1.    #1  
    I had to retire my 700p due to a move to Alaska where Sprint has no coverage. I got a Nokia phone (with EDGE) from a local GSM provider. I moved the SIM card to my very old unlocked Treo 600. It works, but 600 is showing its age. I decided to get 680 and move the SIM card to it and migrate most applications from 700p.

What is the safest way to do it? The complication is that I sync with a G4 Mac. I use Missing Sync ver. 5.1.2. I need to keep the same sync name as I have legacy applications.

I welcome any suggestions on a safe move from 700p to 680.
    Don't sync your old settings and programs into the new one. Just install your programs from scratch. You can rename the backup folder. Not sure if it is the same place in mac, but in win it is Program Files/Palm/Username/Backup.
    As long as your backed up, what do you have to lose with just loading the new phone from your existing login?

I understand why some want to and do, do a clean install with new phones, but I've never done it. Never had any major problems. But I've always used the palm desktop, so I've never needed missing sync with my Mac. Maybe that is the diff??

Again, as long as your backed up, whats the big deal in trying? All ya gotta do is hard reset and start over.....
  4.    #4  
    I went with a new Hot Sync name. I will eventually switch to the old one. Took for ever to get data from Mac onto 680 - over 90 minutes to move Events and Tasks, 3000 and 2000 records, respectively.

I remember the mess when I moved from 600 to 700p. Good thing I kept backup files with BackupMan. I just want to avoid troubleshooting all applications. Moving them one by one, it works so far.

One thing I have problem with is email. Looks like Preferences -> Network requires username and password. I can not find these on Nokia 6126 that I migrated the SIM from. Will have to call Cellular One to get the info.
  5.    #5  
    I was able to successfully migrate to 680 from 700p, even Google Maps is working (as is Web). The problem is with email. When I attempt to get email from AOL or .Mac, 680 would try to establish network connection and immediately would start Cancelling.

I have CellularOne as the local provider. I tried the SIM card on my old 600 and Snapper Mail works fine.

On Treo 600, Network settings are as follows:

Service: GPRS
    Connection: GPRS
    User Name: Tap to enter name
    Passwors: -Unassigned-
    APN: Tap to enter APN

Without modifing anything above, my 600 connects to the network. I can run Web and email (Snapper Mail). The above settings are the only Network options available on Treo 600.

On Treo 680, there are four options for Network Service:

Service: Cellular One
    APN: cellular1

Service: Cellular One MMS
    APN: cellular1wap

Service: Dobson Cellular
    APN: dobsoncellular

Service: Dobson Cellular MMS
    Pawapsswors: -Unassigned-
    APN: dobsoncellularwap

When I try to make a connection with either Cellular One, Dobson Cellular, or Dobson Cellular MMS services, Treo 680 goes through motions and then cancels. With Cellular One MMS, I get a network connection. I can then go to Web or Google Maps and they work fine. When I go to email, the program tries to reestablish network connection using Cellular One service and cancels. I even modified APN in Cellular One to be same as in Cellular One MMS, but it does not work. What gives?

I know that on Sprint 700p there was a user name - my name and some digits and a password. But my 600 works fine without APN, user name, password. Why is 680 not working? Is it EDGE vs. GPRS issue?

Anyone? Any idea?
  6.    #6  
    In the previous post I solicited help to get email working on my 680. I solved it finally. After backing up Treo 680, I deleted all but one Service options under Preferences -> Network. I modified the remaining Service option as follows:

Service: Cellular One
    APN: cellular1wap

Both .Mac and AOL email work now fine.

It apperas that when several Service options are available, email initiates network connection choosing one of the available options. I do not know whether it defaults to the first one on the list or how it picks up which one to choose. When I manually selected Cellular One MMS - the one that has worked with Google Maps and Web, switching to email application made email to reinitilize network connection with Cellular One service. Even when I modified the original Cellular One service APN to cellular1wap (same as in Cellular One MMS), email would connect to what seemed to be Cellular One service and then it would cancel.

With just one Network service available - set to APN = cellular1wap, email now defaults to that service and the settings therein.

Perhaps most users know that already, but this was news to me. Hope this helps others. I am still curious why there are username and password fields in Network settings. What are they for?

The other question I have is with respect to EDGE vs. GPRS. How do I know that I am utilizing EDGE not GPRS? Per Palm the two green arrows near the antenna signify data connection. How do I know which one?
    Hello,

I also have an Unlocked Treo680 connected to CellularOne. Your steps do work until I restart the phone. Once the phone comes back up, all four Cellular One, MMS, Dobson, Dobson MMS show up in my Network Prefs again.

Have you figured out a way to maintain your settings after a reset?

Thanks
  8.    #8  
    I have also found that the Network Preferences revert to the original settings after resetting 680. Resetting the device was smething that I used to do on purpose and regularly with Treo 600. With the more stable 700p, I did not do it as often.

On one ocasion that 680 was reset, I again could not get to my email. I checked Network Preferences and indeed all four options were there again.

It appears that when you reset 680, it reads afresh network settings from the SIM. I have found no way around it except avoiding resets. My 680 is so stable that I can recall only two resets since I got it - one before fixing the Preferences and one since than, and the latter was more than a month ago.

Unless someone knows of a way to overwrite to the Network Preferences on the SIM, I see no way around it other than avoiding resets. Or if one occurs, repeat the whole process of modifying the Preferences and getting rid of the three that appear to be unnecessary. Hope this helps.
    Thank you for the advice.

I'm surprised you do not have to reset more often. On my 680, it is a daily occurrence. I should probably wipe it clean and start fresh, since I have installed many apps on it.

Thanks for getting back to me.
  10.    #10  
    Glad I could be of assistance. Over the years other users have helped me with my Visor, Prism, and Treo problems; just returning a favor.

It might help to list the applications I have on my 680. These are in addition to the standard load that comes from Palm. By the way, I sync with G4 PowerBook using Missing Sync 5.2 - I am planning to upgrade to ver. 6.0.

So here is the list.

BackupMan v. 2.3
    Convert-It v. 1.7
    DateBk6 v. 6.0a, s5
    dbScan v. 1.9c
    File Z v. 6.8.3
    GoogleMaps v. 1.2.0.9
    Happy Days v. 2.33
    PocketQuicken v. 2.5.1
    SplashID v. 3.32
    Strip v. 1.0

I had these and then some on my 700p. Since 680 has the same OS as 700p, it seems that what I finally got to work on 700p without problems is working well on 680. I did find conflicts between Docs to Go and SplashPhoto and Camera. Some of that was related to the use of all three with Missing Sync. Also, there were some issues with saving the pictures on the card. Since I rarerly use 680 camera, I decided to remove SplashPhoto.

BackupMan was invaluable in testing and resolving conflicts.