Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, so I'm not trying to be a troll and just come in here and complain, but I'm fed up with Palm. I'll start at the beginning.

July 2001 - I get my first Cell phone, it's the Kyocera 6035. Love it.
    August 2002 - Samsung i300 - Awesome. Color screen. Whoa!!!
    May 2003- Treo 300. Wow. This thing is even better. Who knows what will be next.
    October 2003. The new Treo 600. I get it within a week of it's release. It is far and away, the best phone on the planet.
    November 2004. I get a 650. Better screen, email, BT. That's about it. For $599? But I loved it.
    At some point in there, they released the 700p, which I didn't buy. Then the 755p comes out, and I jump on it. I got one within 1 week of its release.

Now here's the problem. I've been a loyal palm user since the beginning. I've had a palm based PDA phone since 01. 6 years. But here's the problem: Palm sucks. This 755p has been NOTHING but problems. It randomly locks up CONSTANTLY. If I'm connect to a BT device, it runs HORRIBLY slow. It has randomly done a hard reset a couple times.

But you know the worst part of this whole thing. I got a treo 600 in October of 2003. Next month is October of 2007. 4 years, and what has palm done? Given me a treo 600 with BT, better screen, high speed data (we wouldn't have this except that Sprint was, IMO, yelling at Palm for it). In 4 years. Seriously. We've progressed from a 600 to a 755 in 4 years. I look at IPhone commercials and it makes me sick. I'm looking at my ANCIENT palm screen that is virtually unchanged from my i300. And I was just duped into buying this 755 for $429 (-$100 MIR for those who care).

I've been a BIG supporter of palm. When people would ask me about my 600 (remember, at that time, NO ONE had a palm), I'd tell them it was the best phone on the planet. And it was. I said that for a little while about the 650. But now. My answer is "Buy an iPhone".

Sorry about the long rant. I'm sure this has been posted before, but I didn't see anything, and just had to get this off my chest. I'm done with palm. I keep going to the Sprint store in hopes that something else will jump out at me. But, unfortunately, I don't know what to get.

For those who have switched, what are some other good phones to try? Thanks.

D.C.
    I had a problem with my first 755p, but as bad electronics usually do, it reared it head right away and I got it replaced. This new one has worked as it should since then.

I have had issues with 3rd party apps that conflicted with each other that caused random resets, cause the SD card to not be seen after a reset or after another 3rd party app was added.

All of these issues were the fault of my own (by adding 3rd party apps that were not yet fully ready for the device) and the developers that obviously don't have the 755p to test out their wares, not Palm's. The device without those few "bad" apps were just fine.

Palm didn't make you or I upgrade to the new device (sounds like we both did it in May 2007). At least my 650 was still operational (I suspect you was too), I got the 755p because (like you) I passed on the 700p and wanted the faster Internet, extra RAM and better reception (oh yeah and a sleek nicer look without the antenna). I guess I don't complain too much because I understand how Palm works; small incremental changes that maximizes their experiences and exploits pass successes.

We are proof that their system works. A 600 user would most likely skip the 650 and get maybe a 680 or 700p. A 650 owner would mostly skip the 680 and 700p, but buy a 755p.

I know people to spend as much on a Razor or similar phone that does a 4th of what a Treo can do. That buyer and us, still chooses to upgrade within 2-3 years.

Why blame Palm? The phone does everything it advertised and a whole lot more via 3rd party apps. Not all 3rd party apps work yet, but that is to be expected months after a new device. Check your self and your apps and you will find that you have less to complain about then you think.

Yes, we want WI-FI and GPS and Bluetooth 2.0, but guess what? People will still be crying about something else when that time comes.

Palm is like the Detroit Lions, people may view them as loses but both sellout their respective products (Treo from Palm and stadium seats from the Lions) and both makes their owners a lot of money; even though they both would do better as winners.

The bottom line is this Palm has a very predictable and profitable business with very usable and versatile smart phones. The Apple iPhones have some nice hardware and software feature sets that are really nice; however, their product hardly appeals to the typical Treo user. Their appeal is first to those who love their music (music videos), those folk, who never had Internet on their cellular phone (or knew they could) and finally to those folk that are tired of multi-pressing .number keys to spell out a word for SMS messaging.

Apple hardly got it write either, as they didn't provide a SMS client, locked it to AT&T and made no way for the users to capture video and send them to Youtube.com from the phone; when this was clearly what the market segment they were appealing to wanted.
    Last edited by godschoice; 09/04/2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: I could not fit the entire message in the Treo Browser's text box.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    I agree to somewhat. I had a Samsung SPH-i500 flip phone years ago and the Palm software hasn't changed much. If you want a phone to do more you need a Windows based or an iphone. I like the simplicity of my 755P, but I don't need much in the way of communications other than a good phone with battery life for a day, e-mail and web capable. I will say this, my 755p has worked flawlessly. That I'm glad of.
    Last edited by msatow; 09/04/2007 at 12:59 PM.
    But you know the worst part of this whole thing. I got a treo 600 in October of 2003. Next month is October of 2007. 4 years, and what has palm done? Given me a treo 600 with BT, better screen, high speed data (we wouldn't have this except that Sprint was, IMO, yelling at Palm for it). In 4 years. Seriously. We've progressed from a 600 to a 755 in 4 years. I look at IPhone commercials and it makes me sick. I'm looking at my ANCIENT palm screen that is virtually unchanged from my i300.
    Couldn't agree more. I've owned them all (see my signature below). Upgraded every time. The Treo 600 was a huge breakthrough. I remember getting mine like it was yesterday. It was the first week they came out (October 2003). I was so excited. And 4 years later we have barely progressed.

I wish Samsung had gone after the Treo. The i330 (successor to the i300) was a great phone. The i300 was a huge revolution, but Samsung came back 1 year later and made it so much better (faster, sleeker, better everything) with the i330. I'll say it again (I've said it before) -- the i330 was better than any Treo they've ever made -- except for one crucial difference, the keyboard. And that was 5+ years ago! 5 years is a long, long time in technology and gadgets. And we've gone sideways, at best.

Blackberry has finally woken up and come out with cool, thin, and functional devices. The new one is pretty sweet. I don't think Palm will be making any smartphones much longer if they don't catch up fast.

They need to do 4 things ASAP:

1) Thinner. The 755p with about 1/3 of thickness erased would be the goal. Maybe you cut an 1/2 inch or so of length but not essential. Don't mess with the keyboard.

2) Faster. No lag. And multi-tasking with ease.

3) Better screen. Iphone blows it away.

4) Less resets

A better camera would also be great, but not essential.
    Kyocera 6035 > Treo 300 > Samsung i300 > Samsung i330 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by msatow View Post
    ...If you want a phone to do more you need a Windows based or an iphone...
    These types of statements are where the real problem is for Palm OS. People make these types of statement and other less informed people think that a Windows based smart phone or iPhone can do more than a Treo. The truth could not be more farther from that. The Palm OS has more applications that offers way more things than either of these two can ever offer (with or without 3rd party apps).

People are often lead like sheep by the corporate IT or the sales people at the electronic stores or wireless shops to buy Windows with this same thought. The justification is that if I have Windows on my PC, on my laptop
    and on my smart phone, I will be in a better position. The truth is that it does not matter, the smart phone is going to be in a both of its own no matter what OS is on it. The other truth of the matter is that if a person was simply placing calls, SMS texting, tracking a few contacts, appointments and tasks, listening to a few music tracks and browsing a few pages on the Internet; either one these phones would be very capable of doing these tasks.

All three would do them differently; some with more clicks, swipes and pinches and some with less clicks, swipes and pinches. Some with bigger screens and some with smaller. Some with smaller "Real" keys and some with bigger virtual keys. The same THINGS done in different ways. Because we are all different, the small differences make for a big deal.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by msatow View Post
    I agree to somewhat. I had a Samsung SPH-i500 flip phone years ago and the Palm software hasn't changed much. If you want a phone to do more you need a Windows based or an iphone. I like the simplicity of my 755P, but I don't need much in the way of communications other than a good phone with battery life for a day, e-mail and web capable. I will say this, my 755p has worked flawlessly. That I'm glad of.
    That's the problem. See, I LOVE the simplicity of the 755p, and I don't really need it to do that much more than it does. The major problem I'm having with my (2nd) 755p is that it doesn't even do those basic things well. Palm has taken this horribly outdated OS and stacked and stacked and stacked more on top of it. And it's too much.

Seriously. I've had 2 hard resets where I'd have lost everything if I hadn't backed everything up to my computer. Versamail is spotty, at best. The Battery in my 755p lasts about half as long as the one in my 650. And the web browser is a JOKE!

As for "godschoice", you are right. No one made me buy this phone. I could have gone along and not had it, and it would have been fine. I just figured that they FINALLY would have gotten it worked out. Unfortunately, I've seen nothing but the opposite.

If the iPhone had a keyboard (most of the stuff I need my Treo for is email), I'd cancel Sprint to get one. But it doesn't, and I just can't imagine using an onscreen keyboard for as much as I type.

I never had an i330. I'm sad now. I didn't think it was much different than the 300, so I never bothered. Or maybe it's cause I was in college and couldn't afford it. I really can't remember. But I'm sure I had some reason for not getting it.

The 600 was AMAZING. I remember getting one, and going to the Sprint Store before they had them. People were amazed. For the first YEAR I had my 600, it never failed. I'd be at a restaurant with my phone on the table. Anywhere really. And people were ALWAYS asking what it was. And I could proudly say it was the best phone that had ever been made. Now, I'm lucky if mine turns on so I can show them. Although, most have already seen it because every 16 year old kid with a job has one.

D.C.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    This weekend I tested browsing versus the iPhone.

The iPhone loaded pages quicker using Edge, than Blazer did.

I'd buy an iPhone tomorrow, but I can't live without a few things my Treo does that the iPhone doesn't, like syncing my Outlook tasks and Kinoma.

Palm better get it together.
    I love those palm bashers. It seems to me that there is no phone in the world which would satisfy them.

It's always give me. give me, I want more.

There are so many other phones out there what you can buy and play around with.

Yeah they cost more but you guys are just too cheap to get them and play with them.

I run my 755P for quite a while in my business and without any problems. There are no hard resets or soft one.

I don't need another Web Browser on my Palm, get yourself a Computer for browsing the Web. For Emergencies it's good enough.
    Why in the world would I look at a 320x320 screen in my off time to browse the Web??????
    Versa Mail, yes not the most sophisticated e-mail program but I have no issues with it to check my e-mail on my server,Google etc. it works.
    It even does simple pushmail.
    Watching movies, why would I do that my phone.
    I have my PC at home and a HD TV with a large screen.

If you load your computer with a lot of Programms, I guarantee you that you have lock ups too. It's just a merry go around. Junk in Junk out.
    So just get yourself a live and stop irritating a normal phone user with unqualified comments
    Quote Originally Posted by cellwizzard View Post
    I love those palm bashers. It seems to me that there is no phone in the world which would satisfy them.

Yeah they cost more but you guys are just too cheap to get them and play with them.

I run my 755P for quite a while in my business and without any problems. There are no hard resets or soft one.

I don't need another Web Browser on my Palm, get yourself a Computer for browsing the Web. For Emergencies it's good enough.
    Why in the world would I look at a 320x320 screen in my off time to browse the Web??????
    Versa Mail, yes not the most sophisticated e-mail program but I have no issues with it to check my e-mail on my server,Google etc. it works.

If you load your computer with a lot of Programms, I guarantee you that you have lock ups too. It's just a merry go around. Junk in Junk out.
    So just get yourself a live and stop irritating a normal phone user with unqualified comments
    Curiosity, you say you have no resets. Do you use a bluetooth headset? I was not getting resets until I started using my BT headset on a regular basis. I thought it was the JX10 I bought. But, I changed from it to my Plantronics, to my Jabra BT500 and with all of them I am getting resets. In each of the trial, I deleted the others fromt the Trusted Devices.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Curiosity, you say you have no resets. Do you use a bluetooth headset? I was not getting resets until I started using my BT headset on a regular basis. I thought it was the JX10 I bought. But, I changed from it to my Plantronics, to my Jabra BT500 and with all of them I am getting resets. In each of the trial, I deleted the others fromt the Trusted Devices.
    I don't use BT HeadSet. This is maybe a way to pick on me.
    Oldfashioned user of an Ety Com Headset by Etymotic Research for quite some time already.
    Its a great Headset, as I can talk in a large Crowd without the other Site hearing whats going on on my site. It does serve me very well.
    One has to get used to it, not everyone will like it.
  11.    #11  

See, that's the problem right there. I'm NOT a palm basher AT ALL. I didn't want this post to come across as that way. You know how many Treo 650s I had during the 2.5 years I had that as my main, everyday phone? 5. Each one seemed to last about 6 months. But I didn't complain. Bluetooth? I was SOO excited when the 650 came out and I could finally have a BT headset. That was until I used the BT headset with my 650. Unless I was holding the phone 1 foot from the headset, it was impossible to have a conversation. However, during that time, I STILL supported palm, and would recommend it to anyone who would be using it's features. I always gave the same answer. "If you are going to use the features, this is the best phone on the planet". And I believed that with all my heart.

