Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The title says it all. The MR has caused significant problems for most, if not all of us. The only real solutions to date has been either for us to turn the phone off and on again, reboot, or swap out the device with another 700p with the exact same problems. Obviously, these are not effective solutions and only act to further inconvenience ourselves.

This is not intended to be a Palm bashing thread. I am honestly looking for an answer:

Will they ever fix it??

I have seen no movement, nada, from Vz or Palm on this issue since they pulled the MR. Have they hung us out to dry?
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Has anything changed for you over the last few weeks? I have noticed that I am getting fewer and fewer "Error 3000" messages when attempting to connect, which would indicate that Verizon is doing some tweaking on their end. I still get them, but definitely not as often as back in July and August. I used to hear back then from the Network Repair techs that Palm was working on a fix....they don't appear to be saying that anymore, which concerns me. Verizon in sending me my 2nd replacement unit to try, and the data tech seemed to think this unit would have "the latest update." I'm sure it's the same as now and she didn't really know what she was talking about, but we'll see.
  3.    #3  
    I'm on my 3rd device. I get regular 3000 errors or the "site unavailable" error. There has been zero decrease in this since the update. I'm on my 3rd device.

I am not sure where to go now. Though I have a ton of $ invested in software/accessories, I would leave Palm in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the only WM Pro device Verizon has is the 6700, which is far out of date. The Blackberry is beautiful, but doesn't meet my needs for databases I use. They are still far from releasing the 755 or the 6800 Mogul.

Perhaps Vz should allow me, and my family, out of their contract so that I can move to Sprint or AT&T where I can get a Mogul or Tilt/Kaiser (or even the 755, though I cannot justify spending any money on a Palm device for a long time).
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    It's hard to say if they will be coming out with another 700p update or not, but I think there is a chance (however small) that it is a possibility.

I say that because I reported a problem that was easily reproducible on my Sprint Treo 700p (post-MR) as well as 2 replacements that had both been updated to the MR. After many calls to Palm I finally got escalated to "Level 3" support where someone called me back to discuss the problem. Fortunately he was able to quickly reproduce the probem, agreed it was a problem and said he would escalate it to the developers for a response.

I won't know what their response will be until later this week (hopefully) but the fact that they seemed to agree that it was a problem that needed a closer look was at least encouraging and could be a sign that they may release another MR for the 700p if enough problems are found. Or they may just be gathering issues to address in the 755p and newer versions and have no intention of releasing another 700p update...we will see.

I did get confirmation that ALL 700p Treo's being sent from Palm to Sprint will have the 1.10 MR applied to them (new and refurbs) because Sprint said it wanted all of the 700p Treos to have it. That's the reason I was twice unable to get a pre-MR 700p even though I explicity requested it each time.

FYI: The specific problem I reported has to do with the fact that the Bluetooth headset cannot be used if you have a cable plugged into the headset port. No cable...BT headset works great. Plug in a cable...the sound is alway sent to the internal speaker or speakerphone, and nothing will send it back to the BT headset until you unplug the cable. I've seen a posting where someone with a 755p seemed to have it working a bit better (though it was still buggy), but the steps he described had no affect on all three 700p's I tested on.
    I am also disappointed in Palm's apparent "not concerned attitude" w/the MR (Sprint).
    Battery sucks
    Unintended Sounds
    Lag's still there.
    Love my Treo- disliking Palm's attitude.
    Hoping for the best.
    Good Luck to all.
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 09/10/2007 at 10:29 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    No
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    They have to many immanent problems. Our problems with the 700p are a past issue for them. They are working on the present and the future in which their efforts are questionable.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    If anyone can post them here, we should send email to president, ceo, and vp in charge of development

Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    They have to many immanent problems. Our problems with the 700p are a past issue for them. They are working on the present and the future in which their efforts are questionable.
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD View Post
    The title says it all. The MR has caused significant problems for most, if not all of us. The only real solutions to date has been either for us to turn the phone off and on again, reboot, or swap out the device with another 700p with the exact same problems. Obviously, these are not effective solutions and only act to further inconvenience ourselves.

This is not intended to be a Palm bashing thread. I am honestly looking for an answer:

Will they ever fix it??

I have seen no movement, nada, from Vz or Palm on this issue since they pulled the MR. Have they hung us out to dry?
    IMHO it is impossible for them to ever fix the problems with POS running natively on a Treo for two reasons; there is no memory protection between applications, and it is not a true multi-tasking OS. The memory protection issue means that any application can corrupt any other, so if any Palm or third party application writes outside of its bounds, it screws up. The lack of multi-tasking means that it can't be made to work as we expect because the phone part of the Treo is totally preemptive meaning that when the phone device feels it needs to be in command it completely takes over until it is done. These two problems can combine for even worse results since applications can be left in questionable states when preempted by the phone, and when you run them again they can get confused. These two issues are inherent in the design of the POS Treo and they cannot be fixed without a total rewrite. A windows based Treo should not have these two issues, nor should the anticipated Linux phone. A Linux phone could allow a POS environment/skin to run on top of it, but it would have memory management and would multi-task. Of course they can't admit the futility of fixing these problems and all they can do is reduce the other bugs.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbtkd View Post
    IMHO it is impossible for them to ever fix the problems with POS running natively on a Treo for two reasons; there is no memory protection between applications, and it is not a true multi-tasking OS.
    You would be absolutely correct if the OP was talking about fixing freezing and crashing. However, I believe he is talking about the data connection errors that have popped up since the MR. Since these errors are apparently due to EVDO authentication issues and have nothing to do with protected memory or multitasking, it is possible that they can be fixed.
    I'm on my second refurbished replacement w/vzw after my first replacement had the 3000 errors constantly. While doing some trouble shooting with a tech at vzw, I ended up with the PPP timeout errors. He gave up after that and sent me my current replacement. Error 3000 almost every time I try and connect, and lags are constant after each call, trying to go back to other apps. The question I have is what about all the new phones they are selling? Wondering if new customers and getting these problems even out of the box right now since the os is 1.10? Would it make sense for me to ask for a NIB phone rather than a refurb?
    To the original poster, fixing the firmware (underlying hardware interface software to the operating system, wireless radios, and accompaying programs, while adding new features and passing thru several checks) takes a good deal of time. While there are some things that can be fixed quickly, there are others that for one reason or another cannot be fixed so quickly.

Also remember, Palm can fix things in their labs and it would be fine, then the fix has to be applied to carrier specific modifications of the said firmware fix which is another layer that adds design, implementation, testing, and q/a. This is one of the reasons why smartphones own a much smaller share of the market, for even if you get the device right, there are carrier-tuned aspects that have to be also dealt with.

Unless you plan on becoming fast friends with an NDA-equipped person on the side of Sprint/VZW/Palm that handles this model and its current issue, you will not see any movement until VZW/Sprint and Palm release notes otherwise.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by donjuan831 View Post
    I'm on my second refurbished replacement w/vzw after my first replacement had the 3000 errors constantly. While doing some trouble shooting with a tech at vzw, I ended up with the PPP timeout errors. He gave up after that and sent me my current replacement. Error 3000 almost every time I try and connect, and lags are constant after each call, trying to go back to other apps. The question I have is what about all the new phones they are selling? Wondering if new customers and getting these problems even out of the box right now since the os is 1.10? Would it make sense for me to ask for a NIB phone rather than a refurb?
    I had the exact thing on my 1st replacement phone was the PPP Timeout errors which in the history of this forum I have never seen that specific error before. Googling it rendered the same problem on the tungsten and other Palm devices utilizing other network connectivity.

Lately since I am on phone #4 (Replacement#3). I'm of course still getting error 3000s. I dont care what anyone says: there isnt enough VOODOO you can do to get this to stop propogating error 3000s. Sending SMS messages will not fix it, turning the phone off and on helps alleviate the issue but isnt a solution. Twe best ways I found to consistently get on the internet is by launching the blazer first and connect. Then go to your other data applications then use them. If I try to use googlemaps or PalmVNC first then it always gives me a solid error 3000. If I try the web blazer I might get the error 3000 or this page cannot be displayed. At times I'll have to try as many as 10 times before I can finally get on. And you cant blame the verizon network because as I write this I am using my verizon Datacard which has worked super rock solid since I've gotten it. I think its some underlying issue with the Treo or even something in the Treo that they sub-contract out.

Will they ever fix it? I don't think so. They'll just push this model on the wayside and continue making newer products. At least I'm glad that my little talk with their Palm management and that article by edgadget helped put a nail into the Foldeo Coffin. Time will ultimately tell but I don't have the time to wait (I think i saw that in a star trek movie once :lol
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have to say that Palm is just so depressing to me. I have migrated from the 300 to the 600 to the 650 to the 700. I really felt the leap from the 300 to 600 was innovative and fresh. The 600 to 650 for me was about bluetooth added. The migration from the 650 to 700 was about EV-Do. But basically, it has been the same device since 2002 or so when they introduced the 600 with small upgrades.

Innovation to the device has been minimal. No meaningful native intuitive improvements. No improvement to the interface. No improvement to the software. No improvement to the touch screen aspect of the device. Yet I stay and want to stay in the camp. My next phone will not be a treo. I like the idea of the HTC Touch. I don't want to be an iphone guy or a windows mobile slave but frankly both platforms appear to be innovating much faster than palm. The best advancements palm can offer are done by 3rd party programmers not palm. And if Palm continues to neglect the product, those developers will be creating windows after market software not palm.
    If VZW offers one of these:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/06/h...bile-6-phones/

Palm and anything to do with Palm will be history for me. I don't know what's going on in Palmville, but it's obvious nothing good is going on. The whole lot of the R&D senior management should be fired.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Still just over a year with the 700p. I usually keep a phone a bit much longer than that..(but not much longer..lol).

Around this time, you'd expect Palm to be having something in the fall. Don't hate on the 700p or palm because of the iphone. Apple had a great debut. Don't hate on the 700p because of HTC...windows is a tweakers dream, but damn, i don't wanna have to tweak everything on those phones. Low res. Sorry..this isn't why you bash the 700p or palm which is still ahead of that windows mobile mess.

Palm is getting bashed because those of us DID expect the next Treo or news about it this fall or winter. So far, we got a buggy MR after the year of no support, and perhaps the dumbest idea this decade..the Foleo followed by them pulling the plug on it at the last second. To ensure the trifecta was complete, rumors of a Centro came out and if pics are to be believed, then its nothing more than a buggy treo lite (500) with yet a smaller keyboard & screen.

But with fall approaching, there's nothing out of em. Apple is seizing the moment as are the others. I suppose we'll see if Palm has anything left in it..but the clock is ticking. Nothing they've done this year has me convinced they can pull it off.

I'm sorry, you just don't charge me 400 for a phone (i've upgraded to every treo) and issue no updates for a year and totally ignore the desktop software as well (being vista compliant). I'm hanging to palm by a thread these days..with only me still keeping the treo for a bit longer keeping me interested. At this point, it'd take something pretty special to get me to buy another Treo.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I contacted Palm regarding the 3000 error, and of course their answer was "we are close to release the patch"... just the standard response from their CSR's. This was a week ago

The 700p is the turning point for Palm. Marred with glitches, bugs, etc. A delayed MR that got almost immediately pulled back from the web because it created almost as many problems as it solved.

It would be extremely easy to ask Verizon for a 3rd replacement phone, on arrival it will be faulty with the Error 3000 and by Verizon's lemon rule I should be elegible for gettting a different brand new phone. I long to leave Palm. I really do. I cannot do it however since Verizon does not have a good alternative smartphone solution yet. Everyone else has quite a nice selection of good devices (Just look at Sprint/AT&T) except for Verizon.

I am saving all of my pennies to pay that ETF (for both myself and my wife) and jump ship to another carrier with better phone offerings. My new smartphone WILL NOT be Palm branded, and I am making damned sure nobody I know gets to make the same mistake I made. I have steered away many from the Palm-Treo platform given the recent events.

Palm has long forgotten us. I won't stick with them no more.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    I contacted Palm regarding the 3000 error, and of course their answer was "we are close to release the patch"... just the standard response from their CSR's. This was a week ago

The 700p is the turning point for Palm. Marred with glitches, bugs, etc. A delayed MR that got almost immediately pulled back from the web because it created almost as many problems as it solved.

It would be extremely easy to ask Verizon for a 3rd replacement phone, on arrival it will be faulty with the Error 3000 and by Verizon's lemon rule I should be elegible for gettting a different brand new phone. I long to leave Palm. I really do. I cannot do it however since Verizon does not have a good alternative smartphone solution yet. Everyone else has quite a nice selection of good devices (Just look at Sprint/AT&T) except for Verizon.

I am saving all of my pennies to pay that ETF (for both myself and my wife) and jump ship to another carrier with better phone offerings. My new smartphone WILL NOT be Palm branded, and I am making damned sure nobody I know gets to make the same mistake I made. I have steered away many from the Palm-Treo platform given the recent events.

I used to be Palm's best supporter but like you, I state the facts about Palm and that they do not listen to customers (at least not yet, where are our Linux Treo's and why does the 700p and 755p have lags? As Ed stated in his letter released in Dec that the lag was inherent to the hardware design of the phone. That means defected phone in my book. No reason why Palm did not take care of us.
    Isn't it sad but interesting that when Tivo released the TivoHD to major problems this summer, they were able to release two major updates within 6 weeks (the first within two weeks) which solved 98% of the issues.

When Apple released its Ipod Classic last week, they were able to release an update with bug fixes within one week.

Meanwhile Palm fiddles while its userbase burns.
  20. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post

I've been thinking about this myself. Now that I've been using a smartphone for some time, I have a much better idea of the niche a smartphone fills in my life. What it boils down to for me is that my Treo does a whole lot more than I really need it to do. Here are my top needs/wants in a smartphone:

1. Good email app supporting push,
    2. Form factor,
    3. Good web browser (at least good for a mobile device),
    4. Simple phone app (ala 700P type),
    5. Simple UI.

I have come to really love the simplicity and ease of use of Palm, but I'm starting to think there are other devices out there that would fit my needs better. This is especially true with respect to form factor.

Palm is going to have to really step up if they want my business again.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast