Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    ok so I have a Verizon 700p and I have the Palm wireless backup service on that Treo. I want to switch to Sprint and the 755p. I have the following questions:

1. When I get the 755p can I simply connect to the wireless backup service from Palm and download all of the data that was on my 700p and it will update the new treo (contacts, memos, call log etc). Will it all translate seamlessly from the 700p to the 755p?

2. I have a 700p car charger - do you know if that car charger works with the 755p?

3. I want to sign up with a Sprint SERO voice plan when I join up with Sprint. Does anyone know if it is true that you really get free unlimited internet with the voice plan?

4. With a SERO Plan you have to sign a two year agreement which is fine with me but my question is after the two years are up - will that SERO discount continue or will you have to sign onto a normal plan?

5. I live in the Northern Virginia/DC area(specifically Fairfax/Tysons) is where I spend my most time. Can anyone tell me from their experience how the voice and data coverage is in those areas in comparison to Verizon. Specifically does it drop calls? (verizon doesn't seem to).

Thanks in advance for answering these questions. This will help me decide to make the switch.
    Question 3: SERO gives you voice and unlimited data (PowerVision). Plus I think they are still offering unlimited text messaging. Check their website.
    Question 4: At the end of your 2 year contract you continue on same plan and rate.
    Question 2: Yes, it will. The Treo 650/680/700/755p all use the same type of charger.
    Be sure to check out SmartDeviceResource!

Device Timeline: Palm III → RIM 950 → RIM 957 → Tungsten W → Kyocera 7135 → Treo 600 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p → Treo 755p & 800w → Treo 755p & Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by aweyrich View Post
    1. When I get the 755p can I simply connect to the wireless backup service from Palm and download all of the data that was on my 700p and it will update the new treo (contacts, memos, call log etc). Will it all translate seamlessly from the 700p to the 755p?
    It has been recommended that 700P users reinstall everything from scratch after applying the 1.10 MR for the 700p and not simply restore a backup image. I would suspect that the same would hold true for a move from the 700P to the 755P. There are several ways to sync your personal data with PC based software, then re-sync it with your 755P later.

If it were me, I'd reinstall all of my third party apps manually and re-sync my personal data using means other than a backup image restore or a hotsync restore. No need taking the chance of pulling some bad data to your new 755p and making it unstable in some way.

TKOS
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Thank you to all three of you who replied - all of those answers were exactly what I needed to make the move........I do have one more question based on what you said TKOs. Please reply back if you see this. I agree with what you said about being careful with bad code going from the 700 to the 755 and thakn you for saying what you would do but I had a little trouble understanding the specifics that you would do. I have a ton of memos and calendar info that really needs to be transferred in an easy way......which is the lesser evil in your eyes........traditional hotsynching or using the Palm Wireless Beta Backup software (I do both and just don't know which direction to go in) OR would you do it a different way?
    Hi aweyrich!

A clean install is one method to transfer your PIM data and to make sure no "bad code" from the 700p third party apps comes along:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=129710

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/03/2007 at 09:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    It has been recommended that 700P users reinstall everything from scratch after applying the 1.10 MR for the 700p and not simply restore a backup image. I would suspect that the same would hold true for a move from the 700P to the 755P. There are several ways to sync your personal data with PC based software, then re-sync it with your 755P later.

If it were me, I'd reinstall all of my third party apps manually and re-sync my personal data using means other than a backup image restore or a hotsync restore. No need taking the chance of pulling some bad data to your new 755p and making it unstable in some way.

TKOS
    NICE AVATAR....
    Quote Originally Posted by aweyrich View Post
    Thank you to all three of you who replied - all of those answers were exactly what I needed to make the move........I do have one more question based on what you said TKOs.
    Given that all you want to do is restore date you currently have on your Treo, I would probably just use Palm Desktop. Do a hotsync to syncronize your Treo with Palm Desktop. Make sure your Hotsync conduits are set to, as a minimum, have the handheld overwrite the desktop. This will update Palm Desktop with all of your current Treo data. Once you've done this, open Palm Desktop. One at a time; select PIM icons from the left (e.g., Calendar), select the File menu, and then the export option. This will allow you to save archive export files for each of the PIM app data that you want to save.

Once you've done this, fire up your new 755p and give it a different name than what you were using for your 700p. This will alow you to hotsync the 755p under a fresh Palm Desktop account without pulling 700p data across. Once you've synced the 755P, open the Palm Desktop 755P user from the upper left (i.e., the 755p Treo name you created). One at a time; select the PIM apps from the left icon bar, select the File menu, and then import. Select the appropriate archive file that you created above when you exported your data. Once you've finished importing all of your personal PIM data, run a hotsync on your 755P. You should now have all of your 700p PIM data on your 755P. If not, you alwasy have a copy under your old Hotsync account name.

Good luck.

TKOS
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    NICE AVATAR....
    Thanks.

I'm actually a really big Ali fan, which the character Apollo Creed is modeled after. This photo of Creed is so cool, but Muhammad Ali really is The King of Sting, The Dancing Distroyer, The Champion.

TKOS
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    TKOS, you are the man. Thank you for going into that level of detail. That is exactly what I needed to make a good transition! Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    Thanks.

I'm actually a really big Ali fan, which the character Apollo Creed is modeled after. This photo of Creed is so cool, but Muhammad Ali really is The King of Sting, The Dancing Distroyer, The Champion.

TKOS
    The Count of Monte Cristo.....