Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wonder when we will find out any real specs for the Centro. For a phone that is supposedly going to be announced/released/whatever in October, there seems to be very little information on it or even very much interest in it. Has anyone at Palm really said this is a phone for youth? That seems rather silly to me. In my mind, it is a low-end Treo for anyone that wants a smaller size and cheaper price. I would think it would be very popular. There are very few low-end Smartphones on the market these days. At Sprint, the Moto Q is about it. I've got a Q and am having lots of problems with it, so am seriously thinking about replacing it with a Centro.

Things I'm wondering - will it run most POS programs? Will it run Chatter? Just what are it's dimensions. Can you do DUN using PDANet?
    I am guessing its identical to the 755p with a smaller? battery and a microSD slot.

I am ready to "upgrade" as soon as I find out the price of the spare battery.

Oh yeah, I need the DUN hack to work on the Centro, otherwise its a deal breaker.
    The only sure thing about the Centro is that it's loaded with the awesome power of PalmOS Garnet and that it's 50% thicker and heavier than the competition.

Dear Palm: Cancelling the Fooleo was a good start. Now it's time to cancel this re-re-repackaged Treo 600 until you can figure out how to make a thin and light smartphone with a modern OS.

Hell, I'd take just the thin and light part if I can keep my old PalmOS apps, but I've vowed that my Treo 650 will be my last brick. Centro hasn't even been released and already looks stone-age compared to a 2-year-old Blackberry!

http://www.pdafrance.com/img/news200...pdafrance5.jpg

Like engadget said: Get Thin. FIGURE IT OUT. (I'd add: "...or die.")
    Take it easy, most of the thin Smartphones (Q, Blackjack) are not selling. Only Dash get it right. As for the Pearl, its not really a smartphone plus my friend's Pearl has really horrible reception.

She is a tour guide and 50% of the time her phone can't get a signal out of the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    Like engadget said: Get Thin. FIGURE IT OUT. (I'd add: "...or die.")
    Some problems with your argument:

(1) we don't know the exact specs yet of the Centro
    (2) those pics compare a qwerty device to a suretype, non-qwerty, why not make a more fair comparison?

Like look at how huge the 8800 is to the pearl, or the 8300 to the 8800.

Now maybe Surur can do one of his image tweaks and put them all together...

Just eyeballing suggests the Centro is larger than a non-qwerty Pearl, but smaller than the 8300 and 8800. How thin the Centro is is not known.

8800 vs Pearl
    http://areyouageek.com/images/8800vs8100.jpg

8800 vs 8300
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/blackberry/im...Berry83005.jpg

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    We don't even know what device is being pictured here or what Palm are releasing on the 12th
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Now maybe Surur can do one of his image tweaks and put them all together...
    Assuling the white and black pearl are the same size, this is the result.

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/3...browsermf3.jpg

However I dont think thats the point. The Pearl was the device that made the Blackberry acceptable to the masses. The Centro SHOULD be compared to the Pearl, not a bigger device.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 09/05/2007 at 05:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    However I dont think thats the point. The Pearl was the device that made the Blackberry acceptable to the masses. The Centro SHOULD be compared to the Pearl, not a bigger device.

Surur
    Cool, that gives some perspective...The Centro seems to fit right in between the pearl and the 8800.

I see what you mean, but still: we are talking non-qwerty vs qwerty. Obviously if you go with non-q, you can make it less wide, which is why BB went with it. It's one of their design choices but not their only one.

OTOH, substituting full qwerty for suretype is hit and miss--some are okay with ST, others loathe it.

I just view them as different form factors.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/05/2007 at 05:34 PM.

The picture also highlights how terribly small the keys are on the Centro...

Surur

Surur
    Ya can't have it all

Either wide and spacious keys; thin and small keys; thin and half the keys.

Remember, someone above was just moaning about how large the Centro is. Had Palm ditched the KB, people would have complained about that too...

It will be interesting to see how it fairs though for actual use.

Not sure what the excitement is about:

Comparing the screen to the rest of the device, it looks bigger to me than the 7 series.

With the present Garnet OS, the specs can't be much better. More memory, still no wifi or rev. A.

As I just said - SAME OS. Whooptie-doo.

