Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it just me or do you feel ripped off that the Centro (rumored) will be coming out in october when we paid $275-399 for the 755p a few months earlier?

the centro looks to have updated software (like cingular 680) and smaller form factor. everything else looks the same.

I mean why even release the 755p when u plan on coming out with better version 5 months later?

Am I supposed to be happy that I paid an additional $200-300 for a larger treo with the same OS as the 650?

I guess I have buyers remorse. I mean to me the centro looks better and more enhanced than the flagship palm 755p. I guess the flagship palm os is only flagship for 5 months
    I don't think anybody knows of the true specs on the Centro? One thing about being smaller thats not flag ship worthy is ergonomics. It looks to me you would need Keebler Elf fingers to type on that Qwerty and the Centro definitely has a loss of realestate as far as the screen goes. 680's software is lacking in features in comparison to the flagship devices. If you remember the 680 was released as an entry level device and was also cheaper. I still believe the 7 series are flagship devices and I have no interest in the Centro. I am awaiting the next top end Palm device with a PalmLinux OS.
    at&t iPhone3G
  3.    #3  
    I understand your arguments. I just saying do u think like 5 months difference and "ergonomics" make a $200-300 difference in these devices.

palm is clearly having difficulty with product differentiation.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    I understand your arguments. I just saying do u think like 5 months difference and "ergonomics" make a $200-300 difference in these devices.
    I paid $1,200 for my first VCR, and my brother bought it from me used for $500. It didn't have fast forward scan or anything. Less than a year later they had all types of upgrades and now you can buy one for $30 (if that much). You can't look back at technology and worry about what you are bringing up or you will never buy anything. Seriously, you look at anything. You can buy a Razr now for $19.99, and they were $300 when they first came out. These people make their money because of folks like us. If you feel that bad, wait for the next phone you want to be out for awhile and then buy it. The Centro, if only $99, will be free in a few months.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post

I agree, you do have a point. I am just trying to rationalize this for myself i.e. I paid a prime price for my 700p, and it does seem like a rip off. More rationalization...if Palm is comming out with a new OS being the PalmLixux in the horizon, then Garnet 5.4.9 could aid in being a cheaper software aside from or with hardware on any new device still lingering with FrankenGarnet. Centro looks to me hardware wise cheaper compared to the construction of the 755p inspite of its size, and the Centro proves its still retaining its old POS, so with all that is supposed to come in higher end devices from Palm, how can this device be priced for anything more. All 755p owners are inherently a victim of these possible circumstances until the real upgrade in this device emerge.
    at&t iPhone3G
    not as ripped off as the early iphone buyers....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    They were just a victum of circumstances...GREED.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    They were just a victum of circumstances...GREED.
    and stupidity
    if it bothers you that much, just sell the 755 on ebay to recoup, before the centro hits the streets... the "average joe" doesn't know the centro is coming out
    HTC Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Having the CEO publicly apologize and handing out $100 rebates might not be a bad start...
  11.    #11  
    right at least apple is trying to make it right by offeeing $100 store credits to early adopters.

Palm can't afford to do that.

I do plan on selling my 755 and getting a centro . . . but just asking "why?" release the 755. when u knew u had another essentially identical device coming out 5 months later?

if the form factor is the only differentiatoor that's sad.

i'd feel better paying what I did if palm had included GPS in the 755p but they didn't and are now cutting $300 off the price from 755 to centro.

BTW don't expect a linux treo till 2009 at earliest, If ever. palm dropping foleo speaks to their OS ineptitudes - they are way behind where they need to be on the OS side.
    with palms sell out to EP, expect all unnecessary risks and costs to be cut : e.g. new risky os development.

they will most likely continue palm os garnet in lowend for 2-3 years then totally go MS (which already accounts for 50% of their devices). the writing is on the wall.
    Welcome to the life of a geek!
    Now stop whining and get over it.
    No I don't feel that way.
    It was my understanding the Centro is focused as an entry level pda or people who like to text....which isnt the focus of the Treo 755p...

No I dont feel ripped off...I dont like the look of the Centro and my 755p is serving me well...I got it for free so I am happy!!!!

As another poster said sell your 755p and wait on Centro if it bothers you but when you do dont forget that when you go to purchse the Centro something else will be out in 6 to 9 months that might be faster, smaller, better, etc...thats technology....
    Last edited by MsRandall; 09/09/2007 at 01:07 AM.
    The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

At the Centro pricepoint I'm confident there will be some different features and that we will see lots of threads complaining that previous Treos had this or that along with the obligatory how can I steal this app from that model, etc.
  15. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Did I miss the part where we heard anything about the Centro's specs? Processor speed? Camera? Memory? Expansion card? There are ways they could differentiate it from the higher-end models beyond what you can see in the one or two pictures floating around. Maybe not different enough for you, but then again Palm hasn't released a product that was a significant improvement since the 650, so you could say we're all victims of that.

The 755p came out in mid-May, that's four months ago next week. Even if the Centro came out today, four months is too long in technology time to be complaining of the "I just bought one!" syndrome. I think the iPhone users are pushing it as well, but remember in that case the timespan was shorter, and they are talking about exactly the same device being lowered in price by $200. The Centro is a new product that we know little about at this point, and I for one hope this is a return of the days where a new Palm device came out every 3-6 months and made the old one obsolete. We've been stuck with basically the same device for years.
    No, I paid $149 (after rebates) for my 755p.
    Wait and see if how the keyboard is before you write off your 755. It may be cramped and crappy....you just don't know without playing with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsRandall View Post
    No I dont feel ripped off...I dont like the look of the Centro and my 755p is serving me well...I got it for free so I am happy!!!!
    I agree. That Centro keyboard looks unusable with my huge thumbs, and I'm not interested in an entry-level device anyway. I got my 755P as an insurance replacement for a 650, so I'm quite happy to stay where I am until the rumored next-gen Treo is available.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    We know precious little about the Centro at this time, really.

I think it'll probably have a 1200mAh or so battery, resulting in terrible battery life. For all we know it could even use a FIXED battery!

I've also not seen any mention of Bluetooth, so it's possible that was dropped to save $. It also does not appear to have Docs To Go pre-loaded on it.

And with such a tiny LCD and keyboard, I'm sure it'll be a usability nightmare.

I think Palm just tried to cram as many "fancy" Treo features as possible into the Centro with no regard to quality, aesthetics, or usability.

You do realize that technically the 755p's keys are already a hair smaller than the 700's, right? And the 755p's screen is supposedly .1" smaller as well (I was not able to verify this personally) compared to the 650 & 700 models.

I have also found the 755p to be more difficult to type on due to the reduced thickeness of the body and the smaller keys. I'm not fond of the removal of the backlight from the space bar and d-pad as well (the 750 and 680 are like this as well IIRC).

Overall, Palm seems to be reverting back to their usual policy of cutting costs and boosting profit margins.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    You do realize that technically the 755p's keys are already a hair smaller than the 700's, right?
    The keys seem just as easy to type on as the 650's keys.

And the 755p's screen is supposedly .1" smaller as well (I was not able to verify this personally) compared to the 650 & 700 models.
    I dunno about this. I moved my Invisible Shield over from my 650, and it fit just fine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast