activated with a phone call.