I just don't see the hype. The 750-design is extremely ergonomic. Can't picture this box doing better in that department either.
    Just a quick thought. The reason I have has a blackberry 7250, motorola q, tytn, and now the treo 750 is for the full keyboard. After having my first qwerty device and then switching to the sda I could not live without the qwerty and switched back 1 week later.

I accept the width needed for the full keyboard and would be very curious to touch the keys on this centro.

If I understand correctly we are comparing the size of the centro as smaller than most qwerty device and we are comparing it to the pearl as a break in the traditional treo lie.

Regards
    graylion
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post
    Just a quick thought. The reason I have has a blackberry 7250, motorola q, tytn, and now the treo 750 is for the full keyboard. After having my first qwerty device and then switching to the sda I could not live without the qwerty and switched back 1 week later.

I accept the width needed for the full keyboard and would be very curious to touch the keys on this centro.

If I understand correctly we are comparing the size of the centro as smaller than most qwerty device and we are comparing it to the pearl as a break in the traditional treo lie.

Regards
    If this is a 320x320 screen, the size is not going to be all that different from the 755, 750 & 680. I don't see any problem with the size of this at all and think that the keypad is going to be very usable. Looks like it has the 680 phone ap on the European version. I wonder if it's going to be 3g? Do they have the high speed internet in Europe? Can't wait to see the Sprint version.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    It cannot be 3G, unless its EVDO rev O, which is not GSM (and not in Europe)
    I'm not sure about some people. My understanding is that palm made the Centro a bit smaller, cheaper, and tried to design it to go after the younger ones. I certainly can't see it being faster, having more features, etc..than the Treos.

As for thinness, what kind of pockets do you people have? This won't fit? LOL

Seriously though, i wouldn't buy it..cause i have a Treo and this is basically well...supposedly a lesser treo. I certainly didn't want a smaller keyboard or a cuter face. Then again, i guess i'm not the target here. They're going after the younger ones once again (from what they've said).

But...if they want to succeed, they need to make it easier. Pop over to the 700p forum and there's an old thread about how to play music and videos on that one. I'd imagine people want software (like itunes) to make it very simple and not this palm sync software hit and miss crap they currently have. Maybe hook up with someone so people can purchase songs and video which the software puts on an external card.

I remember my nephew buying the Sony PSP long ago and it ended up on ebay after he discovered he didn't find many games he liked (or used it very much..if he's home he's got xbox 360). Of course he could've used it to watch videos, hacked a browser at first, etc...but most aren't going to "work" so to speak to convert stuff. They want it simple.

Sure they could get Kinoma 4 or something else and convert stuff to play on treos..but they're not going to know this or want to do this. Palm needs to make it easy..

Still, I find it hard to imagine the younger ones digging this phone. Heck, apple just chopped prices on the iphone. In addition, they brought out new ones without the phone. They all got the cool interface and the easy solution to get media using itunes.

It's really good that palm abandoned the foleo because they have a lot of work to do and probably need to think about what they're doing and who they're after. If you want to target the younger ones then do it right. If you want to target..well..your remaining customers (as well as get new ones), then be innovative on the next treo.

Surur
    Surur....

Could you possibly do your pic magic with a Centro next to another Treo, and when you do the size ratio make the screens the exact same size. I'm convinced the screens are the same, and it will give a good idea how it stacks up (literally) next to the older models.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    Surur....

Could you possibly do your pic magic with a Centro next to another Treo, and when you do the size ratio make the screens the exact same size. I'm convinced the screens are the same, and it will give a good idea how it stacks up (literally) next to the older models.

Thanks!
    It cant be the same size, else the Centro would be larger than the 680...

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7...browserva9.jpg

The screen must be smaller.

Surur
    Last edited by Frenzytom; 09/06/2007 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Updated photo
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Sadly, not the revolution in size we had all hoped for...oh well.
    At least its in the same ballgame as the curve.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Sadly, not the revolution in size we had all hoped for...oh well.
    Besides the big question: thickness (?) how much smaller do you want a full qwerty device to get?

Eventually you'll have a teeny screen and unusable keys (something that is already alleged with this device). This appears to be less wide and shorter.

That looks to be what...2.4 inches for a screen? That's already too small, imo.

ps
    I love this photo stuff you guys do...lol, so cool. Someone now needs to put the centro up to...I dunno, the Dash. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast