1.    #1  
    hey guys

just got a palm 755p with the sero plan yesterday and although i like the phone already, i am finding it a little difficult to get a hang of all the features of the phone as i was thus far a treo-virgin...

i did look around for help, but i couldnt find answers to the questions below - or they if i found answers they were not clear to me...

so here goes:

1. i need to have google chat - its a must! where and how do i get it...i would obviously prefer an app thats free - if possible
    2. does the included IM app keep me signed in even if i am on a different tab? and will i be notified if someone sends me an IM - this seems obvious that it should be i just want to be certain...
    3. can i set up gmail to deliver messages to me instantly? right now it does it every 5 mins...

well thats it for now - i will just update this thread as and when i have questions...

and of course, thanks in advance...

cheers!
    Well first you if you want goodle talk then you need to delete the IM program that comes with the 755p because it is VERY limited in what it can do. Install Mundu 4.1 and you will be able to use: aim/msn/yahoo/jabber/googletalk/icq. If you want your gmail to be Pushed to your phone you will have to forward your mail from that service to a pushmail service.. the one I use is mail2web, and once you sign up just set up an active sync account in either versamail or chattermail. I hope that helps.
  3.    #3  
    thanks will try these suggestions!
  4.    #4  
    btw - do i have to delete the IM app? cant i try mundu before deleting the original app?
    I believe you can but my suggestion is to backup everything on your phone using nvbackup or backup manager (<-- thats the one I recommend) before installing mundu.. that way you can delete the old im program and install mundu and if you don't like it (which there is no way you won't over the one that comes with the 755) you can just hard reset and restore your phone from your card and have everything the way it was before installing mundu.
    Doing it this way will prevent you from losing anything and it will prevent any files being left after trying to uninstall mundu and having them take up additional space on your phone that you might need later.

BTW I forgot to mention that you need to be using a mini sd card in your phone in order for those backups to work. once you backup your phone it gets stored on the sd card. so when you hard reset your full back isn't touched.
  6.    #6  
    hi

question about push email - i currently have outlook configured on my home desktop to get my emails from yahoo and gmail...can i set up outlook to now push these emails to the 755p?

sorry for the silly questions - i am very new to this and am trying to find my way around...thanks!
    Outlook can't push email to you...it is a desktop application. It is the Microsoft Exchange server that can push emails to your versamail on your treo.

Yahoo and Gmails do not natively push emails to your phones. You need third-party service or solution, which are usually not free, to do that.

By the way, if you are currently pulling your yahoo and gmail every 5 minutes, your treo battery may not last a full working day.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks Rome!

alright - this is where i need very specific help. i know what i want - i want my gmail and yahoo to be pushed to my 755p...can someone help me...what exact software do i need to get?

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by 10dulkar;
    Thanks Rome!

alright - this is where i need very specific help. i know what i want - i want my gmail and yahoo to be pushed to my 755p...can someone help me...what exact software do i need to get?

thanks!

You need to get a 3rd party app, such as ChatterEmail which costs something like $35. Then configure both Gmail and Yahoo mail to be retrieved through ChatterEmail. Unfortunately, because both Gmail and Yahoo mail are POP3, as opposed to IMAP, this means you have to configure a time increment for ChatterEmail to get retrieval of your emails at preset time intervals. I think the lowest increment is to retrieve emails every 1 minute. This would also mean much greater battery drain too. Might be better to have the setting to retrieve emails every 5 minutes to save battery life. Also, if you have 2 different email accounts for retrieval, it may be a good idea to have different time increments for each account (eg: set Yahoo mail for 5 minute retrieval, and Gmail for 7 minute retrieval).

For myself, I use ChatterEmail with my AOL account, which is an IMAP account, not POP3. Because AOL is an IMAP account, this means I don't have to set time increments for email retrieval. That is why an IMAP account is better for true push email, as opposed to a POP3 account. This is also why others on this board will recommend opening an IMAP account for email forwarding from a POP3 account. Do a search on the ChatterEmail board on this forum, and you will see tons and tons of info on this topic.

By the way, if you need help configuring your email settings for Gmail and Yahoo, etc, you can find helpful FAQ information on how to do this at the SnapperEmail website. Somewhere in the SnapperEmail site is a useful link that gives many different settings for various email accounts (eg: Port #, SMTP #, etc).

By the way, regarding Google email, you first need to log in to Google's desktop email app, and go to preference settings, and check the box that allows forwarding of your emails. If you don't do this first, you won't get emails forwarded to your Treo.

As for you other question on Google chat, I have no idea on this, although I'm sure that the included IM app is not able to handle this.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    how do you get Mundu for 755P if you are not a former Mundo user?
    the app on the web doesn't work last time I looked.

IN response to the google IMAP question, I do this:
    I forward my gmail to my imap server (Runbox.com, but you could use any imap email server)
    and in chatter I make my reply to: and return address: my gmail address.

Thus my gmail arrives at my phone pushed, and it appears to come from my gmail, and when they reply it goes to my gmail.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    Well first you if you want goodle talk then you need to delete the IM program that comes with the 755p because it is VERY limited in what it can do. Install Mundu 4.1 and you will be able to use: aim/msn/yahoo/jabber/googletalk/icq. If you want your gmail to be Pushed to your phone you will have to forward your mail from that service to a pushmail service.. the one I use is mail2web, and once you sign up just set up an active sync account in either versamail or chattermail. I hope that helps.
    finally set up mail2web...thanks for the help - its working well for me...

quick question - when i reply to an email that has been pushed from gmail to mail2web, can i set it up such that the reply is from my gmail account, and not my mail2web account...
    You also do not need to by another emal application, Versamail that comes with the phone will do push.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by 10dulkar View Post
    finally set up mail2web...thanks for the help - its working well for me...

quick question - when i reply to an email that has been pushed from gmail to mail2web, can i set it up such that the reply is from my gmail account, and not my mail2web account...
    same question. set up my gmail accounts thru mail2web, wondering how to change the addresss to my gmail addy and not mail2web....
    I'm a Pre gal now
    I was able to do it by going to the control panel:
    https://support.mail2web.com/

Once I'm in there, I can go to my personal home page and update my email accounts.

Their is a blank for each email account to enter an email address for replies.

Rick
  15.    #15  
    somebody said that i need to pay some sort of monthly fee to enable this feature...C5 - are you saying you were able to do this without paying? and it works fine? you are able to reply to messages with a 'from' address of your choice?

thanks!
    Yes, I'm not paying a fee. I will admit I have not used this very much though, so I won't say I've fully tested it.
    You can also set up a reply to address in versamail under preferences. When you send mail they will see that it came from your mail2web address but when they hit reply it will be going to the gmail. This way kinda of sucks but I don't know about you but I never really look to see what the incoming address is until after I hit reply to my msgs and if they have you in their contacts all they are going to see is your name anyways not your actual email address.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by C5Longhorn View Post
    I was able to do it by going to the control panel:
    https://support.mail2web.com/

Once I'm in there, I can go to my personal home page and update my email accounts.

Their is a blank for each email account to enter an email address for replies.

Rick
    hey rick - sorry to come back to this, but i was unable to set this up. i went into the personal home page and entered my gmail details (i am not even sure where exactly i did this)...but when i send an email from phone it shows that the email is coming from myname@mail2web.com whereas i want it to show that it is coming from myname@gmail.com

can anyone help me here? thanks!!!!