Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Just found this patch from chinese site I check once in awhile ... has anyone tried this or know of it? They got it from Palm - Singapore

    http://www.palm.com/sg/support/downl...smsupdate.html

    EDIT: Just installed it ... let's see what happens.
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 09/12/2007 at 04:51 AM.
  2. #2  
    Thanks for the link. I've just installed it as well.
  3. simba's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    #3  
    What does this updater do? I just read over the Singapore page and can't seem to find an explanation.

    Any difference once you've installed?

    Thanks.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
  4. #4  
    There are different rules for some SMS features there and that is what this update addresses, it has nada to do with any other Treos, else it would have been released for them.

    (I know folks want an update, but really, only use the ones santioned for your respective device, you risk ur devices otherwise)
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  5. #5  
    Well, that respondent's signature says they have a Crimson TMO 680. This update would probably not be for the firmware installed on that device, and both the notes for the update say so as well as the installer actually checks before applying the patch. The update is *only* intended for 1.04-ROW or 1.05-APR ROM revisions -- if you have any other code, then this update isn't for you. It's fully documented on the web page.

    As to what it does, all it says is that it "improves SMS message handling for certain message types." This could well mean that it resolves some restarts based on reception or sending of SMS. But it doesn't clarify which types of messages or what problems occur now in those cases. But fixes are fixes. And as long as the update applies to your device, I'd suggest installing it.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Well, that respondent's signature says they have a Crimson TMO 680. This update would probably not be for the firmware installed on that device, and both the notes for the update say so as well as the installer actually checks before applying the patch. The update is *only* intended for 1.04-ROW or 1.05-APR ROM revisions -- if you have any other code, then this update isn't for you. It's fully documented on the web page.

    As to what it does, all it says is that it "improves SMS message handling for certain message types." This could well mean that it resolves some restarts based on reception or sending of SMS. But it doesn't clarify which types of messages or what problems occur now in those cases. But fixes are fixes. And as long as the update applies to your device, I'd suggest installing it.
    I don't have the site data off hand, but look up SMS rules for Singapore, you will notice that certain types of SMS messages have to be supported on a mobile in a particular way. Its not a fix in the sense that there's a leak that only APR firmware has and this fixes, it. This is region specific. So why risk your device (even on something small like this that might not do anything) on something just to get the enjoyment of an update. That's more a sign of unfulfillment than anything else.

    I have a good reason to believe that 680 firmware updates have been under testing for sometime. When they come, they do. Till then, deal with what you have, or move to something else and battle with similar update concerns then.

    EDIT: off of memory, I think it was Singapore PUG that had note of this a while back and stated what was fixed. Not sure, but that hit me right before i left this thread.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    ... Its not a fix in the sense that there's a leak that only APR firmware has and this fixes, it. This is region specific. So why risk your device (even on something small like this that might not do anything) on something just to get the enjoyment of an update. ...
    Um, careful. While the functionality of the update may be specific to Singapore, it is *NOT* specific to APR. It is also supported by ROW, as indicated in the page. Now, maybe you won't see a change in behavior with ROW unless you're roaming in Singapore... but it is supported on that ROM code.

    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    I have a good reason to believe that 680 firmware updates have been under testing for sometime. When they come, they do. Till then, deal with what you have, or move to something else and battle with similar update concerns then.
    Well, I'm someone who was applying leaked code from China on his 650 back in the day when Palm said nothing of upcoming updates, even for ROW. Oh wait, they still don't. *sigh* So I know firsthand that sometimes we benefit from updates overseas -- as long as they are supported on our firmware and ROM versions -- before the U.S. finishes "testing" (in quotes because 700 owners will wonder at how Palm does firmware/ROM upgrade testing).

    I have no faith the 680 will see another major firmware/ROM round anytime soon. And if Palm chooses not to communicate the same, that's not my problem. Personally, I consider applying such patches as living with what I have for now... After all, as I said before, if I think there's even a chance the patch will improve behavior at all then it gets applied. It's not like the next ROW update will undergo significantly more testing anyway.
  8. tck
    tck is offline
    tck's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #8  
    Here is the reason why residents of Singapore require this update.

    Taken from here : http://www.spug.sg/forums/showthread.php?t=87574
    "i think i may have an idea of why the singapore update is needed. I just bought my 680 on Friday and for some reason today, i am not able to receive my One-time PIN (OTP) via sms from Citibank for my online banking. U know that there is signal coming in to the phone coz of the eletronic disturbance sound but yet my sms don't reflect anything. I called both M1 and Citibank helpdesk but they said their systems are normal. I switched my M1 sim card over to another phone and immediately i get a response for the OTP. Thus the sim card is working too. I almost went crazy coz i tried everything from tweaking preferences of applications to soft/warm/hard reset and yet i still don't see the sms from Citibank.

    It is only when i installed the Singapore update that i am able to receive the sms from Citibank. I tried it with all my other online accounts and it works well. Maybe the update is to rectify this sms handling problem? If that is the case, i think all those who are using their treo 680 to receive their internet banking pin should install the update.

    I am not sure if it slows down the system, it seems the same before and after the update though.

    Hope it helps others who are bewildered with similar problem like mine.
    "
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    I have no faith the 680 will see another major firmware/ROM round anytime soon. And if Palm chooses not to communicate the same, that's not my problem. Personally, I consider applying such patches as living with what I have for now... After all, as I said before, if I think there's even a chance the patch will improve behavior at all then it gets applied. It's not like the next ROW update will undergo significantly more testing anyway.
    From what I've heard, it is undergoing carrier testing now. As for time to release, I didn't ask, that's the nature of the relationship.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  10. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    #10  
    What version did this update your sms too? Mine is now "Messaging v2.6.1" I have an ROW Crimson 680 with a TMO sim. I have had some odd sms errors where the Treo can't find the smsc, we'll see if this helps.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  11. #11  
    Mine is an unbranded 680 (graphite), and yes it did upgrade my messaging app to 2.6.1.

    The only odd behavior with SMS I can report from before is that I would sometimes get responses from the "network" that a number was invalid, but it actually would transmit the message. Other than it was meant to address issues with receiving certain service messages from banking institutions, the postings so far haven't really indicated (as far as I tell anyway) what the symptom was prior to this patch.

    So, I can't be certain that this will "fix" anything, but it's newer code than what we had and I'm all for that.
  12. #12  
    Hi

    I am new to this forum. I have a TRE 680 since March this year. The problem that i had with SMS was that I could never get SMS alerts from my Bank, though thsi was never a problem with my Nokia phone using the same SIM card.
    After installing the recent SMS updater I am now able to recieve the SMS alerts from my Bank. I suppsoe thsi was the message types that have been rectified in thsi update
  13.    #13  
    So far nothing bad has happen to me with the SMS update.
  14. fnds's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    #14  
    I use SMS and MMS quite a bit. Most messages are work related and come as email to phonenumber@tmomail.net, at about 300 messages per week. My phone is an unlocked Treo 680 with T-Mobile service and 1.04-ROW software.

    T-Mobile automatically converts long SMS into MMS. SMS works fine but messages converted to MMS are hit or miss, with "Message download failed" errors. I installed the update and will hope it will improve things even though its main purpose is fixing SMS issues in Asia.

    <off topic>
    I'm actually hunting for software to replace the Messages application. I need to be able to manage messages better, like a mail client, selecting them for delete in batches, etc. The purge feature just doesn't cut it. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    </off topic>

    Thanks.

    --FNdS
  15. tck
    tck is offline
    tck's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #15  
    Have not tried any of these myself :
    MaxText (http://www.maxtext.com/)
    FunSMS
    Dial! (http://www.chiliholger.de/palm/dial/download.php)

Posting Permissions