Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/59288.html

When you are known as a techno cutting edge, have it first person, do you ever get tired of people asking you why you don't have an iPhone.

I found this article quite right on. I don't hate iphone, it just doesn't meet my needs, and certainly we can afford it, especially now.
    because its a glorified IPOD with crappy phone service.
    Ooo...ooo... because you can't cut and paste?

Oh wait no, is it because it's on a network that gets zero reception in my apartment?

No, no, I've got it! It's the lack of an actual SDK!
    The iPhone bandwagon lovers made a mistake buying a Treo for a fun toy and now they finally found their fun device. I don't think anybody who actually used the Treo as a smartphone joined this club.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I purchased my first Treo as a convenience toy and it has become a work toy for me. When comparing it to other devices, i.e., those running Windows Mobile, the "newness" is nice, but what do they do that I am not all ready getting? Nothing I have found other than multitasking. I especially do not want to loose the functionality of ChatterEmail.

Ben
    I actually just tried out a Dash for a day Ben, and I have to say - just because an OS is newer doesn't mean it's better.

It took forever to do tasks I can do in two steps on my "old" Treo 650.
    I looked at a friend's Dash and another's Q and they were both satisfied. Thing is, neither use their devices as heavily as I do or in as varied a manner. I had the 700w and did not like it. I have friends with the 700WX that love it and have thought about trying it. I then read and see the problems...My 700p is solid. My 650 is solid though it is beaten up and when it gets replaced, the 700p goes to the wife, the 650 to the kids and I get whatever I get. If I do go with a WinMo device, it will be a WM6 and that means not a Palm and ONE HANDED operation is a must for me, so you can see I am just not moving very fast. A 755P may be the next purchase in a couple of months or so.

Ben
    Two biggest reasons for me... 1) Not on sprint (my deal is too good and free evdo!) 2) No third party utils like PalmVNC.
  9. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Two biggest reasons for me... 1) Not on sprint (my deal is too good and free evdo!) 2) No third party utils like PalmVNC.
    If you're talking about the iPhone, I believe a VNC client did come out today or yesterday. I don't know much about how well it works, as I don't have one.
    SERO plan and GetGood
    Same with me, its not on Sprint. My 755P will hold me until either a new treo comes out or the iPhone does.
    Because it does not have a keyboard... a virtual keyboard is difficult to use when you are not looking at it, i have been able to type on the treo without even looking at it.
    d
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM View Post
    If you're talking about the iPhone, I believe a VNC client did come out today or yesterday. I don't know much about how well it works, as I don't have one.
    I stand corrected. I haven't really looked into it, but regardless of it having the "ability" to use VNC, it still doesn't seem like it would be functionally useful without a stylus?
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    That is the best explanation of why I don't have an iPhone I've seen. Like he says. I'll get one when I don't have to give anything up I have on my Treo 755P.

Or better yet, hopefully Hawk and company will have a nice Christmas present for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I dont have an iPHone I dont like it my self but the VNC could be done on the iphone i believe. I use ultra vnc and they have a web-based server that you can use browser to browse your pc.

My reasons:
    Cingular sucks and expensive then sprint
    No SDK
    No third party apps. I love my treo for the million of apps
    Internet is too slow on iphone.
    **NO A2DP big one for me. I use my wireless s9 bluetooth headphones while working out and listening to ptunes.

Roman
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    No pdfs can be stored on it. Just what am I supposed to read when I am stuck somewhere?

Slow internet.

No built in gps.

It's a nice device but way too limited to be of use yet. Maybe in a generation or so?
  17. ajg
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I just spent a very solid week dueling it out between my 755p and an iPhone. I am the typical business user but also have my share of apps. The shortcomins that caused me to give it up (for now):

1) No way to manage SMS mail. Can only delete one at a time, etc.

2) It lacks the capability to find a contact by spelling. Finding a contact is a very linear process....lots of scrolling.

3) The lack of cut and paste for email work is beyond a bummer.

4) For viewing the web, it lacks an autosizing capability that maximizes the print size relative to the screen orientation. The finger exercise of increasing or decreasing the size of the picture does become more than tiresome after a brief while. Definatley, auto text wrapping a la the Treo would be welcome.

5) We all agree that the lack of search function is a draw back.

6) On Demand -- I must admit that the On Demand app for looking up telephone numbers is a great solution. Sure, you can look up anything with Google, but OnDemand makes it very easy to get the contact information inserted as a record for future referral.

7) I agree with others -- too many clicks to get around. But, hackers are already coming up with apps that get you where you want to go much more quickly.

8) Even coming from Evdo, I thought the speed of the Internet was fine (when truly on the data network; not on wifi). But just dropping a call once in an area where Sprint is rock solid, reminded me why I went back to Sprint 6 years ago.

9) ActiveSync -- I just like it way to much; and am not willing to settle for work arounds (although, I came very, very close several times before boxing up my iPhone).

The iPhone is so close. Even with the lower quality network and slower data speeds, if they addressed everything else (including syncing of tasks and notes, etc., I will be right back at the Apple store picking one up.
    I tried the iPhone and couldn't get work done. It was fun to play with and I liked the interface. Apple gave me a full refund for mine. Then I bought the 755p. Love it!
    c a r l n u n e s
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > iPhone( ) > Treo 755p
    WATCH THIS BEFORE POSTING
    Being a heavy user of my 755p I looked very hard at the iPhone and I came up with my list of why I would not by the current version.

1. No tethering to a HIGH SPEED network. 2G is a dog compared to what I have now and I use my phone as a modem several times a month. (The expensive hotels clip you for $10/day for wi-fi while the cheap ones, it's free).
    2. No replaceable battery. I use my iPod(s) constantly and I sure don't want to drain my battery for my phone watching movies. I bought an iPod Touch instead.
    3. No cut and paste. Are you freakin' kidding me on this?
    4. I too, use several third party apps but jaibreaking and now the SDK coming in Feb. may change that.
    5. The search problem will likely be fixed in a future firmware update but until then, the Treo is way easier.
    i really don't understand the point of paying around $500 for a phone on a crappy network...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast