1.    #1  
    The only items I really need to transfer over to the new phone is my contacts list. How can I be sure that this is done?

Thank you.
    Making a clean transition from 650 to 755 is not that difficult.

1: Perform final hotsync of 650

2: Rename your backup folder to something like "backup_old" or "backup_date" with date being the date you did this. The backup folder can be found under PROGRAM FILES>PALM [OR HANDSPRING]>USERNAME with username being your hotsync name. Doing this is VERY VERY important, as it will prevent 650 specific files from being copied over to your 755 during hotsync, but IT WILL allows all default apps such as contacts, datebook, task and memos to be transfered over.

3: Hotsync your 755p and when prompted select your hotsync name

4: Manually reinstall all your needed 3rd party apps
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  3.    #3  
    So then it appears that I do not need to install a new Palm Desktop program that comes with the new phone? Has the program been updated since the 650p?
    No, you should not have to. I didnt need to when I moved from 650 to 700p and I had no problems at all.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    I would install the desktop for the 755p right over the old version.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    This is good to know because in 2 years when verizon releases the 755p for around 600.00 with a four year contract I will know how to transfer stuff over from my 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    I would install the desktop for the 755p right over the old version.

This is the correct advise. Just do this before you hotsync the 755. Then when you do hotsync all the information that you had on the 650 that's compatable (such as contacts & calendar) will switch over and the others will go into a new folder called incompatable. You can just beam over your contacts too. But, do install the new software.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    This is the correct advise. Just do this before you hotsync the 755. Then when you do hotsync all the information that you had on the 650 that's compatable (such as contacts & calendar) will switch over and the others will go into a new folder called incompatable. You can just beam over your contacts too. But, do install the new software.
    Agreeeed
    Well, I'll be doing this in a couple of days, but not for myself- for my wife. Her 650 was replaced a few weeks ago with a refurb 650. Worked well for a couple weeks then started dying. Took it to the sprint techs yesterday, they claimed they fixed it, but on the way home it totally stopped working (black screen of death, even with battery removal and all that jazz). Took it back today, of course they managed to get it going, the tech's advice was "Dont install any 3rd party software". Seriously. The only thing they would do since the phone was working at the time is order a refurb 700p. Also said if the phone stopped working between now and when the 700 came in we were out of luck.

So when I got home I called retentions, was real polite, expressed my frustration with what had gone on, combined with the fact that my wife needs her phone for her business, and also expressed the desire to stay with sprint due to their great data plans, so he gave me a 755p for 149, plus dropped our data plan down to 10/month from 15. So I couldnt pass that up. Plus he's overnighting it.

So the wifey will have a red 755p, and my 650 is still like a rock. Will be interesting to run the 2 side-by-side.
    Vinnie
    Anyone know if all your txt messages will transfer from a 650 to a 755? I am needing to keep them because of some legal issues and if they will port I may just upgrade because I have had my 650 since they came out, and it is starting to get dated.
    Yep John, All of my text messages synced over from my 650 onto my 755p when I synced. I believe you might have to sync without adding the new software. That's what I did and all of my thousands of texts from way back in 2005 are now on my 755p. So I don't know if it would work after installing the new 755p software but I'm gonna try that later today since I really don't need all of my old chats on here. Hope that helps. Blessings, JennyRoseanne
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyroseanne View Post
    Yep John, All of my text messages synced over from my 650 onto my 755p when I synced. I believe you might have to sync without adding the new software. That's what I did and all of my thousands of texts from way back in 2005 are now on my 755p.
    I believe your Treo was not a Verizon 650.

Verizon Treo 650 (some old versions) ships with the Messaging application that was bundled with Handspring Treo 600's. That Messaging application does not shares the same messages database structure of the new Treo 650 generation (and 680, 700p, 755p too). In that case, syncing the messages database into the new device, will not migrate the text messages.

To check whether your Treo is a "new generation" Treo 650, inside your Treo's Messaging application, press the Menu button, then go to Options -> About. If the version is Messaging v.2.0 or higher, your Treo is compatible with any new PalmOS Treo, and you can migrate your messages by simply syncing the Messages_Database to the new device.

Otherwise, you have first to run a freeware application (that I will release in a few weeks) to convert the old messages database into the new format.

Bruno Naglieri - Rome (Italy)
    www.treodesktop.com
    Treodesktop developer
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    OK, so should I install the new palm desktop over the old one BEFORE I hotsync the 755p or AFTER? If I install it before I hotsync will it erase the folder I previously renamed? Will it still prompt me for my username??

Thanks, jfire
    Install the new palm desktop before your first 755p hotsync, it will not erase old folders (it just updates the program) and it will put the new 755p conduits.

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Hate to hijack this thread, but have a similiar question but with a variation: I have a new computer, and want to hot sync to same old 650p (am waiting for 755 or pls centro on vzw). I am afraid that contacts from outlook will either double up or delete, same with other apps that I have not yet re installed on new computer, such as password manager etc. How can I make sure it just gets the new stuff and doesn't delete or double the data?
    Thanks,Scott