1.    #1  
    Its almost there. My left channel disappears and I have to hold it in a certain position to get stereo. The other day, my 680 also didnt have any speaker or handset sound as if there was still a headset plugged in. I soft reset and restored my saved and unsaved preferences. That restored the sound but the left channel still disappears or has static.

Is there a fix I can do or do I just need to get a replacement from Palm?
    You can try Headcold. You can get it at mytreo.net. But I think that's more of a temporary fix. The app didn't work for me I called Palm like two weeks ago for a replacement and I'm just now getting it today on my birthday, by the way. Turns out this phone is better than my original phone. I had no idea the keyboard on my treo sucked so much. Hope you have as much good luck as I have.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
    There is no hope. Seriously i have no headphone usage now having to bypass it using volumecare...only speakerphone. Anyway so much for convergence - I'll go get an iPod or zen or something!
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB View Post
    Its almost there. My left channel disappears and I have to hold it in a certain position to get stereo. The other day, my 680 also didnt have any speaker or handset sound as if there was still a headset plugged in. I soft reset and restored my saved and unsaved preferences. That restored the sound but the left channel still disappears or has static.

Is there a fix I can do or do I just need to get a replacement from Palm?
    I had the same problem six months after getting my 700p. IMO, I think all the Treo headset jacks are garbage. I have dropped my old Sony Walkman 100 times and left it in the snow, violently yanked the plug out of the jack, etc and it still gets a full crisp Stereo sound, but its sad a $600 device has issues like this. I didn't use my Treo to listen to music much so I didn't opt for a device exchange yet Sprint was willing to exchange it for me. My 700 was working good and with some of the hoopla about problematic 700P's arising, I figured a headset Jack wasn't worth exchanging for another Treo that might have worse issues i.e. the devel I know is better than the devel I don't.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    There is no hope. Seriously i have no headphone usage now having to bypass it using volumecare...only speakerphone. Anyway so much for convergence - I'll go get an iPod or zen or something!
    No need for the Iphone if you're willing to take some extra steps that have in themselves some extra benefits. I am cetain my 680 jack would fail if I used it much. Instead, I use stereo bluetooth with SAG, and listen to a few hours of music every day on my 680 with no danger of the jack failing. It is a radical measure, I suppose, but I enjoy the 680 and don't live with the constant fear of disaster. The added benefit is that I can now play all my MP3s on my home stereo with the $15 Jensen BT receiver, so all in all the whole setup is a bonus, even though you of course are right: the Treo jack and a lot of other things on it simply suck (did you see the Times today that called it a total disaster?).
    I just had this issue, and got a warranty replacement from ATT on Tuesday. It even has the new ATT logo on it now... BUt seriously, no one's phones should be over a year old yet, so this should all be simple warranty work...
    On my old 650 I could get to the music via the audio jack AND via the hot sync jack. When the audio jack failed I simply switched to the hot sync jack with this adapter. For some reason this option does not work on 680. Does anybody know why? It was such a simple a great solution.

On 680 I only use Motorola S9 stereo blue tooth headset (it simultaneously works for calls because it dopes have a mike build in) with the Softick Audio Gateway – it works great! There are many other stereo headset choices other than S9.
    Quote Originally Posted by staryjary View Post
    On my old 650 I could get to the music via the audio jack AND via the hot sync jack. When the audio jack failed I simply switched to the hot sync jack with this adapter. For some reason this option does not work on 680. Does anybody know why? It was such a simple a great solution.

On 680 I only use Motorola S9 stereo blue tooth headset (it simultaneously works for calls because it dopes have a mike build in) with the Softick Audio Gateway – it works great! There are many other stereo headset choices other than S9.
    I have looked into this in detail. According to Palm the audio output is on the same pins of the hot sync connector for the 650 and 680. I have the Seidio audio adapter cable which was designed for the 650. It does not work on the 680. Seidio can not tell me why. I suspect its an impedance issue.

I used to use the Seidio audio adapter daily with my car set up. Now I use the 2.5mm plug. The good news is that I can charge the phone while getting audio output. The bad news is that eventually the jack will fail.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  9.    #9  
    Oh well, I'll call Palm tomorrow then. Its going to be 3 days with my 650 then.
    I'm soon to be on my 3rd Treo 680, because of this (or a very similar) issue.

I use my headset jack exclusively, because the Treo bluetooth earpiece I got is not loud enough for me to comfortably hear. On average, I plug my headset in 3 times a day, because I use it in the car to & from work, and occasionally at lunch.

I bought my original Treo in February, and by the end of June, problems started. I could hear on the earpiece, but no one could hear me. And if I jiggled the plug? It hung up the call.

I sent it in for repair, and it was replaced with a refurbished phone. That worked well for 2 weeks. Then? Same problem.

So now they are sending me a 3rd phone (2nd refurbished). I don't know what I'll do if that one develops the same problem.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I know what I'm doing. Ebay. Like you I have also had 2 replacement 680s and they have both failed within 2 weeks of receiving them. I have gone back to my 650 and when the replacement comes in for the 3rd time, it's going straight onto Ebay(with a full disclosure of course). At least they didn't charge me for the advance replacement after the first one...
    I've paid the Advance Replacement fee twice ($25 each time) for this exact issue. The first time was on a Graphite Unlocked. The day I had the headset fail the first time, I decided I wanted a Crimson, so bought one on ebay and sold the Graphite. 2 months later the Crimson jack failed. On the refurb replacement, the jack has been working fine for 4 months or so now.

I don't do bluetooth at all...I tried 6 or 8 different headsets and never found one that sounded as good as my Ety-Com wired headset. And I plug/unplug it 8 or 10 times a day....basically, every time I initiate a call.

Speaking of which, this is the first phone I've ever had that I can't plug in and switch to headset during a call. When I try that, the other party can't hear me. If I want to use the headset, I have to hang up, plug in, and re-dial. I have tried 3 different wired headsets.
    Quote Originally Posted by jessi_9783 View Post
    You can try Headcold. You can get it at mytreo.net. But I think that's more of a temporary fix. The app didn't work for me I called Palm like two weeks ago for a replacement and I'm just now getting it today on my birthday, by the way. Turns out this phone is better than my original phone. I had no idea the keyboard on my treo sucked so much. Hope you have as much good luck as I have.
    well happy belated b day
    I enrolled in Sprint's insurance program for this reason.... the headset jack failure... i will be prone to this because my tero is also my ipod... $7 a month for peace of mind...
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma pi View Post
    well happy belated b day
    Thanks Sigma! I'm 24 now. Woot Woot!!! Now you know what those four numbers at the end of my user name stand for.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic