1.    #1  
    Ok, folks. For those who have followed the occasional threads I've participated in on this topic, you'd know that my hotsync port and my audio jack on my Cingular Treo 650 are long long dead. I've had to go to BlueTooth for sync'ing and any headset/earbud use for phonecalls and mp3's. BT is sssssllllooowwwwww and a bit buggy for sync and mp3 respectively.

Anyway, I was just thinking, hmmm, what would I pay for a fix? I'm thinking $50. Anyone know where I can get a replacement Cingular "the new [dreadful reception] AT&T" 650 for $50? New would be great, refurb would be perfectly acceptable. My screen digitizer is a tad off permanently, so a replacement would be nice. I don't think the feature set of the latest greatest Treo's make it worth my while to spend seriously more bucks ($300-$500, right?) for a newer model. And although I'm not getting my hopes up, I'm holding out for a Treo in the future that is a real substantial upgrade over the 650.

So back to my original question(s),
    - how much would you pay for a replacement 650, probably refurb, and
    - where can I find it if it is to be had for $50?!?

-- Josh
    I have insurance on verizon, but if my 650 would go I would hope the $50.00 deductible would go to a 650 and not a 700p.
    About $100 is all I would go to.
    I have a Treo 650 I don't use very often, in very good condition, but I wouldn't take less than $150 for it.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Ok, folks. For those who have followed the occasional threads I've participated in on this topic, you'd know that my hotsync port and my audio jack on my Cingular Treo 650 are long long dead. I've had to go to BlueTooth for sync'ing and any headset/earbud use for phonecalls and mp3's. BT is sssssllllooowwwwww and a bit buggy for sync and mp3 respectively.

Anyway, I was just thinking, hmmm, what would I pay for a fix? I'm thinking $50. Anyone know where I can get a replacement Cingular "the new [dreadful reception] AT&T" 650 for $50? New would be great, refurb would be perfectly acceptable. My screen digitizer is a tad off permanently, so a replacement would be nice. I don't think the feature set of the latest greatest Treo's make it worth my while to spend seriously more bucks ($300-$500, right?) for a newer model. And although I'm not getting my hopes up, I'm holding out for a Treo in the future that is a real substantial upgrade over the 650.

So back to my original question(s),
    - how much would you pay for a replacement 650, probably refurb, and
    - where can I find it if it is to be had for $50?!?

-- Josh
    Well, ebay is most likely going to be the cheapest you can find, however it will not be a new (refurbished) model. You'll be hard pressed to find a treo for less than $125 that is in good shape. I got lucky on mine and got it for $80 but it was pretty scratched up. A $25 new housing fixed that.

I would be stunned if you can find one for $50 that isn't part of a replacement/insurance from your provider.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ntjoe View Post
    Well, ebay is most likely going to be the cheapest you can find, however it will not be a new (refurbished) model. You'll be hard pressed to find a treo for less than $125 that is in good shape. I got lucky on mine and got it for $80 but it was pretty scratched up. A $25 new housing fixed that.

I would be stunned if you can find one for $50 that isn't part of a replacement/insurance from your provider.

Yup, did check eBay to see that typical prices are in the $100-$125 range. I was hoping that there was some way to get refurbs inexpensively for this discontinued model.
    -- Josh
    I just bought my Treo 650 on ebay for $125 and it is in awesome excellent condition. From a private seller, not an electronic store that sells a million refurbs; this seller took great care with her treo for sure. She upgraded to the 700p, and I lucked out with a Buy It Now price. I am happy and feel that $125 for this great used condition is very fair. I have seen the 650 go as high as $180 though.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Yup, did check eBay to see that typical prices are in the $100-$125 range. I was hoping that there was some way to get refurbs inexpensively for this discontinued model.
    -- Josh

I was in the same boat when I bought mine. However, one thing to remember is that despite it being a discontinued model it is still very effective and popular. Additionally there is a ton of software out for it still and it still has plenty of processing power.

Best advise is to check from time to time and you can luck into one for a better price.
    Check Craigslist also, their prices are usually in line with Ebay's, but you get to see it before you buy it, and you don't have to pay for shipping.
    Cingular got rid of their refurb'd 650's for $99 once the new production had ended and the model was obsoleted. That's about as low as it is going to go from any reputable source.

As soon as another model is obsoleted, that one will probably be cleared out at the same price as well. But even then...You think you'll get a working clean not-worn-out 650 for anything less? You've tried cleaning the synch c able contacts or using a new synch cable?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
    You've tried cleaning the synch c able contacts or using a new synch cable?
    Oh yeah, been there, done that, written about in several threads of this forum! The entire set of bottom connections, audio jack and sync port, are long gone. Tried three different sync cables, a cradle, alcohol cleansing of the contacts, everything. I wouldn't be toiling with ssssslloowwwwwwww BT were it operational!
    -- Josh