1.    #1  
    Now that the Seido battery is available for the 680 and perhaps a few bugs have been worked out, I'm tempted to give the 680 another try. Before jumping in with both feet, I would like to ask all or any of you to weigh in on whether or not it's best to wait a bit? Does anyone think a new Treo is on the way for AT&T/Cingular? Does anyone have their finger on "the pulse" of Palm and what may be coming down the pipeline?

Thanks in advance!
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    I went thru the same debate about a month ago. I got my 680 for $50 after a $100 rebate and a new 2 year contract. I than sold my used unlocked 650 on Ebay for $150. So I made $100 on the deal and have been VERY happy with the 680.

I did spend over $100 on new accessories to go with the 680 like a case, 8GB SD card and new SW to go with all the extra memory (grin).
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I would not hold your breath waiting for palm to announce or leak info, what else are you looking at, I think a 16gb iphone will be out before the next 680 model. my 680 has been 99% rock solid. I recently did the at&t update so we shall see.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for your responses. I'm not looking at anything else right now. I have an iPhone and really love it, but I do miss some functionality I enjoy with the Treo (still have my 650 which I use as a PDA), and I've made a considerable investment in Palm software over the years. I'm hoping to use my iPhone as a "play" phone and web-browsing device, and perhaps use a 680 (or something new from Palm?? Linux-based??? Helloooo?!? Palm??!) as more of a daily work-horse phone.

Maybe I'll throw a new 680 and my iPhone into my "quantum time-space modulating combiner" gizmo and merge the two devices
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Are you Mac based, I thought the iphone was the holy grail, what does the 650 do better?
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm97 View Post
    Are you Mac based, I thought the iphone was the holy grail, what does the 650 do better?
    Huh? the iPhone does almost nothing that the 650 and 680 do.
  7.    #7  
    I'm Mac-based.

The iPhone has basic PIM functionality and, of course, it's a fantastic web browsing device. It's iPod capability is exceptional as well ("coverflow"). It also has visual voicemail, which is a great touch.

However, there are no 3rd party apps, so many things I have used a Palm for are not available on iPhone. Even so, it's been one of the best phones I've owned and I love it's features, but it can't do many of the things a Palm can do due to lack of 3rd party or native functions that are lacking.
    I spent about 6 months with a Treo 680 earlier this year. While using it, I was happy with it, but it always felt like a cheap toy. In hindsight, I had settled for something that wasn't what I really wanted/needed.

About 3 months ago I bought an HTC TyTN which truly is everything I need. I had planned on keeping my 680 as a backup phone, however after a few days of using my TyTN I realized I would never pickup the 680 again.

Moral of my post......never settle for something unless it's exactly what you want. Don't go just on the advice of others, or the market "hype". I jumped on the Treo bandwagon because I thought I was missing something that only a Treo could provide......I was wrong.

Don't interpret this post as one to bash Palm.......but as for whether or not the OP should "hold his breath"....don't bother. Find a device (be it a Treo or something else) that you want/need/can use NOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khris View Post
    Moral of my post......never settle for something unless it's exactly what you want. Don't go just on the advice of others, or the market "hype".
    Great advice... Found a local AT&T store last night that had actual working phones (vice the crappy ones with stickers on the screen), and I convinced my wife to go in so I could look. Got my hands on every phone I was curious about (Blackjack, Treo 680, Treo 750, AT&T 8525 - No blackberry because my wife has one and I know I don't like the OS), and it made me realize that I still love the Treo form factor. Even the incremental changes are nice for me. Hell, I'm still using a 650! Afterwards, my wife and I talked about it - and we're giving Palm 1 year to see if they ever come out with the new Linux phone. If not, Treo 680 or 750 if I decide to switch to WM.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    I'm Mac-based.

The iPhone has basic PIM functionality and, of course, it's a fantastic web browsing device. It's iPod capability is exceptional as well ("coverflow"). It also has visual voicemail, which is a great touch.

