Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I was looking at the Telenav service but notice that while it does work on a Treo 680, the carrier is only for AT&T. I use T-Mobile, which is also listed as a providing Telenav carrier, but only with Blackberries. When I contacted Telenav's customer support, they didn't seem to understand I did not "unlock" my Treo 680, but purchased it that way. They were not sure if it would work or not.

So ... does anyone know if it is possible to use the Palm Treo 680 version of Telenav application on the T-Mobile network?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I was looking at the Telenav service but notice that while it does work on a Treo 680, the carrier is only for AT&T. I use T-Mobile, which is also listed as a providing Telenav carrier, but only with Blackberries. When I contacted Telenav's customer support, they didn't seem to understand I did not "unlock" my Treo 680, but purchased it that way. They were not sure if it would work or not.

So ... does anyone know if it is possible to use the Palm Treo 680 version of Telenav application on the T-Mobile network?
    It's just data, it'll work if it supports proxy's.. If you use the cheap T-Mobile data plan, you have to use a proxy. If you use the real data plan or Telenav can use a proxy, no problem.

BTW, you get a much better deal out of TomTom for the year of service IMO.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Thanks, Khaytsus. I just got one of those tiny Freedom Mini USB receivers. I tried it with my old Mapopolis maps and it worked like a charm, but since Mapopolis is no longer in business, I was trying to find a replacement for maps. The telenav looked like a good deal because you could just use it here and there when needed, since I only take trips a couple of times a year. Apparently it will not work with unlocked Treos not on AT&T. Bummer. I was trying to find maps for under $100.
    I have an unlocked 680 and use it with Telenav. Their host software should not know what phone you have. Just load the 5.0 app on your 680 and sign it up as a BB on your T-mobile plan.

Telenav CS just recites their standard policies which is pretty narrow.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I have an unlocked 680 and use it with Telenav. Their host software should not know what phone you have. Just load the 5.0 app on your 680 and sign it up as a BB on your T-mobile plan.

Telenav CS just recites their standard policies which is pretty narrow.
    Great news! However, I don't see how to get the "5.0" software. On their site they have a Palm version that makes you pick the AT&T carrier, or a Blackberry version that works with T-Mobile. Would I choose the Palm/AT&T version and it just works on T-Mobile as a "blackberry" plan?
    Great news! However, I don't see how to get the "5.0" software. On their site they have a Palm version that makes you pick the AT&T carrier, or a Blackberry version that works with T-Mobile. Would I choose the Palm/AT&T version and it just works on T-Mobile as a "blackberry" plan?
    hi..new here.
    my query and situation mirrors yours. my unlocked 680 ( proprietary to att ) already has the telenav app pre installed, and i have d'loaded the additional software onto the device..but again, as in your scenario..the telenav site doesn't seem to provide for my device, in spite of the "pre loaded" ( by att ) software on my phone. ( genius )..

i have NOT signed up for the telenav service as a result, and would like to..and already have a data plan thru my carrier ( tmobile..)

my question: have you had any success or are you farther along in this than i am? and.. should i just sign up for the telenav so i have the 4 digit "pin" needed to login..AND..will it work with my data plan and phone on the tmobile network ( whew )..
    any info is greatly appreciated.
    This link will get you version 5.0 of Telenav for Palm OS
    http://ota.telenav.com/ota/tn/treo75...v_Treo755p.prc
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    This link will get you version 5.0 of Telenav for Palm OS
    http://ota.telenav.com/ota/tn/treo75...v_Treo755p.prc
    forgive me for being "thick"..not very tech savvy at all..but..

is this all you need to have the telenav work on your 680?? as the 5.0 download indicates its for the 755p?? ..

and when i got telenav tech support on the phone yesterday ( no small feat..) the told me in no uncertain terms that their software did NOT ( at this time ) support "unlocked" gsm 680"s..

do they even know what they are talking about, given your success?..

would you reccomend that i download the 5.0 update onto my 680 and just sign up on telenav and hope it works??

any further info is greatly appreciated....
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kdata View Post
    forgive me for being "thick"..not very tech savvy at all..but..

is this all you need to have the telenav work on your 680?? as the 5.0 download indicates its for the 755p?? ..

and when i got telenav tech support on the phone yesterday ( no small feat..) the told me in no uncertain terms that their software did NOT ( at this time ) support "unlocked" gsm 680"s..

do they even know what they are talking about, given your success?..

would you reccomend that i download the 5.0 update onto my 680 and just sign up on telenav and hope it works??

any further info is greatly appreciated....
    TN does not support it. Just load the 755p software on ur 680 and you should be good to go. Their system does not care whether you are using a certain phone or SW release.

