Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Something really strange is going on with the Camera Patch.

Since I got my 680 I've had the problem of quick battery drain while doing nothing (i.e. standby). I had a 1~2%/hour battery drain. Once the Camera Patch was released and applied, the standby drain rate got reduced to 0.4~0.5%/hour, which was great. However, after a period of time the 1~2% drain rate came back. As recommended I have not applied the patch after soft resets. I would check on the version (CameraLib-camL V.3.1 after patch) and still would get the high 2%/hour standby drain rate.

So, I decided to start applying the camera patch after every soft reset (even if the version said 3.1) and so far my standby drain rate has been 0.39%/hour for the past 4 days.

Is there a problem with this patch?
    not that I know of, but if you load the custom roms provided on this site, the camera problem is fixed and the patch is no longer necessary. I find that my 680 occasionally lapses into a higher drain rate in standby. In my case, this is always, without any doubt at all, due to The Glen Phenomenon (TGP). I have observed this countless times now. It is triggered by the caller hanging up before I do, and I can easily detect it by looking at battery.prc and noting the mAh rate (which doesnt go below 15-20 during a TGP period, whereas it is normally goes down to 4 or 5 mAh), and by the loudish hiss that comes out of the rear speaker whenever I press a button. Because I am very aware of it now, I catch it early and fix it with a soft reset, but few people seem to have looked into whether they also have this problem affecting their drain rate. Next time your standby drain rate seems high, listen for the hiss from the rear speaker when you press the home button. If it is much quieter after a soft reset, then I would say you were suffering from TGP.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    DIG,
    You are right. After reading your posts, the original Glen's post, and doing some experiments with battery .prc I discovered I am another victim of the GSM drain bug (aka The Glen Phenomenom)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=135642&page=5

I hope someday we get a patch to fix this.

Until then, I guess "trigger happy" with the reset button (battery off/ battery on)
    Ahh, good, I am glad that you have identified the problem. Now at least you can avoid it and/or fix it. I dont think very much has been said about it, so Palm havent acted on it like they did with the camera patch. I think if enough users start to comment on it, then (assuming Palm reads some of these forums??) they might produce a patch (if one is possible).
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Well,
    If the fix is to do a reset or power cycle the radio, maybe it is a similar issue to the camera being on all the time and it can be patched. The radio being a new chip, I can see how this flaw fell through the cracks if testing was not exhausted before release.

I wonder if this issue happens to all phones or just to us early-adopters.

If they fix this issue it would definitely be a giant step forwards for the 680 and very likely to produce close to the advertised 300 "standby" hours.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfme View Post
    Well,
    If the fix is to do a reset or power cycle the radio, maybe it is a similar issue to the camera being on all the time and it can be patched. The radio being a new chip, I can see how this flaw fell through the cracks if testing was not exhausted before release.

I wonder if this issue happens to all phones or just to us early-adopters.

If they fix this issue it would definitely be a giant step forwards for the 680 and very likely to produce close to the advertised 300 "standby" hours.
    If they fix this problem I will be the first in line to get one. I just can't have a device that I need to constantilly have access to a power source...
  7. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfme View Post
    Until then, I guess "trigger happy" with the reset button (battery off/ battery on)
    What I do to avoid battery drain from TGP, is do an outgoing call after every incoming call. I discovered I do not require to dial a legit number; I usually dial 123456 or 123 & let the phone cuts off itself; & that usually tames TGP.

Try this; definitely better than resetting your unit for every call.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    The patch or fix should come sooner now that they dropped the foolio.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tck View Post
    What I do to avoid battery drain from TGP, is do an outgoing call after every incoming call. I discovered I do not require to dial a legit number; I usually dial 123456 or 123 & let the phone cuts off itself; & that usually tames TGP.

I was just power cycling the radio (faster than reset)

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try
    Power cycling the radio doesnt always seem to work for me, but I will try these tricks a bit more. I am pleased to see that others can confirm the problem of TGP, I was starting to think it was only Glen and I and one or two others who have since disappeared (and of course mdavis except he just wont admit it publicly ). Come to think of it, Glen has also disappeared. Maybe we have stumbled upon something that Palm is determined to keep under wraps. Hey...who is that at the door....
    Quote Originally Posted by tck View Post

Thanks a lot, I am saved from multiple charges/day
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    Come to think of it, Glen has also disappeared.
    Nope, still out there. However, more reading than writing.

There's just nothing really new to report. Since I make sure, my Treo reports the message "hanging up" after each ended call (even if I hang up slighty later than the other party), I am a happy camper with my 680. Under light usage, it lasts for many days between recharging.

If I miss the "hanging up" message or I feel I pressed the red button too late, I initiate an outgoing call (to my home number), wait for the first ring and hang up. I don't need to reset the unit or power-cycle the GSM phone part. Of course, I will try tck's suggestion that the called number does not even have to be legit.

There are still some things that remain unclear to me. E.g. I could never hear a hiss sound from my rear speaker. I could also never reproduce the increased power drain users report when their Treo is sitched to mute. So there are still some experiments to be made.

And about Palm... Well... Although I'm really sad about it, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a ROM update. In the last time, Palm hasn't been too successful with updates. I don't believe they have many developers working on bug fixes, sorry. Especially the GSM power drain is so easily reproducible, one would think it should be easy to find (and hopefully fix)...
    I hoped, Palm had included a fix in the AT&T update, but since DIG reported his Treo would still sometimes burn its energy after ended calls, it seems this doesn't help either...