However, there are no 3rd party apps, so many things I have used a Palm for are not available on iPhone. Even so, it's been one of the best phones I've owned and I love it's features, but it can't do many of the things a Palm can do due to lack of 3rd party or native functions that are lacking.
    I just got rid of my iPhone and went to a Treo...I'd had a Treo a few years ago, then went to a Blackberry, and am now back to Treo. I loved the "idea" of the iPhone, but after a month or two I began to really miss the MMS, cut and paste, office functionality, and the lack of searchable contacts...my friends think I'm nuts for getting rid of it, but it wasn't the right phone for me...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
    I just got rid of my iPhone and went to a Treo...I'd had a Treo a few years ago, then went to a Blackberry, and am now back to Treo. I loved the "idea" of the iPhone, but after a month or two I began to really miss the MMS, cut and paste, office functionality, and the lack of searchable contacts...my friends think I'm nuts for getting rid of it, but it wasn't the right phone for me...
    Sounds like a familiar feeling, Oliegirl I'll probably just hang on to my iPhone because it does have some great features, but just for fun, I popped out the SIM card and tried it in my 650 for a while and it seemed to work fine. I'm calling AT&T now to see what kind of price they can give me for a 680 upgrade. I REALLY wish I could merge the two devices, but maybe the next best thing will be to alternate phones based on what my needs are --- 680 for business and using those hard-to-live-without Palm apps, and the iPhone for more of a "weekend" and web-surfing phone.
    MHO. Get the 680 now if you really want a Palm. I have one and it's a nice little phone with some shortcomings (cheeze camera, somewhat unstable, small screen, weak battery). Why do I say this? Because Palm no longer does "Next Big Things". They stopped doing that in 2003, when they released the Tungsten C in the Spring and the Tungsten T3 in the fall. Since then it's been "The Next Sideways Thing", even if looking through rose colored glasses.

The next big things are Foleo (cancelled), Plinux on Foleo (cancelled), Treo 500 (European WMstd Treo 750 refresh), and the mighty Centro (postage stamp display, keyboard fit for a 6 yr old, and fat as ever). PIC reports today that Colligen now states that Plinux on Treos is 12-18 months away.

http://tinyurl.com/yts9yq

Get the 680, use it well, embalm it in a polyurethane block, and use it as a paperweight when it dies. The party is over at Palm. Innovation there is not possibly weak. It's a certainty with facts to prove it.
    Last edited by LiveFaith; 09/14/2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: :-)
    Patrick Horne
    I have looked at the Sprint Mogul and with a Linux based Treo on the horizon, though 2 years off, I am looking toward the 755P. One handed operation is what I am wanting.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    PIC reports today that Colligen now states that Plinux on Treos is 12-18 months away.

http://tinyurl.com/yts9yq
    If you read the original source article, the months quote is not attributed to a specific individual.
    iPhone, schmiPhone. With all it's bravado and bluster, the iPhone looks nice, but it can't do 1/3 what the Treo can especially if you decide to mod the ROM.(lessee. 8 gb memory cards, removable iPhone content without having to sell your soul to Steve Jobs)

The only down side to the 680 IS the camera. After that, the iPhone is just a 500 dollar(changed now I guess) "mug me" device. Palm may not have the best things on the Treo right now, but with other software from others(opera mini for the browser is very sweet) you can have it all.
    Handhelds
    Zire 31-> Zire 72s-> T|X

Phones:
    Nokia 5160-> Nokia 3100-> Nokia 3220-> Treo 650 Unlocked(modded ROM)-> Treo 680 Unlocked(modded ROM #8 within 15 minutes of receiving the box)-> Treo Pro(hacked as well)
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Im really pissed that the new Linux based Treo's won't be out for another 12-18 months!!!!

I mean, yes I did not plan on replacing my Treo 680 for 2 years because of my savings for a car, but I would like to actually have the urge to do so!

WIFI, 3g (gsm side), more memory, 2.0+ MP cameras, thinner... IS THIS REALLY THAT HARD!?
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+