Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Got mine at a local best buy.

I'm using it with my Centro but i'm also new to SAG so i'm trying to figure out the quirks.. There is crazy lag when streaming audio and i've had random reboots when poking around.
    So for if i don't poke around the phone while streaming audio and answering calls i have no problems.

As for the call quality, I can hear people fine and they here me fine if i'm indoors. Outdoors (or noisy environment) they can't hear me and i hate screaming into headsets so o just switch to my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wikka View Post
    Got mine at a local best buy.

I'm using it with my Centro but i'm also new to SAG so i'm trying to figure out the quirks.. There is crazy lag when streaming audio and i've had random reboots when poking around.
    So for if i don't poke around the phone while streaming audio and answering calls i have no problems.

As for the call quality, I can hear people fine and they here me fine if i'm indoors. Outdoors (or noisy environment) they can't hear me and i hate screaming into headsets so o just switch to my phone.
    How is the stereo sound quality while listening to music?
    I bought one of these over the weekend and I'm very pleased with it, though maybe I'm not picky.

I wanted a bluetooth that I could use to discreetly listen to music or Audible books while at work. Thankfully I am female with hair below my ear. This particular headset is not bigger than "standard" bluetooth headsets, and it has to be smaller than the Jabra headset with similar function.

I don't spend hours and hours on the phone, but I've left myself a couple of test voicemails and been fairly pleased. I did leave myself one message with music blaring in the back ground and I couldn't hear anything on the voicemail except the music, so at the end of the day if you are looking for something to completely cut out background noise, this might not be the device for you. It does a decent job when driving with windows down, though.

Generally I prefer in the ear canal speakers, however I'm having issues getting a good fit with this. I'm finding it sits in my ear with the hook but it isn't seated properly. There should be a seal and that isn't happening. And when you grab the device to reinsert/seal it, there is a tendency to hit one of the 4 buttons. And be careful, 'cause one of the 4 hangs up!

I had a conversation with a friend on the drive home the other day and she said I sounded great. And today I did a conference call from home with it. I was very pleased with how they all sounded. I could hear everyone with no issues. And the volume on this device is great. It really can crank up which I think is very helpful. None of them complained about how I sounded and there definitely weren't any delays when I talked, etc. The 855 has a mute button on it, too, which came in very handy today. My cats got a little crazy with each other and then attacked the Roomba. I was able to mute the headpiece, deal with the mayhem and then un mute the call when a question was asked of me. Not to mention I was painting my living room in between.

I actually haven't spent much time at all listening to this in stereo. I've been using it in mono mode with Softick Audio Gateway for music and books and it works great for that...so to answer the question...you can use just one piece and still stream music.

I really like the cord for the other earpiece. It's more like shoelace material...kind of clothy, rather than plastic. It looks like it will hold up over time.

I had just ordered the Gennum nX6000 because it's so small but didn't realize I wouldn't be able to stream mono music or audible content. But I did put it through the same car noise/windows down test on the drive in this morning and it failed miserably. I couldn't hear anything I said. So the Gennum nX6000 is going back for sure.

I think a big key with decent call quality with the Plantronics 855 is extending the boom. I think it does make a difference in call quality. Unfortunately, extending or pushing in the boom unseats the seal of the ear piece. This is when you have to watch where you grab it to reseat it. The earloop keeps it from falling out altogether, and having a tight seal is not necessary to have a conversation and hear one effectively.

All-in-all I think this is a great device and I will be keeping it. I love being able to listen to music, or radio, or audible content, and be completely free of wires. I loved using it on my conference call today so much I'm tempted to start doing all my conference calls from my cell phone.

I am not an audiophile so my standards may not be as high as some of yours, but I hope you've gotten something useful out of this. If you have specific questions feel free to post them.
    I purchased one from my local Best Buy last week with a 10% coupon. Funny thing is Best Buy has it for retail of $130 and BB Business has it for $94, but my local store won't honor the Business price.

My impressions.

I have always liked Plantronics headsets, but only had experience with the 640 when it came out. This seem to have decent battery life and the extending boom was nice to have.

My fiance constantly complains about the background noise of the TV, but with this one, she didn't, so I was pleasantly surprised. Outgoing call quality was good as well as the incoming, although the sound lacked bass and as many said, sounded digitized. But that is the DSP working and unfortunately, if you want a headset with good DSP, sound quality WILL take a hit.

I returned it yesterday to Best Buy and the only reason was because you can get it for A LOT cheaper with online retailers IF when they become in stock in a couple of weeks and two, I've been having problems of it constantly disconnecting with my phone which I can't understand.

I would have to agree with some that the fit isn't too comfortable because its so deep inside your ear canal and even when properly seated, it can come loose if you touch it or just extend the boom. I was using it without the ear hook which I dislike.

I'm going to try the Jabra 5020 next, and maybe the 8040 as well. Even though its not as sophisticated, I've always liked Jabra brand.
    I got one a few weeks ago. For music, the sound quality is decent, although not spectacular. It is a touch tinny in the trebble and bass could use some oomph.

On calls, I generally get ok reviews from people on the other end, although they say you can definitely tell I'm on a headset. Wind noise or high background noise seems to garble outgoing conversation as well. Incoming sound on phone calls is OK. It is not as good as my old Jabra 250. It is still decent, though, if a bit tinny.

In terms of fit, it fits and stays in my ear without the loop only "ok". IF I have much head movement or am singing along to music, it tends to slide, and sometimes will fall out. With the ear clip it sits very nicely and is quite comfortable, with litle to no movement unless you really shake your head.

Overall, I am fairly satisfied. I do feel like for the price, the sound quality could be a bit better. I'm not expecting it to match a set of high end shure earbuds, but I had hoped for a little more.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    I bought one of these over the weekend and I'm very pleased with it....
    Your posting gave really good info....and the 855 is very appealing. My issue is that I have a 680 and it has been seriously challenged by the couple of bluetooth headsets I've tried (and returned). What Treo are you using the 855 with....hopefully it's a 680!
    Quote Originally Posted by billtyler View Post
    Your posting gave really good info....and the 855 is very appealing. My issue is that I have a 680 and it has been seriously challenged by the couple of bluetooth headsets I've tried (and returned). What Treo are you using the 855 with....hopefully it's a 680!
    I'm sorry to say it is a Centro. Well, I'm not sorry because I do love my Centro...I'm sorry that it's not the 680 and I can't tell you that it has a solid connection with that device.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thanks French. It seems like lots of people are loving their Centros. I might even try one if/when there's a GSM version (unlocked preferably).
    Ok, finally got a hold of this unit as an early xmas present. I am extremely pleased with it's interaction with my 700wx. The design is as useful as I thought it would be. For quickie slingbox views one can simply pop in the ear piece without the stereo attachment and it works fine. For better tv or music listening it's simple to carry the stereo attachment on your person and attach it and plop it in your ear.

Only issue I've had so far is the main unit doesn't want to stay in my ear but I attribute this to my right ear being weird as the left ear stereo earbud stays like a champ and it's the same size ear piece.

Plantronics Voyager 855
    Great reviews! I just ordered this and am glad to know it works well with the Centro (and sag).
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Content played in Audible Player for Windows Mobile only comes through the left (attachment) earbud. Anyone know a way around this?

On the Jabra BT8010, there was a setting to set the main unit as the left channel. I don't see anything in the Voyager 855 manual about such a setting.

My wife and I both have 700wxs and Voyager 855s. She would really like to have the ability to listen to Audible content through the main unit only.

Thanks,
    Davin
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Hello - I've had to go with this 700WX due to work software and wanted to see if you were still happy with the Plantronics Voyager 855 or if you've found a better solution.

Thanks
    Joseph
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
    Well I'm not daThomas, but I'm still happy with my Voyager 855.
    I had to return mine because I couldn't get it to stay in my ear. That's unfortunate, too, because I really liked everything else about it. I was shocked at the distance I could go before it would disconnect -- well, I'm thinking it didn't really disconnect, because as soon as I got back in range, the music would start up again. I really wish it would have worked for me! Bummer! I'm now trying the LG which fits right over the ear and stays in place very well. Unfortunatley, it has no where near the range of the 855.
    John 3:16
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123