But here I am now, staring at my Treo 600 Rev 5 that locks up constantly, hard resets occasionally, and runs slower than molasseses in December. And I'm fed up. But I have been a HUGE palm supporter til now. But this is it. My next phone WILL NOT be a Treo, and I'm very sad to say that. But unless Palm can pull something out of their hat that is UNIVERSALLY loved and COMPLETELY reliable, I will be switching. And based on Palms track record, I expect to see Treo 600 Rev 6 next week.

It hurts me to say that. But I'm not a "palm basher". I'm just fed up. I do have one question for you. Why do you take my criticisms of palm so seriously. Even at the height of my love for Palm, I wouldn't have taken offense to someone else's criticism. Maybe you are the one who needs to "get a live". As for "Irritating a normal phone user", you chose to read it.

D.C.

I wish they had an applaud icon here. Nobody hates the Palm Company (for it's CS) more than me, but I can't say enough good about their product as much as I'd like not to. I've said this before, and I'll say it here. I have had no problems or resets with my 755 outside of my first battery rapidly discharging. Check the junk you're loading on your phone people, that's the problem. The reason the treos had such little change over the years is it was so advanced when it came out there's not much more they needed to do. True they could use wifi, but in reality, isn't EVDO pretty much the same and you're already paying for it? You'd pay for it even if you had wifi, anyone who says they wouldn't doesn't use the phone for the internet. In truth, unless I'm on PdaNET I very rarely use the internet, just data for email and DA, and I've always had unlimited internet.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by DavemanUT View Post
    See, that's the problem right there. I'm NOT a palm basher AT ALL. I didn't want this post to come across as that way.
    D.C.
    Ok I will take that back.
    I like to read the posts about the 755P on this forum, as I have just bought that phone and probably have to live with it for at least 2yrs.
    As I have no issues at present time with the phone (let's hope it stays that way) one feels somehow defensive when reading article like yours, especially when you have the same product and it performs without issues.
    Maybe I would react the same way if I would have similar problems, I dont know.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    That's right. The more apps you load on the phone, the more chances for problems. I've found what works for me, then I don't load anything else unless it's some kind of must have app, and, he/she/its here agree.

I hadn't loaded anything new for a long time, until I found out about Kinoma.

When I got a PalmV, I remember loading as many apps as I could. I guess I had app envy. Lots of crashes later, I quit dat.

My 755 never resets. My 700 used to, but not that often.

- Out
    Yes, I must admit I love my Treo 755p...I got the 700p the day it hit the SF bay area Palm shelves...Drove 50 miles plus a bridge toll of 4 dollars to get the 700p and paid full price. Left the Treos and now back to the 755p.

No it wont wow you like the iphone but to be honest...I dont want any HIGH END phone I CANT GET INSURANCE ON.

The 755p is stable and becomes unstable as you add every little app you can find, which I have done only to do a hard reset and start over with a backup called "working smooth" for a specific reason....it works with this software very nicely.

As for the battery -there are options...however what are the options on the iphone everyone speaks so highly of??????????????????
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I use my Bluetooth headset without resets. My Blue 755p died when I was paired with my headset; I tried to pair the headset to another device without turning Bluetooth off first. The device died and had to be replaced.

You may have a lemon.

Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    Anyone who says the iphone does more than a Treo either has no idea what a treo can do or has never used an iphone. About the only substantive thing the iphone has on an EVDO treo is Wifi and the huge screen. The lack of a real keyboard, for me, makes the iphone a bad choice. Also, the iphone can't be used as a modem for your laptop. Youtube on the iphone on EDGE is not nearly as nice as wifi. It is choppy and slow. Kinoma and EVDO make Youtube a pleasure. I keep going away from a Treo and come back time after time. It does what I need and it does it well.
    I keep wondering if you (Those that bash the 755p) have the same one I do.
    Except for battery life, this is the strongest Treo out of all those listed under my signature. Now, I am not doubting your problems but I wonder if it can be the fault of thrid party apps. I have been running mine and three others all with a total of 1 reset on 1 handset.

The only delays I know of is the slight white screen lag only when I switch from Chatter to phone app. I am very happy.
    It randomly locks up CONSTANTLY. ??? haha That statement doesn't make sense how can random be constant? Sorry not a serious comment since Im tired of people feeling the need to make topics that have no purpose other than to wine.
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    It randomly locks up CONSTANTLY. ??? haha That statement doesn't make sense how can random be constant? Sorry not a serious comment since Im tired of people feeling the need to make topics that have no purpose other than to wine.
    The best way to deal with these threads is silence...do not post/reply. There are so many lately. There usually members with relatively low amount of posts that evidently don't read this forum on a consistant basis enough to know that their gripe was yesterdays news.
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast