1.    #1  
    I'm pretty sure that I have used Chatopus on my 680 before but that was a while back, maybe I've changed version or something. Now when I select "Available" it says it is connecting and then ends with "Disconnected" and an OK button.

Currently it is version 2.21 which I have also installed on a TX to test, and it works fine, as does 2.15 on another TX. I can use my RAZR with a GMail chat client and connect and chat just fine, so I'm at a loss to explain it and am looking for suggestions.

Droopy
    version 2.21 works here on my 680. I suspect you have a configuration problem. Have you tried deleting the application and all associated files, reinstalling, and setting back up the account?
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
  3.    #3  
    Yes, unfortunately I have, more than once :-( I have a feeling some settings or conflicts are not getting deleted.

FWIW, I agree with you that this is the likely cause, I am simply looking for a suggestion short of a hard reset that will get me there.

It really upsets me that it used to work and now doesn't, especially when I can use google chat on my Razr no problem.

Droopy
  4.    #4  
    Seems as though my desktop client and my carrier don't resolve talk.google.com to the same IP. Treo shows 216.239.51.125 whereas desktop shows 209.85.163.125. If I put the IP address straight in it seems to work, for now...

Droopy