1.    #1  
    I dont understand something, in Europe they call it a treo and being released here they made a whole new device name and its called Centro and looks exactly the same...Did i miss something or does anyone else not realize this?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Centro is smaller than the 500v, the screen is also portrait rather than landscape. The Centro runs PalmOS whereas the 500v runs Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard Edition. The Centro is CDMA whereas the 500v is GSM. There maybe other hardware differences too.
  3.    #3  
    I dont understand the portrait vs. landscape the screen looks more or less the same to me and it looks the same when the phone is turned on, its not like an iphone where u can turn the phone and screen turns with it so what do u mean?
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Centro has:

-320x320 smaller, square touch screen vs. 500's 320x240 larger landscape LCD that's not touch sensitive.

-Centro 3G EVDO CDMA wireless instead of GSM UMTS

-Centro does not have A2DP (500 does). This is a Garnet OS limitation. Centro will probably have the same BT 1.2 stack as the 755p.

-(Naturally) a different software bundle on the Centro, with the new Palm/Sprint IM app, Sprint TV, Sprint mail etc. Overall more "bloatware" on the Centro vs. the 500 (at least in the Vodafone version). The disturbing trend of POS bloatware began on the Sprint 755p, actually.

-Centro has a 1.3mp camera vs. the 500's 2.0mp camera

-Centro PROBABLY has a higher-capacity battery due to the increased power demands of CDMA

-Centro PROBABLY has an IR window due to not wanting to break any legacy POS apps.

-Centro has a smaller overall body and keyboard size.

-Centro also probably has less total usable RAM than the 500v. My guess is ~60mb available for program storage but with less DBheap/Cache than 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Centro has:

-320x320 smaller, square touch screen vs. 500's 320x240 larger landscape LCD that's not touch sensitive.

-Centro 3G EVDO CDMA wireless instead of GSM UMTS

-Centro does not have A2DP (500 does). This is a Garnet OS limitation. Centro will probably have the same BT 1.2 stack as the 755p.

-(Naturally) a different software bundle on the Centro, with the new Palm/Sprint IM app, Sprint TV, Sprint mail etc. Overall more "bloatware" on the Centro vs. the 500 (at least in the Vodafone version). The disturbing trend of POS bloatware began on the Sprint 755p, actually.

-Centro has a 1.3mp camera vs. the 500's 2.0mp camera

-Centro PROBABLY has a higher-capacity battery due to the increased power demands of CDMA

-Centro PROBABLY has an IR window due to not wanting to break any legacy POS apps.

-Centro has a smaller overall body and keyboard size.

-Centro also probably has less total usable RAM than the 500v. My guess is ~60mb available for program storage but with less DBheap/Cache than 755p.
    I don't understand but AD2P is available for the 650, 700's and 755p. Those Palms are running the 3rd party add on that allows ad2p; my question is why cannot Palm just buy the rights and incorporate that into the device? They are all running Garnet!
    The third party A2DP app is pretty buggy, most people don't use it.

PalmOS is not a true multi tasking OS. There are a lot of problems they can't solve fundamentally.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post

PalmOS is not a true multi tasking OS. There are a lot of problems they can't solve fundamentally.
    Its not THAT buggy, its better than serviceable and I find it as others do too, very very cool not to have to use wired headsets.

As to my answer to the question "why doesnt Palm just lincense or buy that app", well Im assuming with their new Linux OS they're planning on having it A2DP compatible just like WinMob.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    As to my answer to the question "why doesnt Palm just lincense or buy that app", well Im assuming with their new Linux OS they're planning on having it A2DP compatible just like WinMob.

U mean their OS that wont be out for at least a year and half now.
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...g-more-delays/
    I have strong doubts about this though because of the recent FCC approval of a Treo 500 in the US...

The Treo 500 must be the Centro... i dont understand why Palm would Label one device Treo and the other Centro when they are essentially the same devices
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    The Treo 500 must be the Centro...
    Even though the leaked photos show a different screen on the Centro and it running PalmOS, the keys are also closer together which suggests a smaller form factor
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I have strong doubts about this though because of the recent FCC approval of a Treo 500 in the US...

The Treo 500 must be the Centro... i dont understand why Palm would Label one device Treo and the other Centro when they are essentially the same devices
    We are all a little bit dumber just for being in the same room as this poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    My experience with Softick Audio Gateway on a 650 is that it is practically bug free.

I am not saying that you are wrong, but what do you base the "most people" assertion on?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    My experience with Softick Audio Gateway on a 650 is that it is practically bug free.

I am not saying that you are wrong, but what do you base the "most people" assertion on?

I tried it on my wife's 755p and it worked fairly well, it was less perfect on the 700p. But Palm if they bought the rights to the program they could refine it and polish it and release it on all their phones.