Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I will close this thread if need be. Please stop the personal attacks
  2. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    But you ppl "claiming" reset w/o appz yet you assume I use it ONLY for a phone now < edited by septimus >. I'm sorry but I dont believe any of you guys. I come here and even see your signatures with the appz you have loaded on your phone, so dont come here crying about resets when you've already hozed the machine then you think removing the appz will help.

All I suggested was STOP loading STUPID UNECESSARY appz on your device and maybe, just MAYBE you'll see little to no resets.... < edited by septimus >!
    As previously stated, the 700P MR issues are well documented and confirmed by many. Again, these issues have nothing to do what so ever with installed third party applications. There is no reason to get so upset because people are posting their issues here. That is what this board is for. If people don't voice the problems they are having, then they likely won't get fixed. Verizon knows about the data connectivity issues because people are calling them and bringing it to their attention.

Reseting is a common behavior across several Treo models running the Palm OS. It is part of being a Palm owner, regardless of the Treo model.

Count yourself lucky that you are not seeing these issues.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    As previously stated, the 700P MR issues are well documented and confirmed by many. Again, these issues have nothing to do what so ever with installed third party applications. There is no reason to get so upset because people are posting their issues here. That is what this board is for. If people don't voice the problems they are having, then they likely won't get fixed. Verizon knows about the data connectivity issues because people are calling them and bringing it to their attention.

Reseting is a common behavior across several Treo models running the Palm OS. It is part of being a Palm owner, regardless of the Treo model.

Count yourself lucky that you are not seeing these issues.

With all things being equal "EVERYONE' with Treo 700P for both Verizon and Sprint should have issues to the point that they should recall the device, but they havnt and why is that? Because not everyone is having issues, and why is that? If it's the OS that's the issue then everyone should be effected, if it's HW, then everyone should be effected. So if not everyone is effected then it boils down to the USER!
    Your missing the most important factor....The towers..If you bring your Treo to my neck of the woods, you would have data problems immediately. If the Treo didn't need/use Cell towers then your hardware/software argument might have merit. From the research I have done this is the most likely cause for the Data connection issues. I found this on Treo|Central a while ago.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=151514

I am replying directly to this because I fully understand your frustration and confusion.

Here are the technical facts so that you fully understand the issue.

Verizon advanced device software updates actually undergo a very exacting and thorough testing process.

However, we are dealing with both a Pentium class computer (the Intel Bulverde 312MHz processor inside the Treo is the exact processing power equivalent of a Pentium II PC running Windows 98, but without the 250 Watt power supply) and a full dual-band digital cellular CDMA 3G phone.

In the testing process, we tried to incorporate a new network security authentication method mandated by Qualcomm specifications for EVDO networks.

That process is controlled by radio firmware and the network randomly challenges the device for an encrypted firmware value. If the response is not accurate, the device has to shut down the radio for a 60 second interval and later it works again. Unfortunately, as we implemented this new industry required feature (others have not because a full software update is required) we discovered that the Qualcomm chipset programming occasionally would fail that authentication because of a firmware value no one was previously aware of.

We have immediately approached this as an Emergency engineering effort to fix as soon as we received customer reports of the issue.

We have already developed a complete fix and we are now network testing with Verizon to release. We are pushing the schedule as hard as we can for release mid next week at best and September 11 in a worst case scenario. We will re-post the updaters as a Revision B update. Devices that were updated already can re-run the update which will complete in 20-30 seconds without deleting any user data or configurations. Devices that did not previously run the update will go through the full update process and also fix the problem firmware setting at the same time.

In retrospective, the issue was so technically complex and obscure that we could not have done anything better to fix it in advance.

During testing, the data disconnect did not occur at all and it only occurs on a very small percentage of devices, randomly a varied locations within the huge Verizon Wireless network footprint.

As soon as the revised update is posted I will communicate itís availability to you all.

I apologize for the inconvenience and ask for your patience as we rectify the situation.

Grant
    Grant that has to be the greatest first post in the history of internet forums. Thanks. (No sarcasm intended). That makes a LOT of sense. I got a 700p with the 1.10 update from Asurion (after a drop and broken screen) in mid July. That one and the succeeding 2 from verizon had constant error 3000s and freezeups with no network connection all over the state of Virginia, in 1x and EVDO areas; EXCEPT in a rural, southside (on the border of North Carolina) county with "extended service." That was the one spot that I had a working data connection. I knew then that it was the towers.

After a couple of months waiting it out with 650s, the 700p I got this week works. Its fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rosalindavenue View Post
    Grant that has to be the greatest first post in the history of internet forums. Thanks. (No sarcasm intended). That makes a LOT of sense. I got a 700p with the 1.10 update from Asurion (after a drop and broken screen) in mid July. That one and the succeeding 2 from verizon had constant error 3000s and freezeups with no network connection all over the state of Virginia, in 1x and EVDO areas; EXCEPT in a rural, southside (on the border of North Carolina) county with "extended service." That was the one spot that I had a working data connection. I knew then that it was the towers.

After a couple of months waiting it out with 650s, the 700p I got this week works. Its fixed.
    Can you let me know how your battery life is going?

My Dad and I have been talking, and he got his 6700 while we were 1x up here where I live. When EVDO rolled out, his marginal battery went to useless. SO much he's constantly putting it in Flight mode just so it's useable when he needs it (no wonder he never answers me!).

My 700p's have worked pretty steady up here and in the Orlando area, BUT, the battery life stinks. Take yesterday - loaded Google Maps for a traffic check before hopping on the Turnpike. That dropped it 10%. Checked while sitting IN traffic on way home - another 10%.

So while we have apparenlty had good towers - they are sucking things dry, and not just Treo's. Which i find interesting.... he actually has nothing GOOD to say about EVDO it's been such a poor experience for him.

BUT, let me say - CONGRATS on getting one that works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    There is no doubt the Palm OS is very stable. it has been around for years. However, there are so many palm programs availabe, that there are inevitable software conflicts.

There is also no doubt that some Treo users have very few problems and some have a lot. In addition to the potential software conflicts, it seems that there arw two other reasons for the disparity in problems. First, syncing older palm settings into a new device is just asking for problems.

Second, and most likely, is a difference in hardware or manufacturing process. I have had different 700's that behave differently. For example, my original 700 skipped in Ptunes, like many others. I got a replacement 700 last month, manufactured in July 2006. The one I got was new, with vzw 1.06 firmware. There is no skipping in ptunes and I have all the same programs. I think there are many other examples on these boards of difference in Treo issues.

Sure, there are some issuses in the Palm Treo software that need to be addressed, like memory management, but I put a lot of blame on Palm for poor quality control and allowing users to easily import their old settings and software from previous devices.
    Like I have said in other threads, palm seems to think this only applies to VZW. We started having this issue on the Sprint side when the MR first came out. It seems nothing will be done to fix the Sprint side. It happens as well to my 755p, that Sprint replaced my old 700p with. I guess is Sprint users are just out of luck.
    Matty
    I'll chime in too. I've got a 700P. Since installing the MR I've had endless "300 whatever" errors. Drops the network. I haven't installed a single third-party application. I don't even hotsync to my computer. I hard-reset the phone, installed the MR using the SD card method, and then installed the versamail update like Palm said. That's it. I've never even connected the device to my computer since upgrading it. I've done nothing except try to keep versamail checking my mail with EAS. Won't work.
    The problem is with the MR and the 700P, somehow. If you're not having the problem, then lucky you. But for most of us, it's a Palm problem plain and simple.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    after reading threads like these I was scared to update my 700p. I got the phone with 1.08 on it and it worked perfectly. Installed a ton of 3rd party apps...still works perfectly. A week ago I bite the bullet and upgrade to 1.10MR. All is well, and I even put all my 3rd party apps back on. I use the phone very heavily (texts, email, lots of internet, etc) and have not noticed anything wrong so far. In all fairness I have to add, that nothing improved either. So it was a risk I probably didnt need to take.

I dont understand how it works for some and not for others? Its obviously not 3rd party apps like lots try to point out as I have at least 25+ on my phone(unless luckily by accident I just installed the stable ones).
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    Thats what I thought. Although I like the 755, I have 3 extra batteries for the 700P - that's why I don't want to switch yet. Good luck with it, and your right about the hotsync.

Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Yes it is. I only replaced my post-MR 700P because I like the look and feel of the 755. IMO, the main reason people have problems after MR is when they hotsync to their old ID and neglect to delete the backup folder and install apps individually with stability testing. Good luck.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12