I have a custom ROM on my unlocked AT&T 680. TN 5.0 works wonderfully.

I suggest getting the 4.x version running 1st to make sure you account is working properly then upgrade the phone to 5.x. You can see some of my posts on this topic here and on the Telenav forums.
    Last edited by swieder; 10/11/2007 at 04:31 PM.
    i have read many of your posts on the topic, which have been very informative. i have d'loaded the initial ota software and will signup and give it a whirl, and report back. thanks again, for the info!

somewhat tangentially, i too have upgraded from my trusty four year old 600, and this 680 is an amazing little piece of gear..

was the first on my block to have the old samsung 1300..which other than its bulk, was unbelieveable for its time. it even had "word complete" or whatever that intuitive self-updating software was that the newer palm OS doesn't? seem to have..sure do miss that for on the run emails etc..but.. if i get this telenav up and running. that will be great..

again..thx.

Add:..

just went to the telenav site....it indicates that the blackberry ( which i don't have, but which i am indicating i do, so i can at least sign up ) has a built in gps receiver!..

apparently i need blutooth equipment for this to work??

obviously bluetooth is configured on my 680..but..i do NOT use the b'tooth wireless headset features. do you..or as far as you know..

"'must" i have a bluetooth headset for this to work..OR just a bluetooth enabled device, eg my 680??

again..any info is appreciated! ( ironically, telenav doen't even seem to be able to answer these questions, which i find astonishing! )

thx again....
    Last edited by 2kdata; 10/11/2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: further query
    i have read many of your posts on the topic, which have been very informative. i have d'loaded the initial ota software and will signup and give it a whirl, and report back. thanks again, for the info!

somewhat tangentially, i too have upgraded from my trusty four year old 600, and this 680 is an amazing little piece of gear..

was the first on my block to have the old samsung 1300..which other than its bulk, was unbelieveable for its time. it even had "word complete" or whatever that intuitive self-updating software was that the newer palm OS doesn't? seem to have..sure do miss that for on the run emails etc..but.. if i get this telenav up and running. that will be great..

again..thx.

Add:..

just went to the telenav site....it indicates that the blackberry ( which i don't have, but which i am indicating i do, so i can at least sign up ) has a built in gps receiver!..

apparently i need blutooth equipment for this to work??

obviously bluetooth is configured on my 680..but..i do NOT use the b'tooth wireless headset features. do you..or as far as you know..

"'must" i have a bluetooth headset for this to work..OR just a bluetooth enabled device, eg my 680??

again..any info is appreciated! ( ironically, telenav doen't even seem to be able to answer these questions, which i find astonishing! )

thx again....
    Treo has no GPS so obviously you need a GPS. Bluetooth or serial. I suggest bluetooth, you can get 'em for $60-$70
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Treo has no GPS so obviously you need a GPS. Bluetooth or serial. I suggest bluetooth, you can get 'em for $60-$70
    thx, appreciated. was hoping to avoid looking like a trekkie with that thing in my ear.., but that seems to be the only solution. thx.

great forum, and help. thanks all.
    thx, appreciated. was hoping to avoid looking like a trekkie with that thing in my ear.., but that seems to be the only solution. thx.

great forum, and help. thanks all.
    You dont want a BT headset, but a BT GPS receiver. Its a small box that picks up the satellite signals and sends them to your Treo via BT.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Agree. Recommend the Holux 236. $50-.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Well, I'm happy to report I have TeleNav working on my Treo 680/T-Mobile combination. Thanks for the advice (and the link). I got one of those tiny keychain-sized gps receivers and the combination is perfect. I am also pleased to report that my speaker, which is lousy for phone calls, is loud and clear for the TeleNav voice directions. I don't have it full volume and even with the radio on I have no problem understanding the voice instructions. I used to use Mapopolis and sometimes they would prompt me too soon for a turn and then I would have to get back on track. With the TeleNav, it seems more reliable.

Too bad TeleNav Support has no clue how their product works with other phone/provider combos. They told me emphatically it would NOT work ... so wrong!
    .....I got one of those tiny keychain-sized gps receivers and the combination is perfect..........
    Can you be more specific? Mine is match-box size.

Incidentally, Mapopolis had really great support. As a Tomtom user, I miss them.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Can you be more specific? Mine is match-box size.
    Sorry about that ... It's a Freedom Mini GPS Receiver and it's about the size of a match-box, too. It doesn't come with any software, but I was able to use it with my original Mapopolis Navigator until I discovered TeleNav. I particularly like the fact I can have it on my keychain and not have to worry about placing it directly in the window to make it work. It's very fast, too, at startup when compared to my former RadioShack gps device.