Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Total Hype's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
       #1  
    This may be a rather unusual problem. Basically, after hard resetting my palm 700p, normal palm sounds will not work. This includes any music from ptunes, videos from tcpmp and the other persons voice when a call is made. In fact, the speaker icon (when a call is in progress) is not there. My ringtones work as normal so I think the speaker is not defective. I have tried hard resetting the device twice, but same issue.

    Any help appreciated.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Hype View Post
    This may be a rather unusual problem. Basically, after hard resetting my palm 700p, normal palm sounds will not work. This includes any music from ptunes, videos from tcpmp and the other persons voice when a call is made. In fact, the speaker icon (when a call is in progress) is not there. My ringtones work as normal so I think the speaker is not defective. I have tried hard resetting the device twice, but same issue.

    Any help appreciated.
    I could be wrong, but this sounds like the "bad headphone jack" problem where it thinks you have a wired headset stuck in the headphone jack so it disables the internal speakers.

    I know someone else that has this problem with their Treo and I had mentioned it while talking to a support person at Palm last week. He said one of the things to try is to do a quick blast of compressed air (don't go crazy...just a quick blast) into the headphone jack using one of those computer cleaning compressed air spray cans.

    Sometimes the headphone jack is really broken, but there is also a switch inside the jack that can get stuck in the "on" position if you insert a headphone plug that is just a little bit too long. The compressed air can reset the switch (or at least that's what the support guy said).

    If that fails, then hopefully it is under warranty/repair coverage and you can take it in for repairs so the can fix/repalce your phone.
  3. #3  
    I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. After spending about an hour on the phone with sprint and assurion (sprint's insurance people) I pretty much got no where. My phone is 52 days old so it is out of warranty unless I want to go to the store which takes forever.

    Well after ready JAnderew's post I tried using my wired headset for a while and magically the speaker phone icon reappeared and now the internal speakers work again. Now I just have to re-sync my phone and install some more programs (I tried the hard reset but got no where with that).

    I hope it doesn't happen again.
  4. #4  
    Just plug & unplug your wired headset a few times. This usually clears it. Happened to me a few times with 600 & 700. After using a headset, I check the sounds immediately after unplugging - and replug & unplug as necessary. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  5. #5  
    This may not be as random of an event as it might appear at first glance.

    From what the tech said, some plugs are slightly longer than they should be (or the Treo's headset jack is slightly shorter than it should be?) so some headset or speaker plugs may trigger the problem (and may help clear it). For that reason you shouldn't assume that all plugs are the same and if you find one that works consistently, stick with it. And if you are having the problem, trying using a differnt wired headset or cable.

    Personally, I use one of the 2.5 to 3.5mm adapters (JAVOedge and/or Seidio, I think) to connect my Treo to my car stereo and have never had a problem over the last 2 years with either my Treo 650 or 700p.
  6. Total Hype's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Just plug & unplug your wired headset a few times. This usually clears it. Happened to me a few times with 600 & 700. After using a headset, I check the sounds immediately after unplugging - and replug & unplug as necessary. Good luck.
    Thanks, that worked.

    Also, thanks for all of the suggestions.

    Now a question. Palm is sending me a new 700p. Should I bother replacing it or will it have the same problem?
    Last edited by Total Hype; 09/12/2007 at 08:55 PM.
  7. #7  
    My palm is also under warranty through palm. Total Hype what did you have to go through to get palm to replace it?
  8. Total Hype's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle1911 View Post
    My palm is also under warranty through palm. Total Hype what did you have to go through to get palm to replace it?
    Well, I contacted my phone provider (Bell, I'm from Canada) and they said they would issue a replacement from palm. They said the unit will be shipped to me and this was all done over the phone, I didn't have to go into any store.
  9. #9  
    This is a different angle on the issue...
    When I plug my headphones in, the external speaker is still enabled. I've tried soft resets, and syncs, nothing different. Anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!
  10. #10  
    It still sounds like the switch inside the jack is broken. I had the opposite issue, but blowing a little air into the jack fixed my problem. Although it could just be broken.

Posting Permissions