Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Hello,

I see TomTom units now for around 200.00 dollars, so I am debating on getting the palm version for my 755p.

Thanks

Frank
    An interesting topic. First, have you looked at GoogleMaps? That will give you an indication of a mobile map, though it is a bit different in size from that provided by the TomTom system. Is it too small? They work and do ok. My suggestion is to go to a TomTom dealer and look at the device. Costco, CompUSA and bunches of other places carry them.

For older people, the larger TomTom units are probably better.

Ben
    I use Telenav on my Treo all the time. You can pair it with almost any BT-enable GPS receiver which run abut $100.

I pay $10 per month and get continual upgrades to the maps and PalmOS application. TomTom will charge you $50 to $75 per application upgrade which probably comes out yearly.

I really like the web integration with Telenav. Typically I paste my destination address into their the web portal called myTelenav. When I get into the car it syncs the web info down to my phone. No typing or tapping required!
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I'm a big fan of unifying as many functions as possibly and reasonable in one device.

That said, along with the expensive update issues, large card requirements, "activation" nonsense and other factors, I think a GPS device is best left separate from my phone/email device. I want 24/7 phone and email access - and the GPS function requires total control over the Treo - lag between phone and GPS isn't realistic, and if someone calls when you are in the midst of important GPS-driven maneuvers then you've got trouble. A good standalone GPS costs as much and even less than the Treo solution, and you don't have to play "activation" games any time you have your phone replaced.

Googlemaps still has their place for locating contacts and checking traffic conditions ($120/year subscriptions for traffic on your GPS is ridiculous). But I'm MUCH happier with a nice big NUVI screen for navigation rather than adding more load to the Treo and its tiny screen.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I use Telenav on my Treo all the time. You can pair it with almost any BT-enable GPS receiver which run abut $100.

I pay $10 per month and get continual upgrades to the maps and PalmOS application. TomTom will charge you $50 to $75 per application upgrade which probably comes out yearly.

I really like the web integration with Telenav. Typically I paste my destination address into their the web portal called myTelenav. When I get into the car it syncs the web info down to my phone. No typing or tapping required!
    Curious - what's the lag time on your Treo when it has to switch from the Web interface over to the phone? As it's an IP-based system, I'd imagine you don't have the option of turning off the phone if you have some serious maneuvering happening - or can it locally cache a certain region for you? (I'd imagine this would be necessary when travelling through areas with spotty coverage anyway).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Curious - what's the lag time on your Treo when it has to switch from the Web interface over to the phone? As it's an IP-based system, I'd imagine you don't have the option of turning off the phone if you have some serious maneuvering happening - or can it locally cache a certain region for you? (I'd imagine this would be necessary when travelling through areas with spotty coverage anyway).
    With Telenav all the maps are supplied over the air. If I call comes in then and you accept it then the GPS is halted. I believe if you ignore the call then GPS continues.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    where can i find some stand alone maps for my gps unit? i dont want to pay a ton for them,is there some that are better than others?
    i am trying telenav now on the 30 day trial
    mt
    I have been using tomtom navigator 6 on my Treo for over a year. On the 650, 700p and 755p, it works great. The price is going down too. A few weeks ago, you could get the whole bundle for about $150, or free with the purchase of a new Treo.

When you receive a call while navigating, if you IGNORE the call, Treo immediately goes back to your route. If you ACCEPT the call, you must reload tomom, but your previous map stays loaded.