Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I have manic 'toy-itus' and made an impulse buy a few weeks ago - an 8gb iPhone. Now, I've been with Treo since the 300 but thought it was time for a change. Well, after not using my 700P for 3 weeks and using the iPhone I decided to sell it. Basically it is an entertainment device, not a business device. I didn't like the virtual keyboard - nothing beats hard keys. The browser was a pain because you had to pinch and un-pinch pages to read them. I like the treo wrap feature better for certain pages that are text intensive. The internet speed was too slow compared to the Treo 700p, but to some extent the wifi made up for it. I found myself accidently dialing numbers too often. While they brag about the 'simplicity of design ' I found it took more steps to do many functions. Other things like no cut / paste - no office compatability, no third party apps, and I just decided to get rid of it.

As far as the details - I bought it for 499 and got back 150.00 due to the price change. It's up on craigslist now for $375.00 since I bought a bunch of accessories. ATT is letting me out of the contract since it has not been 30 days. So in the long run I'm not out by very much.

Long Live Treo !
    iphone is better, remember its a first generation device and unlike palm, apple will and does support their product with a steady stream of iphone software updates and new features since the buttons are on the screen instead of the device.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Corey, I'm with you. I was able to pick up the 8 GB Iphone the second day they hit the street. The screen of the Iphone is awesome. The interface is new and fun. But, I returned it and cancelled the AT&T service... I missed my 700p and the wide variety of applications I use on it... Documents to Go, Palm Money, Beyond Contacts, weather, etc.... The 700p is actually like having a miniature version of my desktop computer in my pocket. E mail and texting is super easy and quick. I don't have ready access to wi fi and the Edge network of AT&T is super slow compared to Sprint's Vision (and no I do not work for Sprint) I'm not much of a YouTuber and don't use Itunes so the Iphone went back although I liked it alot. I may have to check out the Sprint Touch when it comes out. BCA
    I hope you guys are also posting these comments in the appropriate iPhone forums.
  5. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I hope you guys are also posting these comments in the appropriate iPhone forums.
    Actually, I think this is the perfect place for this post. It shows that he gave up the iphone for the 700P.

The shortcomings that Corey is stating about the iphone are some that I've felt alot along about this device. That virtual keyboard is probably the worst part of it. I just can't imagine trying to do anything with it on the go.

Digipimp: The iphone isn't better, it is different. For some people it is better, but for other it isn't. For me, it isn't. I wouldn't want one even if it was a phone available on Verizon and I was offered it for free.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    welcome back to treo world
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    What's interesting about the iPhone is that it runs Mac OS X, a mature and capable OS. Apple's been slow about releasing software apps for it, but in the long run I can only see them adding more. I read a recent story over at Brighthand reporting that Palm's new Linux OS is actually over a year (ie 2009) away from release. So really the only thing Palm's got going for it will be to generate some new, fresh hardware designs. HTC's already caught my attention and the Sprint Touch might just be the device to make this long-time Palm user (Palm III) stray.
    Yeah both phones are fruits but comparing an iphone to a treo/BB/mogul is like apples to oranges. The Iphone is a fun toy. Its rather gimecky like Nintendo Wii (arguably). But it doesnt have the full robustness for us business users. I am curious on how over the next few years if Apple will evolve the Iphone into a business worthy device. But right now the Iphone works great at playing mp3s/aac/itunes and of course doesnt skip because thats what it was built for. Treo's are built for massive contact management, Email as other small extra luxuries.
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
    Quote Originally Posted by DigiPimp View Post
    iphone is better, remember its a first generation device and unlike palm, apple will and does support their product with a steady stream of iphone software updates and new features since the buttons are on the screen instead of the device.
    You mean like the new, updated iTunes that prevents you from using your own ringtones? Or like the ipod software, that is perfectly functional, but was designed in 2001?

Yes, Apple support is better than Palm, but it's not perfect. I will say that the refund to early purchasers of the iphone was a very nice and unusual move by a corporation.
    That is a nasty disease.
    at&t iPhone3G
    You didn't actually state how the iPhone is better in it's current form over the 700p.

Based on what a buddy of mine who has an iPhone, it can't cut/paste, it can't create or edit word docs, it can't send a text message to an email address, it can't beam files, and he's not sure but he doesn't think it can read ebooks.

Outside of the beautiful screen, wifi (which I don't need with an unlimited plan), and the really cool album cover thing, what's better about it?
  12. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I'm glad to read this thread since I'm completely fed up with Palm, and the iPhone seems like the natural step. Both of the former iPhone users here mention how much slower EDGE is than EVDO. I have wondered if that would really be the case in daily use, as Blazer is so amazingly slow, I figured Blazer on EVDO must be slower than Safari on EDGE. Is that really not the case? I have only recently switched to EVDO from 1X, and don't see much real-world difference as Blazer is so slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM View Post
    I'm glad to read this thread since I'm completely fed up with Palm, and the iPhone seems like the natural step. Both of the former iPhone users here mention how much slower EDGE is than EVDO. I have wondered if that would really be the case in daily use, as Blazer is so amazingly slow, I figured Blazer on EVDO must be slower than Safari on EDGE. Is that really not the case? I have only recently switched to EVDO from 1X, and don't see much real-world difference as Blazer is so slow.
    I have had ATT for years and EDGE for TWO. EVDO, blazer or not, blows away EDGE in the last month on my 755P.
  14. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    I highly doubt webpage access time has more to do with the app than the connection. There is a really big difference between bandwidth on EDGE vs EVDO. The lag you are seeing on the smartphone is because of the connection.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  15. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I highly doubt webpage access time has more to do with the app than the connection. There is a really big difference between bandwidth on EDGE vs EVDO. The lag you are seeing on the smartphone is because of the connection.
    Then why do I get 100kbps (if I'm VERY lucky) on the Treo and 400kbps when tethered? Wouldn't that be evidence that the bottleneck is the browser, not the raw speed?
    Then why do I get 100kbps (if I'm VERY lucky) on the Treo and 400kbps when tethered? Wouldn't that be evidence that the bottleneck is the browser, not the raw speed?
    probably because there really isn't a very good quality speed test for mobile phones. Dsl reports but I don't believe that its very accurate. The iphone is only a toy. It barely performs the most basic funtions. Yes the screen is nice having wifi is nice but really in the end it comes down to what you need... I need email that works with EAS, I need to be able to view and make corrections on word docs, VPN, all things the iphone doesn't have. The iphone does music and (even on wifi wasn't impressed) full screen browser. Even google maps is horrrrrrribly slow to the point of just waiting to get to a real computer to search for something. I wasn't even slightly impressed when I checked out a friends 8gb iphone.
    Yes...the media buzz and hype about the iPhone is amazing...especially given that is is a fairly limited closed device that lacks a number of critical applications to even be considered a basic PDA...and includes other basic PDA applications that have significant usability issues. Yes, it's pretty. Sexy even...as is the UI with all of it's spinning widgets...but it does not even come close to a Treo IMHO.

I have used two iPhones fairly extensively...and my Treo 700p whips the pants off of them...and not just because of a physical keyboard. Yes, the standard Palm OS looks bad in the UI department in comparison, but a few replacement applications for the launcher and dialer help somewhat there. Regardless, I pay for and carry the beast to do things...not look pretty...and my Treo is a work (and entertainment) horse.

My friends show me their iPhones and it's slicky spinning widgets and I show them how I can enter a calendar entry in two seconds with one hand...while they struggle through dialogs using two hands to enter an appt. Can you just click on a timeband and start entering text directly on the iPhone? No. You must enter the start and stop times in a dialog using a sexy, but also extremely annoying, spinning wheel. In fact, dialogs and numerous steps to perform a task seem to be the rule rather than an exception on the iPhone. Want to delete multiple email messages at once on an iPhone? Forget it...and this is something that I do ALL of the time on my Treo when I realize that I have already read the messages on my desktop client. Yes, usability, simplicity, and one-hand operation seem to surface as issues consistently while using an iPhone...but back to the basics...

What were the four basic PDA applications on the original Palm? Calendar, Contacts, Notes, and a Task List, which were so important that they were each given a hard button. While email and phone dialer applications may have supplanted their prominence (and place as hard buttons), these applications are still critical to most people. In fact, almost all smart phones (and many standard phones) feature these functions...as does my desktop version of Microsoft Outlook. Now look at the iPhone:

Calendar - usability issues noted above

Contacts - annoying to say the least. You must scroll to your contact or (alternatively) touch a letter that gets you closer. On my Palm, I can just start typing. The contact list then filters my contacts dynamically. Even better, I have TakePhone installed, which is a replacement dialer, contact list overlay, call log, etc...and with that application the contact list filtering can include any field. For me, I use first name, last name, company, and title...so I can find my plumber John Smith of ACME plumbing by typing "joh" or "smi" or "plu" or "acm" on my Treo...and this is how I find people all of the time. Of course, I can also use global find...and the iPhone also lacks that feature.

Notes - I won't get into details other than to say that their notes/memo application does not synch. Yes, that's right, the iPhone does not synch notes with iTunes...so they are not backed up or available on your desktop...nor can you create one on your desktop.

Task List - they don't have one.

Seriously...no global find? I suppose the lack of third-party applications somewhat mitigates that issue (not exactly a complement), but I use global find all of the time. I have hundreds of contacts, hundreds of memos, thousands of appointments (with notes), and a wide range of other file types...and I can get to data with ease with the global find function.

No cut & paste on the iPhone. Once again, the lack of third-party applications somewhat mitigates that issue...but once again, that is not exactly a complement.

I have one friend who tried to show me that he doesn't need the missing applications...because he can use web application versions instead. He then tried to show me a web-based task list that he uses...and then literally spent 5 minutes bringing up the page, logging in, and then surfing (painfully slowly) through several pages to try and enter a single task. I can enter and retrieve tasks in seconds...and Butler's extension of key launcher lets me access this application (as well as 25 others) by simply pressing and holding a button on my keyboard at any time.

So what does the iPhone have? Weather, stocks, google maps, YouTube, and an iPod...and I have all of these functions as well....and MUCH more. Yes, I can (and do) use my Treo for MP3s and movies, but I also watch live TV on SprintTV and MobiTV...and listen to streaming internet radio. I can also create and edit Word and Excel docs. I can record video, send pictures through text messages, have a local IM client (that connects to 6 different IM services), read eBooks, run Java applications, use a scientific calculator, play Sudoku...and perform dozens of other functions that they lack...and there are thousands of other applications and utilities for the OS. Yes, my treo lacks wifi...and I don't really need it. I have 3G with an unlimited data plan...and the spots with available wifi where I spend time are normally the spots where I have a computer. I can also surf on my Treo without tearing my hair out. Yeah, Safari looks cool, but try it on Edddddddddge...and then realize that you are constantly fiddling with the screen (zooming in and out) to read a page...and you will soon miss Blazer's optimized mode. Of course, I also use Opera...because I have a Treo and, hence, freedom of choice.

Memory size? iPhone is 8GB. My Treo is unlimited. Seriously...I have quite a few SD cards (2GB cards are going for $13 on newegg)...and if I am going on a trip, I can load them up with movies, MP3s, Podcasts, word documents, eBooks, whatever...and not worry about how I am going to allocate a precious amount of fixed space.

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE that Apple has come out with the iPhone...because they are putting pressure on the other smartphone manufacturers...and we all will eventually benefit...and yes, perhaps Apple will work out many of the issues that I noted here, but I seriously cannot see how anyone can look at an iPhone and say that it is better than a Treo. Yes, it is sexier...and the 50% larger screen is very nice (at the expense of a usable keyboard)...but sexy is just not good enough for me. I need functional and powerful.

Palm's future may look bleak...no argument...but I am talking about the present...and in the present, my Treo 700p whips an iPhone hands down.

Your mileage may vary.

cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 09/19/2007 at 08:40 AM.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    As a 700p user i agree..the treo has more functions. And probably always will.

Here's where it gets bad though. The screen. (remind me why people upgraded to the 650 over the 600?) All this stuff you do on these gadgets is done through the screen. The iphone wins here.

The web. The iphone wins big here as well. You actually will use this browser. On the Treo, i use it if extremely bored out somewhere, but it's day and night.

Audio. Let's not even talk about which one excels here.

Simplicity. Itunes is limited, but it excels in ease of getting the media on there. For palm, one must convert, drag & drop, etc. Wifi store coming soon to apple.

The iphone is a consumer phone first. The palm is business. Both converge on the other audience a bit though. It really depends on your needs.

But really, the iphone is more than hype and eye candy. I'd love to see a similar browser on the treo and a bigger screen. I still don't miss wifi, but it'd be nice. Update the sync software too..i don't want to convert crap all day anymore. And i wouldn't miss worrying about screen protectors and keeping the screen somewhat clean even if its rough around the edges. With the iphone, a couple of wipes and good as new.

In that same regard, the iphone could benefit from adding 3rd party games, apps, etc. Add 3G to the list and you got something. But you'll never have that treo keyboard..for ease of typing. Myself, i prefer the added real estate for the screen.
    iphone is better
    That depends on what your needs are. For this fellow, the 700P is better.
    Remember how people droned on and on and on about how much more secure OS X was than Windows XP? Well now that there is finally a reason for hackers to take notice of OS X those myths are being quickly quashed. Among the numerous security holes already opened, a hacker can remotely make phone calls on another person's iPhone. Try doing that to PalmOS or Windows Mobile.

BTW, that iTunes update that disabled a person from being able to making his own ringtones is just disgraceful. C'mon $teve "Scrooge" Job$, isn't it enough that a person had already bought the song from iTunes and paid all that $$$ for the iPhone that you don't have to nickel & dime them some more?!? Sheesh! How can you be that shameless?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast