Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It's a $99 smartphone.

If it sells to a new audience (non-smartphone users/ low end), then that IS what they need. I don't think this is meant to impress people at TC.
    I agree. Re: First timers looking for a PDA might like both the Pearl and the Centro, but once you add up the costs of the Peral, the Centro looks pretty good on a monthly basis. That is, unless Sprint is also coming out with some competitive data plans like T-M has:

New TMobile Pearl Plan
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I don't think this is meant to impress people at TC.
    Well we said the same thing about the Treo 680 and the 755p. So when in the hell is palm going to impress us? Is a shame I am more excited about getting a new ipod touch than my next (may be never) palm phone. All of the new exterior changes are great, but what does it matter if what's under the hood doesn’t change? How many people here would by a 2008 car if they knew it had a 2004 motor in it?
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske View Post
    Well we said the same thing about the Treo 680 and the 755p. So when in the hell is palm going to impress us? Is a shame I am more excited about getting a new ipod touch than my next (may be never) palm phone. All of the new exterior changes are great, but what does it matter if what's under the hood doesn’t change? How many people here would by a 2008 car if they knew it had a 2004 motor in it?
    You make a valid point, but your example is poorly chosen. As many people would buy a car with a 2004 motor, that is depending on the motor it comes with. With cars things don't change as fast as cell phone and other technologies do.
    The 755 is what it is: a mid-line refresh of the 700p, that should be obvious.

Palm is obviously trying to diversify their offerings by making two lower end models: 500 and the Centro, which is what people have been telling them to do forever. Now that they finally do it, they get flack from everyone for not impressing them.

So you'll just have to wait to see what their high device is or move on, but I think for a $99 device, this isn't half bad.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    You make a valid point, but your example is poorly chosen. As many people would buy a car with a 2004 motor, that is depending on the motor it comes with. With cars things don't change as fast as cell phone and other technologies do.
    yes this is true but palm has been sputtering when it comes to OS and functionality.

• In 03 I bought a treo (600) because it was the best on the market.
    • In 04 I bought a treo (650) because Palm did a significant upgrade in hardware and OS.
    • In 06 palm began to sputter...noting new to buy...so I picked up the PPC 6700 with WM. I loved the OS but hated the phone.
    • In 07 I picked up my latest treo (700wx). It has been the most solid Treo I have owned to date......but it is getting out dated compared to other phones on the market.

The bottom line is Palms competition has caught up and some have passed. Palm needs something fresh and new to compete and in my opinion the Centro is not it.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    for a $99 device, this isn't half bad.
    I will agree.... a $99 price point will sale alot of phones...
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    I have seen a lot of speculation about the Centro but do we have solid specifications yet for it?
    We wanted a new treo. Instead we got the Treo Nano.
    I will agree.... a $99 price point will sale alot of phones...
    mmm... maybe... as long as it is truly competitive with the other $100 QWERTY smartphones out there, like the Q/Dash/Blackjack. Is there any major reason why an average customer will want a Centro over a Q/Dash/Blackjack ? Will the Centro be as thin, svelte, with as decent a keyboard as a Q/Dash/Blackjack ? Even Palm's own 680 is only $150 these days. So the market window of the Centro seems pretty narrow... Would you really want a Centro over a Blackjack, both at $99 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    mmm... maybe... as long as it is truly competitive with the other $100 QWERTY smartphones out there, like the Q/Dash/Blackjack. Is there any major reason why an average customer will want a Centro over a Q/Dash/Blackjack ? Will the Centro be as thin, svelte, with as decent a keyboard as a Q/Dash/Blackjack ? Even Palm's own 680 is only $150 these days. So the market window of the Centro seems pretty narrow... Would you really want a Centro over a Blackjack, both at $99 ?
    Centro gets you

(1) 3g
    (2) Much cheaper data plans
    (3) Touch screen
    (4) POS

Your question you are asking is relevant for every low-end smartphone e.g. Why get a Q over a Blackjack? Why a Dash over a Cavalier? Fact is, some are only on certain carriers, offer only certain features, are priced a certain way...

A lot of people don't like WM and would prefer something else, even the older POS.

