1.    #1  
    Been a while since I logged in here, but I came across something that I wanted to ask all your opinion on.

I have a Treo 650 that I bought on ebay years ago. It has always worked very well.

My question is when I 1st got it, I removed a screen protector, since it was scratched up from use. I also noticed another layer of screen protector-like material under the one I removed (still on the screen).

I only lifted a cornor of the piece then I relized that it was comming up from under the "molding", so I stopped out of fear that I was removing a critical layer.

I have never had any issues with my screen, even in the effected area (its very close to the edge, so I wouldnt ever need to "tap" something there).

But now I an looking at taking the Treo 650 appart so I can get complete access to the screen face and completely replace that film, since it is getting scratched and worn over the years of use.

Is there any danger of removing that "factory film" and replacing it with another film, or would removing that film cause the touch screen to stop working?

I understand that taking the treo appart voids the warrenty, but its long past that point.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    I never knew there was a factory coating that was removable. Are you sure its not another screen protector?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I never knew there was a factory coating that was removable. Are you sure its not another screen protector?

Well thats where im stuck. I cant see someone putting 2 protectors on it, unless it was a blond moment kinda thing. Plus it seems that this "protection" covers the whole screen, even the little edges under the molding.

I just want to make sure im not taking off something that will cause it not to work anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by elrodvoss View Post
    Well thats where im stuck. I cant see someone putting 2 protectors on it, unless it was a blond moment kinda thing. Plus it seems that this "protection" covers the whole screen, even the little edges under the molding.

I just want to make sure im not taking off something that will cause it not to work anymore.
    I'm pretty sure there's no "factory" screen protector in place; it has to be a 2nd protector that the previous owner installed. Some screen protectors are designed to slide under the frame, so that no dirt can get in even in the corners and sides.
  5.    #5  
    Ok, thanks. I just wanted to make sure I didnt ruin anything. Im already worried enough about taking it appart, but I want to install the shorter antena(sp) and replace the screen.

Im also looking at replacing the shell, only cause I had my treo on my belt and I brushed up against a brick wall and scratched the hell out of the ear section.

Thanks for you input and help everyone.

Take care and fair thee well...