Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I never complained about the front face dimensions of the Centro (though it does have a lot of wasted space on the front face between the screen and keyboard.)

I'm complaining about the ugly aesthetics and thickness. Even the PRPRPR $shots$ $of$ $the$ $sprint$ $model$ $that$ $have$ $it$ $carefully$ $angled$ $just$ $so$ $to$ $avoid$ $revealing$ $the$ $true$ $thickness$ $show$ $it$ $as$ $being$ $much$ $thicker$ $than$ $a$ $pearl$ $or$ $curve$ - $maybe$ $a$ $mm$ $or$ $two$ $thinner$ $than$ $a$ $650$.

(Good move making it black for Sprint, though - it's extra-hideous in silver. I hope the production models are black.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Someone now needs to put the centro up to...I dunno, the Dash. lol
    http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/255...browserhy3.jpg

Surprise! It looks a lot smaller, but of course its also a lot thicker. Screen looks to be about 2.3 inches.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Surprise! It looks a lot smaller, but of course its also a lot thicker. Screen looks to be about 2.3 inches.

Surur
    Cool . Yeah, it'll be interesting to see just how thick it is. Overall though it looks pretty pocketable. Whether it's actually any good to use is another issue...

vga4life: I agree about the silver. The Moto Q didn't begin to look nice till they dtiched that for grey/black as well.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    A while back Surur and G-funkster did some size comparisons with just dimensions.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=150957Post 16 & 17 I believe.
    http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...olf-vs-HTC-Vox

Seeing the units next to each other puts them more into perspective. 6mm's difference bewteen the Centro and Dash is about the width of a std wooden pencil.

The Centro is thinner than the 680 though (in inches in above post) 111.76mm x 58.42 x 20.32mm to Centro 105.3mm x 53.6mm x 18.6mm. Progress, but sloooow progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    The Centro is thinner than the 680 though (in inches in above post) 111.76mm x 58.42 x 20.32mm to Centro 105.3mm x 53.6mm x 18.6mm. Progress, but sloooow progress.
    Ahhh...I had missed the dimensions for thickness. Not bad, not great. At least it's close to the Vox.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    darn! I was getting excited about the centro's size until i saw these pictures. I want a phone i can just keep in my pocket. The bb pearl is perfect. Anything larger is still too big. The iphone is great too because of its thinness. All the treos are big and heavy.
    yep

but i will say that the Centro does appear to be more pocketable. will it be as heavy and close to thickness as a Treo, appears to be almost the case. yes, probably less heavy/bulky, but still not truly thin and light.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 09/06/2007 at 06:41 PM.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I hope it is iPod touch size. that is very pocketable. the problem is the touch screen, this will be one of the first in its price range to have a touch screen, more battery needed. on this GSM model, I wouldn't expect anything above a VGA camera and EDGE, especially for the size.

I really hope this does well, and i REALLY hope its easy to type on.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The picture also highlights how terribly small the keys are on the Centro...

Surur
    Yes, it would be quite interesting to see someone typing out a long text message on that thing.... I almost think a non-QWERTY keyboard with bigger keys, like the Pearl, would have been better.

TKOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ps[/B] I love this photo stuff you guys do...lol, so cool. Someone now needs to put the centro up to...I dunno, the Dash. lol
    This is provided they are getting the photo scales right Without some common frame of reference, it's hard to tell if one picture is zoomed in/out more than another. Maybe Surur used the technical spec dimensions to help with his scales. :P

TKOS
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting! View Post
    This is provided they are getting the photo scales right Without some common frame of reference, it's hard to tell if one picture is zoomed in/out more than another. Maybe Surur used the technical spec dimensions to help with his scales. :P

TKOS
    That particular picture is based on the leaked specs of the Centro, which includes some measurements. The other pictures are based on equivalent size of the same device in different pictures.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 09/07/2007 at 04:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting! View Post
    Yes, it would be quite interesting to see someone typing out a long text message on that thing.... I almost think a non-QWERTY keyboard with bigger keys, like the Pearl, would have been better.

TKOS
    Whether the key is usable or not I am not sure. For the younger or teenages, they can type very fast even using a small keyboard. I remember a competition held in Singapore, the winner can type 40 over words per minute by using the phone number keypad (T9).

For Pearl, I did hear a lot of users complaint about the keypad. Some of them switched back to the traditional BB.
    I used the sizes from sizeasy to measure for my mockup. I used actual images to get my results.*

*results might vary, give or take a few mm.
    Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Treo 700p -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Treo 800w -> Palm Centro ->Palm Pre!
    Looks like a dud IMO.

The kiddos want multimedia, IM, text, and the web and they want it easy to do on a cool, thin, widescreen device.

This still looks too much like what mom or dad carries around. Not to mention Palm will need altogether new desktop software for this or forget about it. Even so, there won't be enough storage for the kiddos.

It might appeal to current treo owners interested in a bit smaller device, but that's not who palm is after here.

I hope palm is working on something completely different in terms of a Treo 800 or 900. The whole thing needs to be redone..even the way you sync...the whole process. KISS (keep it simple stupid) needs to be applied to reach more of the masses.
    From looking at the comparison photos, I think the Centro will be a good and usable size. The screen and keyboard is a touch smaller than the previous models but I think the main thing is to maintain usability.

It could be smaller but I wouldn't want anything other than a QWERTY to work from.

As far as the PalmOS is concerned, I haven't ran into any major limitations with the exception of having a great list manager like Bonsai that would synch to my MacBook. I've tried Shadow but the desktop version is clunky and it's pain and jumping through hoops to import/export to/from OmniOutliner.

I'm an extensive FileMaker Pro user but FileMaker doesn't seem to think it's important to offer SD Card functionality which stinks...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12