It's called choice and preference: as a consumer, the more the merrier. Let the market sort it out and don't worry about it.

ps the Moto Q is $150 on Sprint and $169 on Verizon. The Dash (no 3g) is $149.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Centro gets you

(1) 3g
    (2) Much cheaper data plans
    (3) Touch screen
    (4) POS

Your question you are asking is relevant for every low-end smartphone e.g. Why get a Q over a Blackjack? Why a Dash over a Cavalier?.
    That's right... I'm not saying the Centro won't sell at all. But rather, as far as I can see, it is coming in pretty late as an "also-ran". It has certain pros and cons compared with Q/Dash/Blackjack (indeed I lump them all together because they are all pretty similar), but nothing that really makes it a home run in that particular, fairly narrowly defined market niche.

If this were 1.5-2 years ago, I'd say, yeah, the Centro is coming right in with the rest of the pack -- a little chunkier, more Britney than the rest, but, now, end of 2007...

Apple has sold 1million iPhones, and every other company is tripping over themselves to introduce a touch-screen-only phone (HTC, Sony, S-E, Samsung, LG, etc). That is a market that Palm should have OWNED, since it started out that way, but it isn't even a player and has no visible response. Palm should be (or should have already) introduced a touch-screen-only $100 phone right along side the HTC Touch. Touch-screen-only is where the PalmOS does (did) very well, and Palm *could* have introduce the low cost alternative to the iPhone -- and THAT would have sold. This Centro will be lucky to get 10-20% of the Q/Dash/Blackjack market. Palm *could* have had a huge fraction of the $100 iPhone-like market.
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Apple has sold 1million iPhones, and every other company is tripping over themselves to introduce a touch-screen-only phone (HTC, Sony, S-E, Samsung, LG, etc). That is a market that Palm should have OWNED, since it started out that way, but it isn't even a player and has no visible response. Palm should be (or should have already) introduced a touch-screen-only $100 phone right along side the HTC Touch. Touch-screen-only is where the PalmOS does (did) very well, and Palm *could* have introduce the low cost alternative to the iPhone -- and THAT would have sold. This Centro will be lucky to get 10-20% of the Q/Dash/Blackjack market. Palm *could* have had a huge fraction of the $100 iPhone-like market.
    Not sayin' palm hasn't slipped up six ways from Sunday, but a lot of people - myself included - see the treo's full qwerty keyboard and one-handed operation as its key competitive differentiators.

I don't want a phone that takes two hands to operate, and typing on an iphone is a real chore.
    They just need the Treo Touch and an improved Treo Classic. (not ripping too much off am i? LOL)
    The Centro could work really well. If it's $99 and the SMS is easier to use than on WM (which shouldn't be hard) then it will probably be a winner.

The Centro is going to release on Sprint which only carries the Q - no Blackjack or Dash. While many of us might switch carriers for a device, most people won't.

The Centro looks like a low end device device designed to compete with the EnV and sidekick. WM even though it has multimedia functions is still a business OS first. It is not the best option for the teen market looking for a phone with great SMS, good multimedia and a calendar option.

If this (and the 500v) are the first of several offerings over Q4 / Q1 then it could lead to a lot of success. These target the lower-end smartphone and younger texting oriented markets. However they must be followed up by high-end devices relatively soon, and those devices need to be more innovative than a slightly slimmer WM6 750v.

The Centro and 500v now followed by a WM6 thin Treo with WiFi, GPS, (maybe WiMax) and good Palm software customizations in Q4/Q1 and a Linux Palm OS device with similar hardware specs in Q1/Q2 2008 would get palm back on track.
    the biggest problem for the centro is if it follows palm's history of putting out crappy products that don't work- like blue tooth on every treo.

I'm sick of my 700- its just not a good phone- great email, great web, great pim- but the phone is just weak.

If the Centro can deliver a superior phone function, and sufficient 'other stuff'- it will do very well.

I have no faith, having been burned with every new release of the treo- its been downhill starting with the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I agree. Re: First timers looking for a PDA might like both the Pearl and the Centro, but once you add up the costs of the Peral, the Centro looks pretty good on a monthly basis. That is, unless Sprint is also coming out with some competitive data plans like T-M has:

New TMobile Pearl Plan
    This is just what my wife needs...she hates the brick feeling of my 755p, but would like to get the Palm OS functionality for her medical apps (she's an MA)..
    Of course, what would my wife know about gadgets, she fell for the RZR...lol

hey, less money out-my-pocket and with Palm OS? shoot...the centro is sold to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    We wanted a new treo. Instead we got the Treo Nano.

wow!!!! so true!!! and the funny thing is..the NANO was a ton of cash in the pocket of Steve and the orchard crew...it took the boring, white, brick-like portable HDD and made it into a true accessory...how about them apples?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123