1.    #1  
    I'm a college girl that lives off my laptop. The new treo is suppose to allow you to connect a laptop to the internet. Can someone please tell me how to set this up? Thanks Christina
    Are you using a Windows machine or a Mac? Are you looking to tether through USB or Bluetooth? Either way, people have had success with PDAnet but if you are a Mac person, you need to activate it on a PC first.

I am using the tethered mode hack with my 755 and my Macbook Pro through Bluetooth and it is working perfectly. PM me and I can give you instructions. Otherwise, do a Search and you will find lots of info on how to dial up to the internet from your computer using the treo as a modem.
  3.    #3  
    I have a Vista laptop. I use a usb cradle. Isn't there a way to connect that doesn't involve buying another program? I used pdanet when I had my 700 but it didn't work real well on vista and kept disconnecting and I had to restart my computer every time before I could reconnect. I thought that with EVDO, it would be a built in connection.
    Thanks Christina
    PDAnet worked best for me. Don't mind the error messages whilst trying to connect to PDAnet. If you keep on trying, it'll connect.
    I use PdaNet. I have Vista. I usually have to try to connect 2 or 3 times, but then it works great. I LOVE the program and am a VERY satisfied customer :-) Amazing that I can go ANYWHERE in the country and have both phone and internet. I don't know if there is anything better, but I'm tickled pink with what I've got.
    I can't connect my Treo 755p to my vista ultimate 64 bit machine via USB. I can sync through blue tooth. When I tried to install pdanet I get device driver errors like the notebook can't recognize the phone.

Any help?
    hmm... vista... that could just be a bug in itself
    PdaNet is funny that sometimes you need to just try a second or third time. I had to try the installation twice. Sometimes I have to unplug the phone and plug it in again to get my computer to recognize it. Sometimes I also need to connect a few times. Some of that is the phone or Sprint and not PdaNet.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I just downloaded a trial version and im using it with windows vista on my lap top. It has worked great, And I'm buying it today.
  10.    #10  
    Isn't there just a way to connect to the internet without buying something extra? That was the main reason I traded in my 700. I'll take the phone back if I can't because I see no real difference between the 755 and the 700. I only upgraded because pdanet for my 700 wasn't working on my vist laptop and I depend on the internet. I have to take tests and quizes online that are timed and if I lose the connection, I'm screwed because I can't go back and finish.

And by the way, I have a Motorola bluetooth adapter for my laptop and pdanet doesn't recongize it. I don't have money to keep buying stuff so it works the way is should. Michigan has doubled the cost of college in the last 2 years.

So please help me. If pdanet worked, I'd still have my treo 700 and be happy. I need a way to connect to the internet that is reliable.
    Christina
    I only know of three ways to use the phone as a modem:

1) Purchase PDAnet
    2) Add Phone-As-A-Modem through your cellular service provider
    3) Tether mode hack that has been posted on this forum

The tether hack is free. PDAnet is a one-time purchase. PAAM is an additional monthly fee on your bill. I went with PDAnet that I use on XP and Vista (both 32 bit) computers. I connect with the USB cable and so far I've had no problems. YMMV. Good luck. I can appreciate the need to save money with the skyrocketing costs of college.
    Quote Originally Posted by balzanto View Post
    I only know of three ways to use the phone as a modem:

1) Purchase PDAnet
    2) Add Phone-As-A-Modem through your cellular service provider
    3) Tether mode hack that has been posted on this forum
    Or purchase USBModem from www.mobile-stream.com which supports Vista.
    Have there been any reported problems with USB modem?

Thanks,

Rick
    I use USBmodem with my vista home premium laptop and it works great.. connects everytime and have never had to restart my laptop in order for it to work.. the version that supports vista only work via USB but since your using a cradle there wouldn't be any problems. Its a very small program to use on your phone. But again you said you didn't want to buy any other program so then I would just use the tethered hack and just creat a Dial up networking connection on your laptop to connect to your phone using bluetooth/usb.

Here are your only options though most of it was mentioned above this is the easiest way I know how to put it:

1: buy a PAM plan (which still requires you to use Sprints Business connection software if Im not mistaken) but thats like 49.99 bucks extra a month over what you already pay now.
    2: usbmodem/pdanet to bluetooth/USB connect but you gotta purchase either of the programs.
    3: use the tethered hack and then all you have to do is either bluetooth connect to your laptop which if you have a bluetooth enable vista pc is probably the easiest way and cheapest to accomplish. Or set up a DUN connection so you can connect via USB and its still free.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    I use USBmodem with my vista home premium laptop and it works great.. connects everytime and have never had to restart my laptop in order for it to work.. the version that supports vista only work via USB but since your using a cradle there wouldn't be any problems. Its a very small program to use on your phone. But again you said you didn't want to buy any other program so then I would just use the tethered hack and just creat a Dial up networking connection on your laptop to connect to your phone using bluetooth/usb.

Here are your only options though most of it was mentioned above this is the easiest way I know how to put it:

1: buy a PAM plan (which still requires you to use Sprints Business connection software if Im not mistaken) but thats like 49.99 bucks extra a month over what you already pay now.
    2: usbmodem/pdanet to bluetooth/USB connect but you gotta purchase either of the programs.
    3: use the tethered hack and then all you have to do is either bluetooth connect to your laptop which if you have a bluetooth enable vista pc is probably the easiest way and cheapest to accomplish. Or set up a DUN connection so you can connect via USB and its still free.
    I've been trying to get USB modem working on my laptop as well. Doesn't seem to work for me. What # do you set it to call? I used #777 as suggested in the USB modem manual, but it fails to connect. Any tips?